Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Full Sail - almost poured it down the drain. Tastes like water with hop essence poured in from a bottle. Ouch.
    Buried at Sea - very sweet and the chocolate/milk taste is predominant, not enough beer taste going for me there.

Hurricane and Cyclone were positive numbers for me. Preferred Hurricane, Cyclone had some strange (but not wholly in a bad way either, just uncanny or something) aftertaste going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Profanity Stout.

Yeah, that was a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Inishmacsaint from fermanagh. a nice pale beer, with some hops.

Then belfast blonde. not as nice as the inishmac.

Widmer Brothers Hopside Down. Really nice IPA. Got it in Superquinn, give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Hoptimum. I´d been meaning to drink this for a while. A curious beer, really. At first it tastes really resiny. I´d seen comments here that it was a bit unbalanced and I would definitely have agreed with that. Now about one third of the way through it seems to have mellowed out. It´s very alcoholic but despite the high IBU rating it has a lot of malty sweetness to it. It´s both bitter and sweet at the same time. For a fiver or whatever it cost I´m not sure I´d buy it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

A buried at sea and oppale 32, not a bad Monday.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Widmer Brothers Hopside Down. Really nice IPA. Got it in Superquinn, give it a go.

Oh and their Nelson Imperial IPA is very impressive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So, Buried At Sea is delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Grayditch wrote: »
    Oh and their Nelson Imperial IPA is very impressive.

Love their stuff, delighted to see that Superquinn are stocking it.

I've got some 8 degrees hurricane for tonight and 2 bottles of the Franciscan well Jameson aged stout.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Love their stuff, delighted to see that Superquinn are stocking it.

That Nelson IPA is €2.79 in there , also buy 5 get one free. Great value for such a good beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Crean's on tap, Kinnegar's IPA (quite hoppy) and amber, Ór (€3.80 a pint) and an O'Hara's stout, in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Didn't enjoy either of the 8 Degrees cyclone/hurricane beers, they made me really red in the face too(which never happens with craft beers). Anybody tried The Wild Beer Co beers in drinkstore ? Their modus operandi and hoppy are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

jsa112 wrote: »
    Didn't enjoy either of the 8 Degrees cyclone/hurricane beers, they made me really red in the face too(which never happens with craft beers). Anybody tried The Wild Beer Co beers in drinkstore ? Their modus operandi and hoppy are excellent.

I had the Wild Beer Wildebeest last night. A very tasty imperial stout. Had a lovely complex body with plenty of chocolate, coffee and vanilla plus some lovely cherry and plum flavours too. Full body without being overtly heavy and the only minor gripe is that I thought it was a bit over carbonated.

I got a taste of their Bliss the other night too. I wasn't a huge fan but then I'm not always a huge fan of the style and the few beers I've had with Brett I haven't liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Just got Smithwick's PA, Belfast Lager, Proper Job and O'Hara's Red Ale in Tesco.

But the only beer I'm going to make a point of drinking this week is Ormeau Dark.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Two for comparison tonight.

Up first was the Dungarvan Black Rock stout. It came straight from the fridge in the pub so it was quite a bit cooler than the recommended 10°. Large head. Nice and enjoyable, but not in my own Top 3.

Went back for another bottle of Buried At Sea to make sure last night's wasn't a fluke. It's just as good the second time, gorgeous. No head to speak of though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had a pint if Moonbeam by Matalman last night. I thought it was very drinkable but nothing too memorable at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tried buried at sea last night.
    Far too sweet for my taste. I thought it had a distinctly sugary finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Went back for another bottle of Buried At Sea to make sure last night's wasn't a fluke. It's just as good the second time, gorgeous. No head to speak of though!
    Had a bottle of it last night, absolutely no carbonation whatsoever. I'd read on here by a few people that there was little to no carbonation so I poured vigorously but still nothing.
    Was this a conscience decision by the brewer? If so, it was a terrible decision. I think a bit of carbonation would've made a huge difference to the beer. It just tasted too sweet and sickly without it. It reminded me of the first time I had O'Hara's Stout on Cask, nice, but a bit like the taster you have of a homebrew stout before bottling.

There was also a strange taste of (now bear with on this) the smell you get from a bootmakers (boot polish?). :o although I think that'd come from the dark malts.

I had the Full Sail last week and thought it was beautiful, one of the best Irish IPA's I've had, perfect carbonation too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Tyskie-honestly a very decent cheap lager, good bang for your buck at 5.6% as well.

My go to when there's no craft available or if I know someone is calling who's a bit set in their ways

A decent beer IMO.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I had the Full Sail last week and thought it was beautiful, one of the best Irish IPA's I've had, perfect carbonation too.

I have a bottle of Full Sail in the fridge for this weekend. Really looking forward to it after reading a few posts in this thread recently.

I have a bottle of Full Sail in the fridge for this weekend. Really looking forward to it after reading a few posts in this thread recently.

It reminded me a bit of O'Hara's IPA, only less bitter, a tad sweeter, and less carbonated (which was a good thing, I find O'Hara's can be a bit over carbonated a lot of the time)

I wonder what was going on with my bottle of Full Sail. Very mild hoppiness, no malt profile at all to be found, carbonation very low.

AFAIK the first round of bottles from Galway Bay had a problem with carbonation but this was fixed in the second run.

I had a bottle of Full Sail in Skelly's in Ballymahon (they had all the Galway Bay range, two McGrath's, Mortons Oyster, a few Schneider's and a few other random beers, pleasantly surprised) and the carbonation was spot on. got a nice head which lasted all the way down the glass and left a lot of lacing. I'd had one a few weeks previously and it was a lot less carbonated.

Are they bottled conditioned?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Are they bottled conditioned?

Nope.

They are all filtered.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Nope.

They are all filtered.

Oh. I was thinking that maybe that was the reason for the lack of carbonation. My Full Sail was in a warm enough room for a week or two and it was fine, but that said, so was the Buried at Sea and that was under carbed.

I got my Full Sail from Redmonds last week. The carbonation might have not even been that bad, the wateriness of it all just made it seem very flat. I've had similarly weak pales before (the Aldi version of O'Hara's is a bit like this, but even that one is at least somewhat enjoyable), but honestly this reminded more of a few drops of this in a bit of water than an actual IPA:
    Dormeasan50mlUK%20(Copy)-650x650.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

snowblind wrote: »
    (the Aldi version of O'Hara's is a bit like this, but even that one is at least somewhat enjoyable),

I had a dodgy bottle of that when it came out too but I think it might have been a bad batch. It's grand now, great price for a pale ale.

• Advertisement

snowblind wrote: »
    I got my Full Sail from Redmonds last week. The carbonation might have not even been that bad, the wateriness of it all just made it seem very flat. I've had similarly weak pales before (the Aldi version of O'Hara's is a bit like this, but even that one is at least somewhat enjoyable), but honestly this reminded more of a few drops of this in a bit of water than an actual IPA:

I honestly couldn't disagree with you more.
    I think Full Sail is, probably, one of the 2 or 3 best pale ales brewed in Ireland, the other two being O'Hara's IPA and Metalman with Hopplehammer being not far off the first 3.

I find that Full Sail is probably the MOST like an american style IPA of any of the irish pale ales and has a lovely malt backbone to support he massive Cascade, Colombus and El Dorado presence.
    I've been a fan of it for a while now after not liking the early versions at all and it's only getting better since they moved into the new brewery. I actually find the bottles taste better than the draught, which is very rare.
    I love he big cascade hit on the nose and I find the finish is exceptionally dry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement