Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Svyturys Ekstra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Had a Pint of Paulaner and a 500ml Glass of Erdinger Weiss beers on tap yesterday in Kelly's pub (Old Living Room) in Galway. Very enjoyable, I prefered the Paulaner and a friend prefered the Erdinger.

I am living near the German border, and I get bottles of Paulaner (Heffe-Weiss) for 70c per bottle. They also have it in cans, and those 5 litre mini-kegs for 10 euro. I like it better than Erdinger.

In France (also nearby) I get bottles of Chimay (rouge is my choice) for 1.52 EUR a bottle.

I tried Erdinger Champ recently. It was OK, just a fairly light lager, good for hot days.

I will have to come back & list great selection I have near me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Svyturys Ekstra

Thats a nice beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

bw wrote: »
    I am living near the German border, and I get bottles of Paulaner (Heffe-Weiss) for 70c per bottle. They also have it in cans, and those 5 litre mini-kegs for 10 euro. I like it better than Erdinger.

In France (also nearby) I get bottles of Chimay (rouge is my choice) for 1.52 EUR a bottle.

Excellent price on the Regular botttled Paulaner, lucky you ... only cost me €5.50 a pint in Kellys :rolleyes: ... still I did not mind as it was a nice change from the normal. Like Chimay too and will be in Holland in a few weeks so should be able to avail of similar prices :cool:
    bw wrote: »
    I tried Erdinger Champ recently. It was OK, just a fairly light lager, good for hot days.

I will have to come back & list great selection I have near me.

I'd be a bit wary of a beer that is termed a life style beer ... :rolleyes: Then again I suppose my days of leaning against a bar trying to look cool are well over :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I got the tail end of the Summerfest in Cork's Bierhaus last night, tried a few new ones. Headless Dog was a very nice amber ale, Oyster Stout is pretty good, quite similar to Shandon Stout. And finally I got a bottle of this smoked beer, which was quite incredible.

I have a couple bottles of Ola Dubh in the fridge for tomorrow, but for now it's a glass of Knob Creek bourbon. Nyom.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    Headless Dog was a very nice amber ale,

Tried that at the easter beer fest at the well. Good beer indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

ZYWIEC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 barabara

last night had a bottle of my favoyrite Svyturys wheat Baltas, feels like everytime it's getting better :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Had a bottle of utenos last night,did'nt like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sarky wrote: »
    I have a couple bottles of Ola Dubh in the fridge for tomorrow, m.

Take it out an hour before you want to drink it.
    It should be cool, not cold.
    Nice, if expensive, beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I don't think it is that expensive for what it is. It's about €5 and some change usually but that little bottle is a sipper and will last about an hour and sometimes more.

Lovely stuff.

Saruman wrote: »
    I don't think it is that expensive for what it is. It's about €5 and some change usually but that little bottle is a sipper and will last about an hour and sometimes more.

Lovely stuff.

But compared to Old Engine Oil, it is hard to justify the price.
    Having said that, I think the 16YO is worth the extra few bob over the 12YO

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Tonight I'm having a bottle of Punk IPA(£1.32-330ml) and maybe a Belfast Ale(£1.72-500ml) before headin out. Had the Belfast Ale on draught when I was up in Belfast the other day and it was quite nice.
    punk+ipa+2.JPG31973.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Was drinking Bitter and Twisted on tap in Scotland last weekend.

Couldn't believe the temp. of the beer. I usually drink it cold or leave it out of the fridge for about 1/2 hour then drink it.

It seem like it was almost room temp. , still drank it all the same as found it very refreshing.

Also tried McEwams 70 and 80 over there which is a bitter. I found the 70 better but then again I was on a stag party and was well oiled at that stage !:p

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

Goin to Porterhouse and just gonna try a whole rake load of stuff ... dont think about the next day

Svyturys Ekstra tonight.

Innis & Gunn for me tonight, it's a bit more affordable these days so I bought two :D

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Was drinking Bitter and Twisted on tap in Scotland last weekend.

Couldn't believe the temp. of the beer. I usually drink it cold or leave it out of the fridge for about 1/2 hour then drink it.

It seem like it was almost room temp. , still drank it all the same as found it very refreshing.

As it should be to be honest. Ales taste best at room temp but there is nothing wrong with drinking them cold, you just lose out on flavour/subtlety.

As it should be to be honest. Ales taste best at room temp but there is nothing wrong with drinking them cold, you just lose out on flavour/subtlety.

Nooooooo.:eek::eek::eek:

Ale should be drunk at cellar temperature, not room temp.
    In the UK they often have a 'cool' shelf for bottled ale so that it is somewhere between fridge and room temp.

Here's what RateBeer have to say on the matter
    The other myth is that English beer is served at room temperature, or “warm”. It’s not. It is served at cellar temperature, which is between 12-14C. Room temperature is 21C. That’s a big difference.

or
    Cask Marque, a non-profit UK beer organisation, has set a temperature standard range of 12°-14°C (53°-57°F) for cask ales to be served.

Ale should be drunk at cellar temperature, not room temp.

Ah, I actually thought you meant that sort of temperature. Sorry I mistook your comment to mean you expected it to be super chilled and instead found it warm, which a cellar temp ale would be to a super chilled lager drinker.

You are completely right in what you say about the serving temp for ale. Though for something stronger I like it at actual room temp. Ola Dubh for instance.

Had I noticed your blog earlier, I would have known you knew better :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Oh I knew it should be room-ish temp. It was also a very warm weekend last and I think it felt warmer then it should have had.

Anyway rest of lads with me nearly died when they tasted it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Drinking an out of date can of Beamish from the now defunct Beamish factory in Cork. Bit of an antique it is. I forgot how tasty it is. Better than cans of Guinness.

I also have a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot ale/barley wine. I might leave that for the next big match in the world cup. It's over 9% so I won't be tearing the arse out of it.

Yesterday I had a bottle of Adnams Innovation. Funny little drink. Didn't seem to be as strong as it's 6.7%. Tasted almost on the verge of Irn Bru. I still enjoyed its subtlety even if it did retain a touch of a chemical taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Drinking an out of date can of Beamish from the now defunct Beamish factory in Cork. Bit of an antique it is. I forgot how tasty it is. Better than cans of Guinness.

I also have a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot ale/barley wine. I might leave that for the next big match in the world cup. It's over 9% so I won't be tearing the arse out of it.

Yesterday I had a bottle of Adnams Innovation. Funny little drink. Didn't seem to be as strong as it's 6.7%. Tasted almost on the verge of Irn Bru. I still enjoyed its subtlety even if it did retain a touch of a chemical taste.

Ah Beamish ! A grand drop so it is.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Had me a Floreffe - Double while watching the Germany game last night.

Quite nice too. Refreshing floral taste which was odd for a double.
    http://www.abbaye-de-floreffe.be/produits.php?lang=uk

enda1 wrote: »
    Had me a Floreffe - Double while watching the Germany game last night.

Quite nice too. Refreshing floral taste which was odd for a double.
    http://www.abbaye-de-floreffe.be/produits.php?lang=uk

Good beer, them!
    Quite strongly spice - especially the Prima Mellor
    I like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Good beer, them!
    Quite strongly spice - especially the Prima Mellor
    I like!

That's their best one, swear there is star anise in it

oblivious wrote: »
    That's their best one, swear there is star anise in it

I'm thinking fennel seed, myself.
    Or maybe both!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

My drink these days is Celebration Stout from the Porterhouse. A very nice Imperial stout but not so strong as to leave you flattened after just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

got a btl of GOLDINGS,a summer hop ale from Lidl
    it would not be my normal type of drink
    i found it tasty.i reckon 3 or 4 on a summers evening would be very nice.

@ the ale drinkers here =how would you rate this.
    any other ale i should look out for.

just checked out the LIDL beer thread
    looks like people dont rate this ale.

• Advertisement

My drink these days is Celebration Stout from the Porterhouse. A very nice Imperial stout but not so strong as to leave you flattened after just one.

I take it you mean the current generation in 330ml bottles as the old one (very limited) in 750ml bottles was 10% :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement