Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Maredsous Brune 8, St. Bernardus Tripel & Trappistes Rochefort 10 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Was feeling a bit brave in the offie earlier so picked up a bottle of Brewdog Tokyo, at 18.2% its definitely a slow sipping one but packed with flavor and like a lot of stuff I've tried recently an hour by the fire before drinking made a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Yeah,
    Hadnt seen it before either, there are actually 2 celebration's one is 7% the other is 11%.

I tried the 7%, quite nice but I'm completely biased towards the 8 Degrees at the moment.

They also had a bottle of stout for 69 Euro! 34%, I was temped but got whis key instead.
    Ronan cork wrote: »
    I havnt seen that celebration... What was it like? Is it a limited edition brew or what?Apart from trying to take your finger!

Yeah I was surprised to see that on the shelf to be honest! Was down there today to get more humdinger and some lad nearly got a bottle for €3.99!! Sadly Michael spotted it and gave the correct price! I was going to get 6 at that price! Seems brave to leave it out like that but I suppose thieves don't know the value...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

2 x odells porter - lovely porter, could drink it all night

4 x 8 degrees knockmedown porter - thought it would be match the above but it is also a really tasty and drinkable porter

happy night

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Have the following at the moment

Porterhouse Hop Head
    Jagged edge IPA
    Blue Heron pale ale

The Hop Head smells amazing, but the taste wasn't quite there sadly.

Never heard of the other two before, but thought I'd give them a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Have the following at the moment

Porterhouse Hop Head
    Jagged edge IPA
    Blue Heron pale ale

The Hop Head smells amazing, but the taste wasn't quite there sadly.

Never heard of the other two before, but thought I'd give them a shot.
    Wasn't that impressed with the Blue Heron, but the Jagged Edge is a beautiful beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Fyne Ales Holly Daze - Pours a lovely amber colour.
    Sweet caramel smell and a malty taste with a hint of spice.
    Not too bad will get another one soon as pleasantly surprised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This week it's been a mixed bag. O'Hara's IPA, Stout and Leann, Timothy Taylor Labdlord, Blackrock Stout (cask), Anchor Porter and Steam, Altfrankish Klosterbier, 5am saint and Trouble Brewing Dark Arts.

Been a good week for the auld taste buds!

Badger Golden ale - Well the minute I opened it I smelled grass and kinda sweet floral.

Nice slight sweet taste a hint of hops and malt. I would say this would be a perfect hot summer day beer to be honest.
    I also was a little scared going to taste this beer as it was a clear bottle and after reading many blogs about beer I now fear tasting clear bottled beers(joke).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had an Erdinger Champ for lunch yesterday (lunch of champions?):D

What a terrible weissbier!
    It looks like a hefe,
    It's called a hefeweizen,
    It has malted wheat before barley in the ingredient list
    but it tastes just like a bland lager:mad:

Still, the setting was nice and it's so long since I had beer before 1 O clock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Over the last few days got to enjoy taste some Bulgarian beers. Most of the indigenous beer brands seem to have been taken over by Heineken and Carlsberg, and all that's left are some unspectacular pilsner type beers. I was told about better brews, but didn't manage to find any of them. Some of the Bulgarian wines fared a lot better.

odells myrcenary, lovely ipa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

odells myrcenary, lovely ipa

Having a 90 shilling as I type. This is, apparently, their entry level beer.
    Such good beers, all round.
    A class apart in my limited experience!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Love Odell's, must try Myrcenary as am a huge DIPA fan. I don't suppose any of the Irish craft breweries make a DIPA(or are planning to) ?

themandan6611, Odell's Red Ale and 5 Barrel Pale Ale are amazing as well. Love the bottle art too !

Has anybody tried their new Bourbon Barrel Stout ? It ain't cheap at 27 euros for a 750 ml bottle.

http://odellbrewing.com/beers/single-serve-landing/bourbon-barrel

Will be drinking Flying Dog's Horn Dog this week, I quite like these barely wine beers. The Sierra Nevada one is good too, Brewdog's one didn't do it for me though. Are there any other barely wine's worth trying ?

but the Jagged Edge is a beautiful beer.
    Agreed !

Had a Thornbridge Black IPA last week, very very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Sooooooo happy!

Sitting here in Beijing on my second bottle of Leann Foliann!

I've been craving them for months (they were imported for me).

Nearly impossible to get stout here. A few bars sell Guinness but it's about EUR 8 a pint and they're a bit pissy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

chocolat.jpg

Felt i needed to be drinking it more during the summer but even with that it had overpowering chocolate syrup taste to it which i was no fan of :(

La Trappe Bockbier

Kills me its only seasonal beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Having an Alpirsbacher Klosterbräu pilsner at the moment, anyone know the scoop on these? Got it as a sample from a supplier, I don't know a huge amount of pilsners but I'm really enjoying this one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

El Pr0n wrote: »
    anyone know the scoop on these?
    What do you mean?

I reviewed most of the range here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

BeerNut wrote: »
    What do you mean?

I reviewed most of the range here.

I was wondering if there was a general opinion on them here! Beer Advocate had some very positive things to say, I'm reading your post now. Nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

Do you know if the Alpirsbacher Klosterbräu beers will be available in Dublin?

• Advertisement

Pretty sure they will be. I think DrinkStore have them so I'd say the other usual suspects will too.

Pretty sure they will be. I think DrinkStore have them so I'd say the other usual suspects will too.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

Thornbridge Brother Rabbit (cask), 4% Pale ale - A nice session ale, floral and fruity, nothing too challenging. It would make an eminently quaffable thirst-quencher in warmer weather.

Darkstar Critical Mass (cask), 7.2% - a more serious proposition, but what is it...Old ale? Porter? Dark winter ale? A quick peek at their website and I'm none the wiser. Anyhow, it's tasty. Lots of typical winter fruits and christmas cake flavours but also has a porter-like long finish of roasted malt bitterness. Bit sticky in the mouth too. One pint is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭boardsy

Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil - what a great porter! Chocolate, coffee, bitterness, sweetness... :)

boardsy wrote: »
    Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil - what a great porter! Chocolate, coffee, bitterness, sweetness... :)

She's a beauty alright.

Puts the Irish porter efforts to shame if you ask me.

O rly? Even Leann Folláin and Clotworthy Dobbin?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭boardsy

Haven't had a Clotworthy Dobbin yet (where did they get that name?!), but Leann Folláin, Dungarvan Black Rock and (Diageo alert *gasp*) Guinness Foreign Extra are all great stuff too!

boardsy wrote: »
    (where did they get that name?!)
    He was a master brewer in Belfast in the early 19th century. I've seen the brewery sometimes referred to as "Clotworthy & Dobbin" and one beer historian has suggested that that might be the original name of the firm and that -- as was customary in such partnerships -- Mr Clotworthy's daughter may have been married off to Mr Dobbin. Their son, again customarily, would be given his mother's maiden name as a first name. Hence the poor bugger ends up being called Clotworthy Dobbin and goes on to inherit the brewery his father and grandfather founded.

They'd be the stand outs to be fair.
    And I do love them, so very very much, but I was really thinking of stuff like Dark Arts, Knockmealdown, Blackrock, O'Hara's, Stormy Port, Porterhouse Plain, etc...

All decent beers in their own right and the brewers can be proud of them, but still, Old Engine Oil is different class.

• Advertisement

He was a master brewer in Belfast in the early 19th century. I've seen the brewery sometimes referred to as "Clotworthy & Dobbin" and one beer historian has suggested that that might be the original name of the firm and that -- as was customary in such partnerships -- Mr Clotworthy's daughter may have been married off to Mr Dobbin. Their son, again customarily, would be given his mother's maiden name as a first name. Hence the poor bugger ends up being called Clotworthy Dobbin and goes on to inherit the brewery his father and grandfather founded.

Clotworthy Dobbin is really good. Is it readily available in many pubs?

Seaneh wrote: »
    Old Engine Oil is different class.
    A 6% ABV class. They only decided last year that they were going to designate it as a porter
    Old%2520Engine%2520Oil.gif > Harvistoun%2B-%2BOld%2BEngine%2Bold%2Bclose.jpg > Old%20Engine%20Oil%20a.jpg
    Cheats! :p
    redalan wrote: »
    Clotworthy Dobbin is really good. Is it readily available in many pubs?
    Any of the decent craft beer pubs have it bottled.

A 6% ABV class. They only decided last year that they were going to designate it as a porter
    Old%2520Engine%2520Oil.gif > Harvistoun%2B-%2BOld%2BEngine%2Bold%2Bclose.jpg > Old%20Engine%20Oil%20a.jpg

Cheers

Yeah, it's had a few name changes are really porter or stout is about right for where it fits in the world of beers and what is comparable to.
    Makes sense for marketing reasons too, people walking into an offie and seeing Dark Beer or lack ale might not know wtf it is, but calling it a porter makes people think of the likes of Anchor or Sierra Nevada Poter and will know what to expect.

As for where to get the mighty Dobbin, it is not to be found in Galway as far as I can tell :'(

Seaneh wrote: »
    it is not to be found in Galway as far as I can tell :'(
    The Salt House would be the first place I'd check. It's distributed by C&R in Cork and I'm sure they're sending some of their stuff to The Salt House.

The Salt House would be the first place I'd check. It's distributed by C&R in Cork and I'm sure they're sending some of their stuff to The Salt House.

Well, they haven't stocked it before, ever and Tarin hadn't even heard of it the last time I asked for it but he does have about 8 new beers in the store up stairs just waiting for fridge shelve space (getting rid of a few non sellers) and I know that one of them is porterhouse celebration (the cooley aged one) and he said something about another few porters/stouts so hopefully it will be in that lot.

That said, their selection is pretty good for dark beers, off the top of my hear they have Stormy Port, Guinness, Black Rock (guest on cask) Dark Arts, Anchor Porter, Monteiths Black Beer, Leann Follain, O'Hara's, Brooklyn Dark Chocolate Stout and possibly a few more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

122854.jpg
    After the abominaton of their 100% heavy peated malt one, this one is superb. A hoppy, "Black IPA".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Dropped into the Supervalue on the quays on my way home

Picked up
    Black Diamond Wheat Wacker (a wheat IPA, looking forward to it)
    Youngs Double Chocolate Stout - Its been on the list for a while
    Hilden Brewery Titanic Quarter - Had a taste in Against the Grain but didn't get to go back for one, remember liking it though.
    Old Engine Oil - This supervalue always has this in stock, a really nice beer.

I'm abstaining as I will hopefully be enjoying a few tomorrow evening in The Black Sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

Should be tucking in to some Westvleteren 12 this time next week.

Tripel Karmeliet & Gulden Draak this evening :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Anyone know what the name of the stout in the Oslo in Salthill, Galway is called? It was on tap.

Had it last year and it was unreal.

• Advertisement

If it was the one they brew there themselves, it's Stormy Port. If it was brewed by someone else, no clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Thwaites Tavern Porter. 4.7%, very enjoyable. Creamy, chocolate, good head. Would have again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

After reading this thread and some very positive reviews on BeerAdvocate I went out and bought a bottle of Old Engine Oil, I have to say it's as delicious as everyone says.

Also had Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Fuller's London Pride and Fuller's India Pale Ale. Pretty good night :D

Copper Coast on cask. Oh yes there is a cask god.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

i had a bottle of brooklyn sorachi ace last night

photo.jpg

a champagne style saison is probably the best way to describe it! i really enjoyed it, a very light fresh beer that doesnt taste a bit of its 10%abv

sorry about the size of the pic!

some leann follain & porterhouse celebration stout (11%) :pac:

Duvel last night...too many :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Butte creek organic pale ale. Crisp and light but with a bit of sediment at the bottom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Sampling a few of Hilden Brewery's Molly's Chocolate Stout. Beautiful sweet light taste with a hint of coffee. Nice and strong too at 4.2%. Man I could knock this stuff back all night, shame the offy only had 5 bottles in stock :(

Any of you guys headin up North I recommend you pick up a few bottles of this beauty. Not sure how well stocked this is in the republic.

191494.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement