Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

West Country Ales www.westcountryales.co.uk have some in stock. However it's only the beers under 7.5% abv. I think I read that with the high strength beer duty in UK the brewing of beer over 7.5% for the likes of Moor is uneconomical. Pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Quick question guys ... is WESTVLETEREN 12 up to the hype ...

i.e. is it worth paying €50 for 6 ... (Just to let you know I don't mind paying it but only if it is truly a top quality beer and not just hyped up to sell)

Seen it compared as "in a similar league to" Rochefort 10 which I do like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

i.e. is it worth paying €50 for 6 ... (Just to let you know I don't mind paying it but only if it is truly a top quality beer and not just hyped up to sell)

Seen it compared as "in a similar league to" Rochefort 10 which I do like.

Of the three Westvleterens, the blond was the one that stuck out for me - one of the nicest beers I've tried to date.
    The 12 was seriously good too but to be honest, you're paying for the rarity of it . St Bernardus Abt 12 is, apparently, the same recipe and is very good to. Rochefort 10 would be far from it either.

I think it is worth paying €50 for these beers, once - when else are you going to get to try them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

In a word, no. It did well in a blind tasting I ran a while back, but it's not worth two or three times the other beers in its class, including Rochefort 10, IMO.
    when else are you going to get to try them?
    I've found the whole range readily available in beer shops in Brussels and Amsterdam, priced in the €7-€10 range, but then you only need to commit to buying one. The downside is whether you feel guilty about buying on the grey market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Am trying to decide whether to order the Westvleteren 12 package also. I paid €10 for a bottle in Bruges and thought it was truly outstanding but, having already tried it, I find myself reluctant to fork out €50 for six more. A 3 x 2-bottle set featuring all three of their beers would be more appealing to me.

This week I've had a bottle of Brewdog's Hardcore IPA. I think some of Brewdog's beers are overrated, but this one definitely hits the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah I just went for it. Sure I'll have one every year for the next six years! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Having a bottle of Rathaus pils at the moment - from the deepest black forest as they like to proclaim!

I am not a fan of pils but this take on the beer type is actually quite pleasant.
    There's a tinge of bitterness as you are drinking it but t doesn't linger.
    And the bitterness there is there is enough to make it crisp but not overpowering enough to block out any subtle taste with a wall of ear wax flavor like most pils seem to achieve.

All in all a nice change from munich lager and weissbier that's my normal beer staple.

Rathaus pils is available in Ireland in the bierhaus in cork iirc. Not sure if there's an importer operating or of they do it themselves.

There's an importer. Loads of it about at the moment. One of the best pils around, IMO, but tends to be quite spendy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭boardsy

65243F955DD24829ABDB465D56B00CFF.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had a lovely bottle of Leann in the Salthouse tonight on my way home from work, was, as ever, yummy.

While there Tar give me a sip of their (Galway Bay Brewery) 3rd batch of Stormy Port.
    It's a lot different than the first two, and at 5.3% abv it's no wimp either.
    More chocolate and biscuity than the last two batches but a nice amount of bitterness so it's not too sweet.

Worth a try, hopefully they find a recipe they can settle on soon, all this change has be edgy :P

• Advertisement

More chocolate? They may as well stick a label saying "Dairy Milk" on it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I just left the Bund Brewery in Shanghai.

Tried their dark beer and their lager. Really nice! But expensive, about EUR 7 a pint.

Had Headless Dog and O'Hara's IPA, not a blind tasting. Prefer O'Hara's.

Very impressed with the quality of Irish micro beer in general. The best is on a par with the best in their styles in UK, USA (imho) The Irish drinker needs to open his/her mind and help the development of local beer.

BeerNut wrote: »
    More chocolate? They may as well stick a label saying "Dairy Milk" on it at this stage.

Try it, it's not a bad thing, it's got more going on.

Dark arts in bottles in the Salthouse tonight. Much prefer this to the draft stuff!
    Lovely beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Finished all my. Xmas stock of O'Haras IPA , Galway Hookers and Helvick Gold and bought a few IPA's for tonight.

Goose Island IPA.
    Hop head from Porterhouse.
    Brewdog Punk.

Of those the goose island would by my fave, lovely session beer!

Seaneh wrote: »

I like them all for their different tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Seaneh wrote: »
    Goose Island IPA is one of my favourite beers, but at 5.9% I wouldn't class it as a session beer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Checkpoint Charlie by the Galway hooker people. Very tasty, but the appellation "pilsner" will put off many on the assumption that it is GH's attempt to capture the smithwicks pale ale segment ie those who want a better tasting beer that is widely available.

the appellation "pilsner" will put off many on the assumption that it is GH's attempt to capture the smithwicks pale ale segment
    That's weird. I took it that Smithwick's Pale Ale is Diageo's attempt to capture the GH Pale Ale segment.

Sunburnt Irish red bottled it's a good beer but I do prefer the draught version. Draught seems to be a stronger taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

494px-Kwak.jpg

minus the glass sadly! otherwise gorgeous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've been living in the Czech Republic for a few months now so I've been opened up to loads of new beers. My favourite is Gambrinus, don't think you can get this back home.

You can. Just saw it on the shelves of my local offy.

Are you in Prague?

• Advertisement

You can. Just saw it on the shelves of my local offy.
    Hmm, never saw it when I was home, the Czech ones they usually have are Pilsner, Ceske Budjejovicke and Budvar.
    BeerNut wrote:
    Are you in Prague?
    No, Brno.

never saw it when I was home
    Just new here, apparently.
    Brno.
    Ah. If you happen to see any Pardubický Porter on your way round I heartily recommend it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

No, Brno.

If you've not checked out the Hotel Pegas alehouse I'd recommend it. The dark lager is fantastic.

http://www.hotelpegas.cz/hotel-pegas-brno-welcome-page/

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

I've been living in the Czech Republic for a few months now so I've been opened up to loads of new beers. My favourite is Gambrinus, don't think you can get this back home.

Yeah Slovak trade are bringing it in on keg and bottle. Also the likes of kozel dark etc are starting to appear although our last gambrinus order was a 4.1% variation that I am yet to try

Ronan cork wrote: »
    our last gambrinus order was a 4.1% variation
    Ohh, Gambrinus 10°. Even though it's the Pilsner Urquell budget brand I've found myself preferring it to PU when over that way.

• Advertisement

Had a liefmans kriek on tap earlier. A lot more sour than I remember the bottle being but it's been a while. Just cracked open a humdinger from Joseph holt brewery in Manchester and I really like it. Much more of a honey flavour off it than honey dew and it really goes down well. Not too sweet but a lovely burst of flavour.
    Anybody else starting to notice the standard of English ales available here getting better and better?

Still plenty of room for improvement though;)
    *cough*Magic Rock*cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hmm, never saw it when I was home, the Czech ones they usually have are Pilsner, Ceske Budjejovicke and Budvar.

No, Brno.

We're going to have to organise a pub crawl. I am sure I can find you better than Gambrinus. Velvet for a start. And Krusovice Musketyr.

Edit: And yeah, we need to start from Pegas.

syklops wrote: »
    Velvet for a start.
    :eek: Each to their own, I guess.

If there's any Kocour or Matuška knocking about, their stuff is usually pretty good, particularly the strong American-style IPAs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I picked up a gambrinus 11 and a kozel 11 in sweeneys yesterday. The kozel came with a free pint glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Had a bottle of Mikkeller Porter last night, quite possibly the nicest porter i've ever tried (needs to be left warm up for a bit before drinking to really appreciate it)...... beautiful!

Each to their own, I guess.

:eek:

How can you not like Velvet???

It, err, doesn't really taste of anything. *shakes fist at nitrogenation*

Gambrinus I love it especially when in Prague.

It, err, doesn't really taste of anything. *shakes fist at nitrogenation*

Are we talking about the same velvet?

• Advertisement

Had Meantime Chocolate Porter. Bit meh. Youngs DCS is better and Leann Follain is much better.

syklops wrote: »
    Are we talking about the same velvet?
    Reddish nitro ale made by InBev at the Staropramen plant?
    velvet.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Reddish nitro ale made by InBev at the Staropramen plant?
    velvet.jpg

Is that anything like the Staropramen Red that Pifko sell?

Thats the one.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

irish_goat wrote: »
    If you've not checked out the Hotel Pegas alehouse I'd recommend it. The dark lager is fantastic.
    I've been there a few times, can't say I care for any of their beers I've tried. The light ones are a bit too sweet and the dark ones are just muck.

I do agree with the recommendation of Velvet, that's pretty nice.

I've been there a few times, can't say I care for any of their beers I've tried. The light ones are a bit too sweet and the dark ones are just muck.

I do agree with the recommendation of Velvet, that's pretty nice.

Tbh, Im not crazy about most of the stuff in Pegas either. The food is good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Called into Bradleys North main street Cork on Sat evening, they have stocked up and have a massive range, I was like a kid in a sweet shop!
    I mostly stocked up on Knockmealdown Porter, my current favourite, they were doing 6 bottles for 11 Euro, and got a few more to try as well along with some whiskey samplers... I asked him about Writers Tears whiskey, he didnt have it but took my number and is going to get it for me. Excellent service.
    Below is a sample of my current selection at home, cant get past the Knockmealdown
    I also tried the Porterhouse Celebration, it has a pull ring that reefed one of my fingers, so be careful! (Still drank it though) :D

Called into Bradleys North main street Cork on Sat evening, they have stocked up and have a massive range, I was like a kid in a sweet shop!
    I mostly stocked up on Knockmealdown Porter, my current favourite, they were doing 6 bottles for 11 Euro, and got a few more to try as well along with some whiskey samplers... I asked him about Writers Tears whiskey, he didnt have it but took my number and is going to get it for me. Excellent service.
    Below is a sample of my current selection at home, cant get past the Knockmealdown
    I also tried the Porterhouse Celebration, it has a pull ring that reefed one of my fingers, so be careful! (Still drank it though) :D

I havnt seen that celebration... What was it like? Is it a limited edition brew or what?Apart from trying to take your finger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Over the last couple of nights I have enjoyed a bottle of Fyne Ales' Jarl, and Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne's Porter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Yeah,
    Hadnt seen it before either, there are actually 2 celebration's one is 7% the other is 11%.

I tried the 7%, quite nice but I'm completely biased towards the 8 Degrees at the moment.

They also had a bottle of stout for 69 Euro! 34%, I was temped but got whis key instead.
    Ronan cork wrote: »
    I havnt seen that celebration... What was it like? Is it a limited edition brew or what?Apart from trying to take your finger!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement