Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Cork's Bierhaus are doing Aspall's cider heated up with spices for €3 a glass.

It is quite delicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That is a good selection. The Bonator is good stuff, everything you'd want from a doppelbock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

macs_hop_rocker_435.png
    monteiths_black_beer_single_bottle_350.png
    69111.jpg
    hallertau_first_four.jpg
    160244.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Got some;
    Meantime Pale Ale
    Williams Bros Lager/IPA Hyprid
    Brewdog 5am Saint

Anyone tried the Meantime IPA 7.5% that comes in the 750ml bottle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

irish_goat wrote: »

Yes, it's delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    I didn't like it: too bitter, too boozy. I'm a big fan of the porter, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Last night I had a pint of the nicest Cask Beer I've ever had. Dungarvan's Coffee & Oatmeal Stout. Just beautiful!

Also had a pint of Rouge's Amber Ale, which was lovely. Just slightly better than the bottled version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal Stout went down very well last night.

1st time having it and delighted with it. Was also tasting some smoked cheeses which made the taste even more stronger.

I would advise people to try that combo of beer and cheese.

looking forward to trying Metalman Pale Ale on cask in The Salthouse tonight, will be my last decent beer in a pub before I go back to Athlone for Christmas :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

CiaranC

Where did you pick up the drinks you posted above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Seaneh wrote: »
    looking forward to trying Metalman Pale Ale on cask in The Salthouse tonight, will be my last decent beer in a pub before I go back to Athlone for Christmas :'(
    Pay a trip out to JJ Harlows in Roscommon town. They have a pretty solid selection of beers on draught, including the illustrious Galway Hooker. Also Kin Khao (Thai restaurant in Athlone) has a small range of good beers to enjoy with your meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Pay a trip out to JJ Harlows in Roscommon town. They have a pretty solid selection of beers on draught, including the illustrious Galway Hooker. Also Kin Khao (Thai restaurant in Athlone) has a small range of good beers to enjoy with your meal.

Also Maguire's pub on Connaught Street in Athlone was revamped earlier this year and now has a fairly decent beer selection (particularly in bottles).

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Drinkstore seem to have just got in a lot of De Molen beers...definitely need to go pay a visit. Does anyone know if they are open on this Saturday?

edit: nevermind, I just called them to ask...like someone from the 90s. Yes they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Tonight's menu consists of:

Harviestoun ola Dubh, special 18 year reserve
    Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter
    and two bottles of Williams Bros. Midnight Sun spicy porter...

Sensing a theme?

The local offie is all out of the Orkney beers which is a shame as I was really looking forward to some of their hefty wintery offerings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

White Gypsy's Yule Ól at the moment, very very nice.
    Just a gorgeous dark ale, perfect for this time of the year. Actually, I'd drink this all year round if I could get it!!

Had Trouble's Dark Arts last night, also gorgeous.

Cracking Irish beers poppin up all over the place these days, getting hard to keep up!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Well the Harviestoun was bit overbearing, very heavy whisky flavours. - more about the strong flavour than the GOOD flavour imo..
    Flying dog was gorgeous, fantastic liquorice taste
    Midnight Sun - not bad, a bit on the watery side, more like a black lager than a stout/porter...

I won't be paying the fare for a cab from Athlone to Roscommon now to be honest, bit out of the way, but thanks for the suggestion. Kin Khao isn't bad but they tried to tell me that they couldnt get youngs beer anymore as the brewery had stoped trading the last time I was there (late november), I'd imagine their supplier had gone bust and the waiter just didnt know the difference but whatever, they only had 3 beer to choose from that night and I was really disappointedn because I was looking forward to an Old Engine Oil and was recommending a banana bread beer for my non beer fanatic friends to try for the novelty factor!
    Also Maguire's pub on Connaught Street in Athlone was revamped earlier this year and now has a fairly decent beer selection (particularly in bottles).

It wasn;t revamped, it was rebuilt, there was nothing but a hole in the ground on that corner for the guts of a decade. I'd heard they had a few beers but didn't honestly expect it to be any better than Richard Graces (which isn't great) selection wise. What are they selling? By chance would they have O'Hara's Leann Folain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

ronano wrote: »
    CiaranC

All on the north island, New Zealand. Savage craft beer scene here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

It wasn;t revamped, it was rebuilt, there was nothing but a hole in the ground on that corner for the guts of a decade. I'd heard they had a few beers but didn't honestly expect it to be any better than Richard Graces (which isn't great) selection wise. What are they selling? By chance would they have O'Hara's Leann Folain?

I was only in there once, about 4 months ago. The selection doesn't compare with the best pubs in Dublin or Galway, but it's the best I've come across in Athlone. The bottles included Thwaites IPA, the Chimay beers, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Sam Adams, Leffe, La Trappe blond and several others. They also had branded glassware for a number of those beers, which was an unexpected touch. The draught selection wasn't as good - if I recall correctly Erdinger and Fischer Helles were the only two 'unusual' beers they had on tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

ronano wrote: »
    CiaranC

They sell both of those macs and a few others in Probus is the city centre. They have monteiths black too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CiaranC wrote: »
    All on the north island, New Zealand. Savage craft beer scene here.

Montheits Black is one of my favourite beers, and is available over here in Ireland now, years after I first emailed the brewery to ask. Have you gone to the Brewery in Greymouth?

My Xmas drinking shall consist of

Dungarvan Blackrock Stout
    Porterhouse Celebration
    Dark Arts
    A Xmas 4 pack of 8 Degrees stuff
    Will also be in Bray for Stephen's night, so the Porterhouse will be in order also

I've a few bottles of my own Turbo Cider to try also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Chouffe ipa tripel x 2:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nøgne Ø Imperial Pale Ale, followed by my Homebrew Canadian Blonde (currently a semi-decent palate cleanser), followed by a Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest. The former, not as good as I remember it. The latter, first time tasting it, but a staggeringly good beer (hits all the right notes for me). The middle one? Jury's out. Needs a few more weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Got my Christmas drinking sorted recently:

Thrashy Blond
    Headless Dog
    Leann Foileann
    Chimay Red
    Chimay Blue
    Hardcore IPA
    Golden Or

Just had the Headless Dog and I think it was lovely. Very easy to drink but I do love my pale ales. Will definitely be picking it up again.

Only had a couple of the above before so looking forward to the rest of them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

107300602-BARBAR-BOK-beer.jpg

Really tasty Belgian winter beer.Clocks in at 8 per cent alchohol. It's not as heavy as I thought it would be either.

It kinda tastes like Dr. Pepper but looks very much like a glass of Coca Cola when poured. Very tasty. Regret only buying the two bottles mind. Bought it from Drinkstore but not sure how much longer it's available for given that it's a seasonal beer.

Two thumbs up from me anyway.

Sitting in Maguires in Athlone having a porterhouse plain. Very impressed by the bar, very good selection, just wish they had more Irish beers.

Also picked up a few old engine oil in dunnes to add to my stash for tomorrow :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Been enjoying Erdinger alot lately and noticed the local selling Erdinger Dunkel.

Anybody know what it is like? Is it similar to Ale? Like Smithicks?

It's a lot more like a brown than a ten but still different. I'd say their dunkle is a lot better than their wiess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Been enjoying Erdinger alot lately and noticed the local selling Erdinger Dunkel.

Anybody know what it is like? Is it similar to Ale? Like Smithicks?

The dunkel is really a nice dark lager, not over kill but very enjoyable

• Advertisement

Erdinger Dunkel is nice, but not the nicest Dunkel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Had some beer, I think it was called Dubliner or something, it was on draft and after ordering I noticed it was one of those ice cold taps. Horrible stuff, only 3.50 and 50 cent was going to some charity.

I'm having a Galway hooker in the old boro in swords. I'm impressed with the selection. On tap they have Galway hooker, oharas, sunburnt red. In bottles the have Galway hooker, oharas, eight degrees, brewdog, goose island and sierra Nevada. Hooker is 4.80 a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Des wrote: »
    Erdinger Dunkel is nice, but not the nicest Dunkel

Kostritzer is my favorite dunkel

Someone gave me a bottle of Shepherd Neame's Warlock's Broth ale for Christmas.

It's quite pleasant. Not too hoppy, goes down nice and easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just got 1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die book.

Best Christmas ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Great stuff, thanks lads.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Just got 1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die book.

Best Christmas ever.

Nah, best Xmas ever would have been the first bit of your post
    ciaran76 wrote: »
    Just got 1001 Beers.
    :D

Enjoying a sixer of Brooklyn East India Pale Ale over the whole day... Deeeeeelish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Last night it was an oldie but goodie; Theaskon's Olde Peculiar. Went down nicely at room temperature, I hasten to add. Christmas Eve saw me finally dip into two bottles of Old Henry I got recently; worth the wait.

Oh I <3 Old Peculiar! Really lovely stuff, and yeah far better off unchilled.

Not much in the way of beer in this house this Christmas. Plenty of yummy cocktails strong enough to disinfect surgical equipment though. ^_^

• Advertisement

Me and my Dad finished off Christmas day by splitting a Nøgne ø Two Captains. I'm not usually into really big IPAs, but Jesus that was gorgeous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Been trying Dungarven coffee and oatmeal stout over the last few days, lovely. However, had one bottle of old engine oil - outstanding. I started off on the Ales, but I have moved onto the porters and stouts, as they seem to have a lot more flavour for me anyway.
    Edit - forgot to say the Knockmealdown porter is excellent as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Been trying Dungarven coffee and oatmeal stout over the last few days, lovely. However, had one bottle of old engine oil - outstanding. I started off on the Ales, but I have moved onto the porters and stouts, as they seem to have a lot more flavour for me anyway.
    Edit - forgot to say the Knockmealdown porter is excellent as well.

Had my bottle of the coffee and oatmeal with a fillet steak for dinner today it went down very well, Im going to get a few more bottles of this before its all gone.

Im the same as you, nearly all my xmas beers were porters and stouts. Ive also been enjoying brown ales like sierra nevada tumbler and anchor steam brekkles brown.

My uncle gave me a few beers yesterday including a smoked marzen
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/263/727
    which I split with him, it was very smokey reminding me of a bbq sauce, dark and malty.
    At first I didnt think Id even finish it but once I adjusted I enjoyed it, not an everyday beer though.

I had that smoked beer before. I hated it and threw it down the sink which I very rarely do.

I spent christmas day sipping old engine oil and tonight having (mostly) porterhouse plain and a few ola dubh 12's in Maguires in Athlone. Would love to have a pint of old engine oil and a snifter of old dubh 12 to chase it. It's a fantastic beer. If you haven't tried the ola dubh range you have to!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I spent christmas day sipping old engine oil and tonight having (mostly) porterhouse plain and a few ola dubh 12's in Maguires in Athlone. Would love to have a pint of old engine oil and a snifter of old dubh 12 to chase it. It's a fantastic beer. If you haven't tried the ola dubh range you have to!

Do you mean a pint of old engine oil and a snifter of Highland Park 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

I think its this one he is talking about? It looks good, gonna havta try it purely for research reasons of course!

No I mean a pint of old engine oil and a snifter of ola dubh!

Highland Park wouldn't be bad either.

I think its this one he is talking about? It looks good, gonna havta try it purely for research reasons of course!

I've had that before. It is truly excellent.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

No I mean a pint of old engine oil and a snifter of ola dubh!

Highland Park wouldn't be bad either.

never had beer from a snifter before, the closest I've had is from a leffe/kwak/duvel type rounded half pint glass. Instinctively it seems wrong, I enjoy a full pour of beer.

I thought you were trying to suggest a diy version of ola dubh by drinking an old engine oil and a hp 12 side by side, which sounds like a far more interesting idea to me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement