Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Magic Hat Hex Ourtoberfest. Bit weak on flavor but not bad overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

i had so many diffrent beers last night at the ireland craft beerfest in the rds. the highlites were white gpsy oak aged stout very unusuall 7.5% abv and a very easyly drank metalman windjammer cask ale. shame i cant make it to any of the rest of the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Had a few Nogne O's delivered to the house last week along with some other choice selections. It was my first time trying the Nogne brews and I had heard a lot about them but when I tasted the 100 batch barley wine I was a little let down. Don't get me wrong-it was really nice but it wasn't on a par with any of the decent American barley wine style ales.

However, last night I had the Nogne IPA and it blew me away. Beautiful it was and reaffirmed my love for craft beers. Possibly the best IPA I've ever had not counting double/imperial IPA's.

I'll be purchasing a few more of these for posterity.

On a side note, I also tasted the Victory Hops Wallop last week. Very nice as well. It's all in the hops and I love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

My order from drinkstore arrived, last night I had

Rogue Amber Ale - Very drinkable amber, almost red beer, with a nice amount of hops.

Rogue Mocha Porter - Very nice, strong taste of chocolate malt, slight burnt taste, would have preferred it in a 500ml bottle ;).

Trouble Brewing Or Bottle - Had a pint of this ages ago in the porterhouse, remembered it as a straight up golden ale, it was still the same, nice but nothing amazing.

Thornbridge Wild Swan White Golden Pale Ale. - Not too impressed with this one, poured a funny pale colour, tasted like very little, didnt have much to offer, very disappointed.

Roll on the rds this sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rogue hazelnut brown nectar last night.
    It just didn't quite work for me - I struggled to finish the bottle to be honest.
    If you love Frangelico and brown ale, then it's for you.;)
    I quite like both but not together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm rather enjoying a pint of Metalman Alternator in the Bierhaus in Cork right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Krombacher Pilsner

Erdinger Heffe

Forst Italian Beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Flying Dog Dogtoberfest Marzen. The least-caramelly marzen I've tried (which I like). Good beer but awful name. The worst of their dog-related-pun-based names.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Gandhi wrote: »
    The worst of their dog-related-pun-based names.
    Miles better than "Raging Bitch", IMO.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Miles better than "Raging Bitch", IMO.

"Raging Bitch" and "Doggy Style" are my favorites of their names. "Snake Dog" and "In-Heat Wheat" my favorites of their beers.

http://www.joesixpack.net/columnArchives/2011/072811.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

had brewdogs 5am and punk IPA last night, quite nice to have just one bottle of each, distinctive flavors that i feel that having more would ruin the enjoyment.
    had 5am quite a few times now and its growing on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Having a bottle of Brouwerij De Molen - Op & Top.
    I really don't know what to make of it. Overwhelming taste is the slightly bitter chalky aftertaste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Flying Dog - Old Scratch...it's their Amber Lager and is extremely nice and easy to drink.

Also tried quite a few variations of Sam Adams last night, with the pumpkin beer probably being the nicest.

Rogue Mocha Porter - I liked this a lot - followed by a Headless Dog.
    I had forgotten how much I like Headless Dog - seriously good beer.

• Advertisement

Anderson Valley Brewing Co. - Hop Ottin' IPA

Beautiful example on an American IPA. Lovely caramel sweetness rather than all out sugary sweetness that you get with a lot of versions of this style, as well as the piney citrusy hop notes.

Second beer I've tried from Anderson Valley and I've been very impressed both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Rogue Mocha Porter - I liked this a lot - followed by a Headless Dog.
    I had forgotten how much I like Headless Dog - seriously good beer.

Just had a Mocha Porter myself, a seriously good beer from a seriously good brewer. I love the fresh grounded coffee-mocha earthiness, gets me every time.

I'm also drinking the Rogue American Amber ale, not as good as the porter but a worthy brew. Quite sweet - caramel, forest fruits, light nuts, not bad at all.

Eramen wrote: »
    Just had a Mocha Porter myself, a seriously good beer from a seriously good brewer. I love the fresh grounded coffee-mocha earthiness, gets me every time.

I'm also drinking the Rogue American Amber ale, not as good as the porter but a worthy brew. Quite sweet - caramel, forest fruits, light nuts, not bad at all.

Had a few from the rogue brewery myself lately, the mocha porter is lovely, had the shakespeare oatmeal stout, 7 quid for a 710 ml bottle, bit steep, but worth trying, very smooth and a nice burnt flavour in there. Wasn't overwhelmed by the american amber, but a good beer, would certainly drink a 6 pack, I also have a bottle of the juniper pale ale which will be interesting to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Picked up a few beers earlier today

Goose Island IPA x 2
    Sierran Nevada Torpedo x 2
    8 Degrees Irish Red
    8 Degrees Howlin Ale
    5am Saint
    Breweyed Blond

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Nøgne-Ø pale and india pale ale from O'Briens.

I have heard so much about this brewery, and yet I still dithered over the 6.25 and 6.75 euro price (could be out by a few cents but it's thereabouts).

I've paid upwards of 10 euro for a bottle of anniversary beer before, or for a large bottle of belgian, but something in me rebelled at forking out that much for .5l bottles. I guess you could also make the argument that, if you measured it by volume to price ratio alone (even factoring in alcohol content) then we pay a fair bit for the likes of 330ml Brewdog offerings.

Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard... At any rate.

I had the pale ale last night and I must admit I was a little dissapointed. I think I 'get' what they have done with this, and the india pale ale which I am drinking as I type this, but I can't help but feel like the use of pacific coast hops is a bit redundant - why wouldn't I just drink any one of a number of American offerings?

These are very good beers, no doubt (I far prefer the india pale ale btw). But I don't think I will be buying a pair of them versus, for example, twice the number of O'Hara's, for the same money. Not for an American style ale made in Scandinavia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Does anyone know if you can still get Harp Lager in Ireland?

Yes, you can. Supermarkets for one, but some bars have it on draught too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IVIada

Tyskie or Tuborg, depending if I'm going to be playing beer pong or not!!

Yes, you can. Supermarkets for one, but some bars have it on draught too.

Thanks. Myself and a friend were talking about it last night and I got a tasting for it but didn't have a clue where to get it. If I manage to find it I'll be drinking that this weekend, if not I'll be getting some bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

was in Manchester and picked up a few btls to bring home.got some

Moorhouses- Pendle witch brew
    Jennings - Cumberland ale and Sneck lifter.

must have had 10 different pts of ale in a number of pubs around the Oxford rd area with my favourite pub being Lass o Gowries.they had a few pts at £2.

blueshed wrote: »
    Lass o Gowrie
    Weird pub, in a nice way.

"You know what this wall needs? An Amiga, an Atari ST and a bunch of Spectrums."

lasscomputers.jpg

"You know what this wall needs? An Amiga, an Atari ST and a bunch of Spectrums."

What no ZX81 ????
    WTF

Probably got nicked :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The opposite end of the spectrum is where the publican says

"You know this wall and ceiling needs more carpet" It's closed down now but it was in Rathcormac Co Cork. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Had the extreme pleasure of imbibing a bottle of Hogs Back OTT (available in Nenagh :)) the other evening. http://www.hogsback.co.uk/our-beers/

Taken alongside Morland / Greene King's Old Crafty Hen and the obligatory Fullers ESB.

Must admit, I would have happily traded the other two for two bottles of OTT!
    Was extremely impressed with this brew and am headin' back for more tonight..

• Advertisement

fatboypee wrote: »
    Had the extreme pleasure of imbibing a bottle of Hogs Back OTT
    I had a few of theirs recently. Rip Snorter is another cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I had a few of theirs recently. Rip Snorter is another cracker.

Was actually surprised to see pretty much the whole range in the Off Licence in Nenagh. Was in a mood for heavy hitters so each of my choices was gonna be +6% abv :) so shied away from the others. Will check out Rip Snorter. Did you try OTT ? In my view it's akin to King Goblin but actually the lower gas levels make it more palatable and I found myself badly in 'need' of another one...

Wonder what the cask pins are like, have friends coming over for Christmas :)..

fatboypee wrote: »
    Did you try OTT ?
    Yes. Very nice.

Had 4 from the Hogs range recently, Hop Garden Gold, BSAm Gardeners Tipple, & OTT. Wasn't overly impressed by any of them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Do people drink O'haras Irish pale ale for pleasure.I would gladly drink o'Haras stout for the rest of my life but the local offy had none tonight,tried the pale ale instead:eek::eek::eek::eek:2.99 for the displeasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

theparish wrote: »
    Do people drink O'haras Irish pale ale for pleasure.I would gladly drink o'Haras stout for the rest of my life but the local offy had none tonight,tried the pale ale instead:eek::eek::eek::eek:2.99 for the displeasure.

A fine beer, its for people who like a strongish, hoppy flavour to their ales, not for people who like the bland taste of lager for example.

I would gladly drink o'Haras stout for the rest of my life but the local offy had none tonight
    It's an odd trade if you were after a stout.

"I went to the Yamaha shop for a motorbike but they were out so I bought a piano." :p

If you havnt had a pale ale before, you mightn't have enjoyed it, in a month or 2 you'll be in the offo, it'll catch your eye and you'll try it again, probably with different results

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Playoff_Beard

Tried a few different ones recently:

8 Degrees Sunburnt: Heard good things but didn't enjoy it. Just not my thing I guess.

Breweyed Blonde: Less of a distinctive taste but I definitely preferred this.. but don't think it'll become a regular thing.

Lowenbrau Oktoberfest: Used to like this.. but now it tasted cheap and sickly.

Goose Island IPA: Ok this is clearly my thing. My favourite by quite a margin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Keo - Cypriot lager
    Mythos - Greek lager
    Mongoose - British created "Indian" lager, deliberate rival to Cobra

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Really enjoyed a few bottles of this stuff this week, got it in Whelans off-licence on Wexford St. The same week I win the presentation cased bottle of Smithwicks Pale Ale in the facebook competition. I think it's Pale Ale week at my house.The Titan stuff is strong in algae-hol and really hoppy, I loved it.Sorry if it's been reviewed here before, I'm a relatice noob. But I likes me ales. May have to pop out and get some now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dead Guy Ale on tap in the Bull and Castle. Nice hoppy and a slightly spicy beer. One of had another only Fullers Organic Honey Dew was also on tap so moved on.

This is a beer I just don't get maybe it's the sweetness but it's just not my thing. The honey was much stronger tasting than the bottled version so thank god I only went for half.

Picked up a nice little booklet too. Got talking to Jeff/Geoff (spelling?)in there and it was a delight as he out geeked me about beer which was great.

Beernut also well done on the book guide on Irish beers too. Jeff/Geoff mentioned you as his co author.

Finally got around to trying a bottle of College Green Brewery's 'Headless Dog'

For a Pale Ale that uses Cascade Hops it's pretty boring. No aroma, and no real flavour. I suppose it'd work well as a session ale, in that you'd certainly down a few, but that says more about it's blandness than it's drinkability.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

tyskie this week,its nice but couldn't drink more than 2 or bottles at one time.

Budweiser 15 wuid for 20 bottles in Centra. Might head to Dunnes or Tesco tomorrow and see what they have over their.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

1 x bottle of Galway Hooker. I still can't get into this from the bottle. It feels slightly flat, with a less pleasant aftertaste than the draft version (one of my favourites).

2 x 8 Degrees Sunburned Ale. Excellent, probably prefer this to the Howling Gale Pale Ale.

2 x Goose Island Pennant Ale. Biscuity goodness.

Deveney's in Dundrum have already ordered the new bottled special edition seasonal offering from Dungarvan Brewing. I believe it's a coffee oatmeal stout - I know it's been floated around before but I've not had the chance to try it yet ... Excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Helvick Gold with a nice Sunday dinner. Can't go wrong.

Thornbridge Jaipur IPA. Really nice grassy hops aroma, and it tastes like a lemon sherbet sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm currently in Oz and haven't had anything really spectacular yet. You have a good choice of good beers in bottle shops but nothing has really stood out yet.

The best have been a Murray's 2IPA and Byron Bay Dark Lager. Apparently Murrays do a very good Grand Cru which is a Belgian style trippel but they were out of it when I was at the brewery.

Anyone any good suggestions on what to try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yesterday, really enjoyed a Founders Centennial IPA. Had the bitterness of a Stone IPA. Lovely beer.

Tonight: a six-pack of Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA ($11). Americans just don't know how good they have it. Also had an Abbey Ale 'Lost and Found', which didn't really warrant its $8 price tag and a Lagunitas IPA (what can I say, I like IPA!) that tasted very ordinary after two bottles of 60 minute IPA.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement