Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Today it has been an Anchor Porter and cask Bkackrock Stout day. Gad a Hooker in the middle for ****s and giggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Picked up a selection of beers from Marks and Sparks. Big mistake. Expensive, at around €3 for a 500ml bottle, and entirely unimpressive. Cheshire Chocolate porter, Staffordshire IPA, Belgian wheat beer... All awful. I'll be shopping local in future.

Only saving grace was that I was in 'The Pub' in Monkstown earlier and had a pint of Buckleys Golden Ale, which was top notch. Pity it's not more readily available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Picked up a selection of beers from Marks and Sparks. Big mistake. Expensive, at around €3 for a 500ml bottle, and entirely unimpressive. Cheshire Chocolate porter, Staffordshire IPA, Belgian wheat beer... All awful. I'll be shopping local in future.

Have to disagree with you on the Cheshire Chocolate Porter, really enjoyed it. Didn't look anything like a porter mind you but that hardly matters. Did you see the Carlow Porter there?

Have to disagree with you on the Cheshire Chocolate Porter, really enjoyed it. Didn't look anything like a porter mind you but that hardly matters. Did you see the Carlow Porter there?
    Initially, I thought it was ok, but after a few sips I found it sickly sweet, and it tasted like the chocolate flavour was an additive (flavour enhancer), rather than part of the brewing process.

Didn't see the Carlow porter. Is it an O'Haras? I've had the Winter IPA (Adnams Innovation) before (and really liked it) so thought I've give the rest of the range a try. I've a few more to try, but they just seem to be poor copies of established (cheaper) beers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Cornish IPA is another stand-out -- based on St Austell Proper Job. As is the Southwold Winter Ale -- a straight re-badge of Adnams Tally Ho. And the Carlow Irish Stout is good too (I've preferred it to O'Hara's in a blind taste). There is a fair amount of overpriced dreck in the range, though. It's worth paying attention to who the breweries are and whether their beers are any good to begin with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Couldn't get a seat to watch the rugby in the Porterhouse or O'Neills today so I begrudgingly agreed to go to Doyle's though I knew from last time that they only did bottles of Erdinger or Budvar and nothing else exciting. Pleasently surprised when I walked in and saw O'Hara's Red and IPA on tap. €3.50 a pint all day cause of the match too. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Initially, I thought it was ok, but after a few sips I found it sickly sweet, and it tasted like the chocolate flavour was an additive (flavour enhancer), rather than part of the brewing process.

Didn't see the Carlow porter. Is it an O'Haras? I've had the Winter IPA (Adnams Innovation) before (and really liked it) so thought I've give the rest of the range a try. I've a few more to try, but they just seem to be poor copies of established (cheaper) beers.

Could be that have I haven't developed my taste to the same extent so I will be a bit more critical next time I buy it, to be honest I don't bother much with M&S but I agree that it was a bit expensive. That's M&S's business model though. They have to differentiate themselves from Tesco somehow!

Carlow porter is indeed an O'Haras. Worth a try if you see it, but could well be a rebranded version of another of one of their own.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

irish_goat wrote: »
    Couldn't get a seat to watch the rugby in the Porterhouse or O'Neills today so I begrudgingly agreed to go to Doyle's though I knew from last time that they only did bottles of Erdinger or Budvar and nothing else exciting. Pleasently surprised when I walked in and saw O'Hara's Red and IPA on tap. €3.50 a pint all day cause of the match too. :D:D

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surpised by a good beer on tap in an otherwise standard selection pub, until I tasted it and it had probably been sitting for weeks or months since the last person had a pint of it.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Cornish IPA is another stand-out -- based on St Austell Proper Job. As is the Southwold Winter Ale -- a straight re-badge of Adnams Tally Ho. And the Carlow Irish Stout is good too (I've preferred it to O'Hara's in a blind taste). There is a fair amount of overpriced dreck in the range, though. It's worth paying attention to who the breweries are and whether their beers are any good to begin with.
    Perhaps I just chose poorly. The other one I had was the Belgian Wheat Beer, which is a pretty good knock-off of Hoegaarden, but didn't add anything more than you'd get in a bottle of the original. The beers I've yet to sample are: Southwald Dark Ale (another Adnams beer), Cornish IPA (glad to hear it's good), and the Cherry Wheat beer, so perhaps I'm saving the best until last.

BTW: Delighted to see that Hollands of Bray will shorty have Brewdog Punk IPA on tap. Super news. I understand (from Twitter) that it'll also be coming to a few more pubs soon.

• Advertisement

I rarely say this about any beer, but I wouldn't touch that one with a very long barge pole. I don't trust the brewery (I suspect this is a very close cousin to the awful Floris Kriek), it's got very little alcohol in it and is outrageously expensive, even by M&S standards.

Farringtons and The Black Sheep already have draught Punk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Dipped in to my Belgian stash over the weekend. Had some beers that had been there for about 2 years.

Westvleteren Blonde, Orval, Westvleteren 8 and Rochefort 8.

Orval is one of those beers that changes so much with ageing, its taste changes constantly! Very interesting beer. I really wana try both aged and young Orval side by side!

I think I preferred the Rochefort to the Westvleteren also, but its very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

slayerking wrote: »
    Dipped in to my Belgian stash over the weekend. Had some beers that had been there for about 2 years.

Westvleteren Blonde, Orval, Westvleteren 8 and Rochefort 8.

Orval is one of those beers that changes so much with ageing, its taste changes constantly! Very interesting beer. I really wana try both aged and young Orval side by side!

I think I preferred the Rochefort to the Westvleteren also, but its very close.

Quality beers, every one of them!:)

I especially like Rochefort 8 myself. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

On the subject of Belgian beers, I'm currently drinking a st. Bernardus triple. It's lovely. I should start ageing more beer. I only have a few at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

KJ wrote: »
    On the subject of Belgian beers, I'm currently drinking a st. Bernardus triple. It's lovely. I should start ageing more beer. I only have a few at the minute.

I wound not really age a triple too much, unless the are some bugs in it like Orval

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Rumble oak aged ipa from the great divide brewery.

The last great divide I had was the mediocre yeti stout that made me think the whole range was overpriced.

This one is fantastic.

Balanced IPA with lots of hops but also fairly malty and heavy. Great aftertaste, presumably due to oak ageing.

Only flaw is, as with many such aged beers, can fill you up towards the end and it would be very hard to have a second one after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A wee trip saw me pick up some Youngs London Ale. Deceptively light, fresh and fruity, this one could do some damage given the chance.

One of the nights last week, I had Marston's Oyster Stout. Where was it all my life?:)

it would be very hard to have a second one after.
    I don't think that sort of beer is really meant for session drinking. I doubt the brewer would see this as a flaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I bit the bullet and ordered a bottle of the Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada collab. Life and Limb. 750ml at 10% for €16 :eek: It would want to be amazing.
    Im going to store it as Ive heard that it was brewed with that in mind. Some bottles seem to be capped and some corked. If I get a corked one will I store it on its side to stop it drying out?

Picked up the M&S Wiltshire Rum Beer from the Wadworth Brewery just out of curiousity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Picked up 750ml 2010 Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer in Redmonds & a Tripel Karmeliet 4 pack with glassware...delish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Blue Moon, Innis & Gun Whiskey Cask Beer - amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 roro_utd

stuchyg wrote: »
    Blue Moon, Innis & Gun Whiskey Cask Beer - amazing

Had that last week, it's so good, pretty high percentage aswell

Sierra Nevada (think there's a few varieties) is delicious, well whichever one I got in o'briens was anyway

roro_utd wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada (think there's a few varieties) is delicious, well whichever one I got in o'briens was anyway

What colour was the label?

Did it look like this?

sierra-nevada-pale-ale.jpg

Seaneh wrote: »

Did it look like this?

Fire at will:

2010_Beer_Torpedo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

odellipa.jpg

If you like the Sierra Torpedo then try the Odell IPA, it's 7%, tastes amazing and is superior to the Torpedo in almost every way.

Sierra Pale Ale is still the best I've had.

Dermighty wrote: »
    odellipa.jpg

If you like the Sierra Torpedo then try the Odell IPA, it's 7%, tastes amazing and is superior to the Torpedo in almost every way.

If you like Sierra Nevada Pale Sle, try O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale, you'd be head pressed tell them apart in a blind test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If you like Sierra Nevada Pale Sle, try O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale, you'd be head pressed tell them apart in a blind test.

I disagree, I'd be able to tell them apart from the bottle. However, I only recently had a SNPA draught version and it was totally different from the bottle version (quite similar to O'Hara's so maybe that's what you're comparing?)
    The bottle version is slightly unfiltered so on appearance alone it's quite different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Trying the Bierhalle's guest beer, Hirschbraü Sonthofen Weihnachts-Bier.

It's pretty bloody good. A little dark, crisp and tasty. orth a fiver for the 500ml bottle.

Did it look like this?

sierra-nevada-pale-ale.jpg

Yeah, that's the one. I thought it was really nice, you ever had it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Porterhouse Celebration Stout. Very nice, coffee, chocolate and smooooooth. 7% and dangerously drinkable.

Great to see more quality stout on the market.

• Advertisement

Had a Williams Brothers Midnight Sun Porter today, was very nice!

Also had an Williams Brithers 80/- Scotish Ale. Was nice but very very sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Did it look like this?

Fire at will:

2010_Beer_Torpedo.jpg

had a few bottles of this in the pub over the weekend, very nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

6 x sierra nevada celebration 2011 :)

some porterhouse celebration for tomorrow

imo the o'dells ipa is superior to the sierra nevada torpedo / pale ale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

6 x sierra nevada celebration 2011 :)

some porterhouse celebration for tomorrow

imo the o'dells ipa is superior to the sierra nevada torpedo / pale ale

personally I'm not a fan of the sierra Nevada pale ale, and brewdog hardcore is far superior to the torpedo but considering the normal trash you can get in a nightclub the torpedo went down nicley

The five barrel is very nice, but I wouldn't say the odells Ipa is superior to torpedo. I would be reluctant to assert one beer is better than another, but I personally find many of the odells range to be over rated and dear. They aren't bad, but aren't particularly memorable for me either. The rumple pale ale is, IMO, something of an exception

roro_utd wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the one. I thought it was really nice, you ever had it?

Yeah, I'd say most of the lads on here have had it to be honest, it's pretty much a standard barer for micro brewed beers, and you are right, it's a lovely beer!

Very good choice dude, you should keep looking around, you have a good pallet!

Try O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale, it's a very similar beer brewed in Carlow and one of the best beers brewed on this Island in my opinion.

I personally find many of the odells range to be over rated and dear. They aren't bad, but aren't particularly memorable for me either.
    I'd definitely agree with that. I think the IPA and Myrcenary are superb, and 5-Barrel is good, but the others are lacking, especially the darker ones.
    The rumple pale ale is, IMO, something of an exception
    The which?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

I think he means rumble ipa from great divide

odellipa.jpg

No-one's commented on how lovely my yarrow and fennel plants are in the background of that photo :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Top-notch yarrow and fennel plants there BeerNut! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Rossini beer from Aldi...very nice. A bit like Peroni but a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Abstrakt 08
    Deconstructed blonde imperial stout ???

Nice, full of flavour and alcohol. Interesting beer but it does seem to make Nogne O look cheap and very good value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Had Anderson Valley Hop Ottin IPA, really enjoyed it, good hops flavours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Double Diamond, excellent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Thwaites_VERY_NUTTY_BLACK_BOTTLE.jpg

Does the trick. Very nice in a sausage casserole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Had a couple of Galway Hooker's in ATG for the first time in a while, is so much nicer from the tap imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Picked up a 4 for €10 deal today, Galway Hooker, and the other 3 are all from Dungarvan Brewing Co. They even gave me a pint glass :D
    Can't wait to try them, I've been meaning to taste them for a while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Picked up a 4 for €10 deal today, Galway Hooker, and the other 3 are all from Dungarvan Brewing Co. They even gave me a pint glass :D
    Can't wait to try them, I've been meaning to taste them for a while now
    That sounds great, where did you get this deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Just got a similar deal,2 grozet and 2 Fraoch for €10.

The Drink Shop(I think it's called),in Stoneybatter. Great selection of drink,good prices,and a short stumble from L Muligan Grocers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

That sounds great, where did you get this deal?
    Just an off-licence in Carrigaline. Bradley's in Cork are doing the same deal I think (couldn't go there though, cos all I had on me was my college ID)
    edit; ****, just see your location is Dublin, so that was no use to you

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement