Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

My better half just became "Probably the best better half in the world ever" Please excuse the cheap beer analogy :D

I have been treated to an amazing selection of beers :cool:. Most have come from the Drinkstore.ie as well as some Harvest Offlicence (Galway), Tesco and even Aldi.

Just to make some of ye Jealous this is what I recieved in my World Cup hamper ... this is beer to drink for the world cup as opposed to beers representing the countries of the world cup.

Read em and weep ... :p

My Beer Selection.

Australia: Coopers Pale Ale 4.5%
    Austria: Edelweiss 5%
    Belgium: Barbar 8%, Hoegaarden 4.9%, Kwak 8%, Gouden Carolus Triple 9%
    Belgium Abbey: Afflingem Blond, Leffe Blonde 6.6%, St Bernardus ABT 10.5%, St Martin Brune 8%
    Belguim Trappist: Achel Blonde 8%, Rochefort (6) 7.5%
    Cuba: Cubanero Fuerte 5.4%
    Estonia: Viru 5%
    Germany: Maisel Weisse 5.2%, Paulaner Hefe-Weis 5.5%, Schnider Kristal 5.3%
    Ireland: Aldi Irish Red Ale 4.3%, Dungarven Copper Coast Red 4.3%, Porter House Celebration Stout 7%
    Japan: Kirin 5%
    Russia: Baltika Strong (9) 8%
    Turkey: Efes Pils 5%
    UK: William Bros Ceilidh Larger 4.7%, William Bros Eighty Shilling Ale 4.2%, William Bros Gold 3.9%, William Bros IPA 5%, Youngs Special London Ale 6.8%
    USA: River Horse Hop Hazzard 6.5%, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale 9.6%, Sierra Nevada Glissade 6.4%, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale 5.6%, Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA 7.2%

And 2 Duvel Glasses to enjoy some of them in.

Over 50 bottles including repeats ... should keep me going for a few days :cool:

Anybody any suggestion where to start ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Nice selection there :D

I would say I am jealous but I am heading to San Francisco on Saturday for almost 3 weeks, I am sure you know this is one of the best beer cities in the world. If I am up for the drive, Portland Oregon is about 8 or 9 hours away and that is the biggest beer city on the planet.

Also off to B&C later for the ICB brewers meet up so plenty of beer to be had for me before I jet off.

Enjoy the beer and see if you can add the Dungarvan Helvick Gold to the list for Ireland, even if we are not in the world cup.

Oh and drink the Aldi (Carlow) red and the Copper Coast one after the other and compare. Two red Ales :D

I was very impressed with her in doors all right ... she got all these off the bat with out any coaching from me but she did know I liked Weiss and belgian beers.

Yes I plan to try and taste a few against each other as you suggested.

However I don't think I'll be trying too many of the higher ABV beers against each other at once or I might end up on me ear ;)

Been to San Fran a few times and it is a great city. Don't forget to visit Kennedys bar slight up from the warf/pier area ... it has an authentic Irish Curry house attached :p:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Anybody any suggestion where to start ...

Great selection you have there!

From my experience, leave the hoppy beers like the american IPA's until last before you go to bed. You could save the Bigfoot until the next World Cup if you had some discipline. I couldn't do it :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

DBCyc wrote: »
    You could save the Bigfoot until the next World Cup if you had some discipline.
    Yeah, if it's a 2010 Bigfoot I'd recommend leaving it until next year at least. It can be quite harsh when it's young but mellows beautifully with time.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yeah, if it's a 2010 Bigfoot I'd recommend leaving it until next year at least. It can be quite harsh when it's young but mellows beautifully with time.

Yes it's the 2010

SO basically ye are saying this will mature in the bottle for a while yet.

I actually am very surprised by this as I've never heard of leaving a comercial beer to mature ... but as beer is not my area of expertise I will have to thank ye for the advise as I would have never of known.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was drinking tiger beer tonight but saw Krombacher on special offer 6 bottles for 7.99 is this nice beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Coors Light simply because it was 8 cans for a tenner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

]
    Aldi Irish Red Ale 4.3%, Baltika Strong (9) 8%

These two popped out at me. I've got a bottle of Baltika Strong at home, haven't got around to it yet. I'm also on the search for the best Irish Red beer, at the moment it's a tie between Rebel Red and O'Hara's Red, I've never heard of Aldi's Red though.

Have you tried these before?

BenShermin wrote: »
    These two popped out at me. I've got a bottle of Baltika Strong at home, haven't got around to it yet. I'm also on the search for the best Irish Red beer, at the moment it's a tie between Rebel Red and O'Hara's Red, I've never heard of Aldi's Red though.

Have you tried these before?

Have had the the O'Hara's and the Aldi Red before. For me the Aldi red shades it, maybe it's the price I dont know but I like it for a change. There's a bit of a meaty taste to it. I had a pint of Smithwicks lately and thought it was very bland. I'm looking forward to comparing the Aldi Red and the Dungarvan one.

Seemingly the Aldi red is made by the Calow Brewing company the same crew that make O'Haras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Aldi red is very good. Well impressed with it. Must go get more!

I've never heard of leaving a comercial beer to mature
    There are a few now, though twenty years ago it would have been almost unheard of. Chimay Bleu, for instance, always prints the year of production on the label. You see some of the 1980's vintages in Belgian shops going for big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Duvel is regularly keep for 2 months or so by beligan bars

Did not do too much damage last night as I had a big meal and knew I would not appreciate some of the more interesting beers that I have not tried before.

So had the Efes ... not my bad really but fine with DInner ;)

Then had the Kirin which again I've had before and again fine with Dinner.

Had a Leffe then which I do like and I enjoyed that as an after dinner beer.

Lastly was the Coopers Pale Ale and know some here think it is a fine beer but I found it quite bland. Could see this as a good thirst quencher if quite chilled though.

Anyway hope to hit a few of the stronger more interesting beers tonight :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Saruman wrote: »
    I take it you mean the current generation in 330ml bottles as the old one (very limited) in 750ml bottles was 10% :cool:

Of course I meant the current generation, wish I had kept a bottle of the original now to compare and contrast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Lastly was the Coopers Pale Ale and know some here think it is a fine beer but I found it quite bland. Could see this as a good thirst quencher if quite chilled though.
    +1, I had a bottle in the Wool Shed a few moons ago, the barman opened it then put the bottle on its side and rolled it up and down the bar before serving it, don't know what the feck that was all about to be honest:o.

Sipping a St Martin Brune at the moment.

I like this ... However it is sweet so not something I would drink a lot of.

Plenty of flavours going on here. It's like mixture of an extra stout and overly sweet coffee, a touch of fresh soft liquroice with a litttle squirt of lemon ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just finished off a bottle of Badger "Fursty Ferret" the MIL brought back from England - very nice, good flavour, I find English ales a bit hit and miss (not a huge ale fan) but I could definitely drink a few of these. Unfortunately only the one bottle - back to the Perlenbacher now...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Drinking Theakston's Old Peculiar right now. It's one I like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Had a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot ale yesterday. Beautiful it was. The 9.6% volume was well hidden and it was full bodied with a nice bitter after taste. I'll be hitting one of those bottles again.

Today I'll be drinking the Torpedo IPA. I thought it was beautiful a few weeks ago but after having the Bigfoot maybe it won't seem as nice.

• Advertisement

Had a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot ale yesterday. Beautiful it was. The 9.6% volume was well hidden and it was full bodied with a nice bitter after taste. I'll be hitting one of those bottles again.

Today I'll be drinking the Torpedo IPA. I thought it was beautiful a few weeks ago but after having the Bigfoot maybe it won't seem as nice.

Good to know about the big foot, I have one in reserve :cool: ... had the torpedo last night and was very impressed with the flavour. I also had a Kwak which was excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oh, I find Kwack insanely sugary!
    Better on draught, though!

Oh, I find Kwack insanely sugary!
    Better on draught, though!

Yes it was sweet but I don't mind that as there was plenty other flavours going on in there too, for me it's a nice rich beer. I'd never drink more than one of these as it would become too much but they are really nice to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I'm heading to Charleville Castle this weekend with quite a few people from the photography forum. I got delivery of the below today and I've never tried any of them. Any advice in what order I should drink them?

9IXkiP

Nothing particularly hoppy there, so order of strength should be fine. You'll be wanting to get the Quilmes and Moosehead out of the way early :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    Nothing particularly hoppy there, so order of strength should be fine. You'll be wanting to get the Quilmes and Moosehead out of the way early :)

An save bigfoot till last or age it for a year!:p

Meant to post a picture of my lot ...

Beers.jpg

Anyway on the Dungarven Copper Coast Red Ale at the mo...

Quite sweet for an ale which surprised me not what I was expecting.
    However in saying that this would be nice on a winters evening by the fire.
    I also have the Aldi Red open which is much drier and more on the bitter side like a stout.
    I'm really enjoying my trip through these beers. Only have 40 odd bottles still to go :P

DarrenG wrote: »
    I'm heading to Charleville Castle this weekend with quite a few people from the photography forum. I got delivery of the below today and I've never tried any of them. Any advice in what order I should drink them?

The kellerweisse is very good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I hadn't had Delerium Tremens in a very long time, so I got myself a bottle this evening. I'd forgotten how fruity and light it tasted. I shall have to get a couple more bottles this week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Was drinking Buckley's IPA or Golden Ale (can't remember now ! :o) on Sunday in The Bull and Castle.

I liked it and was going down very well sitting outside in the sun.

Sitting outside The Bull and Castle is just a target for every homeless/begger going by which can get annoying after a while.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement