Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Augusteiner helles at 2.07e delivered!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

Fullers Chiswick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Gina_

Saruman wrote: »
    Nice selection there :D

I would say I am jealous but I am heading to San Francisco on Saturday for almost 3 weeks, I am sure you know this is one of the best beer cities in the world. If I am up for the drive, Portland Oregon is about 8 or 9 hours away and that is the biggest beer city on the planet.

I don't know if you will be checking the board while you're on vacation, but by all means, you must hit Portland, Oregon to taste beer. Or any one of another locations on the way:

http://oregonbeer.org/breweries/
    http://oregonbeer.org/guild-members/

Some of my favorites are McMenamin's, Cascade, Rogue and Bridgeport.

Rogue Dead Guy Ale is a classic. Bridgeport IPA is wonderful.

If I have to live with some of the cruddiest weather in the world, at least the beer is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Last night had a few different beers again. Heineken Bruin and Hertog Jan Grand Prestige were 2 of them and very similar. Both were equally disappointing too fizzy and sweet ... I thought the her tog was a rum and coke in a bottle first :p then a Leffe Brune Double which was much much better. La Trappe triple then followed that so back to some decent beer at that stage I was tasted out and had a cool bottle Bavaria to finish off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Just picked up a bottle of Delirium Nocturnum, I'm a huge fan of the Tremens so it will be interesting to see how this works out.

Finally bought a bottle of Guinness Special Export, I'm looking forward to comparing it with Foreign Export.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Tonights list has been bought :

Sharps Doom Bar
    Broughton Exciseman's 80/-
    Sharps Atlantic IPA
    Old Empire IPA
    Chalky's Bite
    Siwo

Will report back later on the what I liked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sol beer tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

ciaran76 wrote: »

Sharps Doom Bar
    Broughton Exciseman's 80/-
    Sharps Atlantic IPA
    Old Empire IPA
    Chalky's Bite
    Siwo

Will report back later on the what I liked.

I quite liked the Atlantic IPA when I had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Bitter and twisted ale.

Try the Galway Hooker any chance ye get

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Tiger beer tonight.I love the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Anyone know where you can buy Deuchars IPA out south side direction? would love to try it

Andy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not sure if it's still around these days, but try Redmond's of Ranelagh or Deveney's Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,567 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Was in Yamamori the Japanese restaraunt on Wednesday and tried:

Hitachino Nest White Ale: Really liked this, I spent a while trying to figure out what it tasted like and then I relaised there is a bit of a similarity between it and Blue Moon, although thought it was much nicer than the Blue Moon.

Hitachino Nest Japan Classic Ale: This stuff was good, think it was about 7.6% or so and as soon as I poured it into the glass I knew I was onto a winner, really really thick and a lovely browney/orange colour, I think I'd struggle to drink more than two or three of them at a time though as they are very rich.

Hitachino Nest Weiss: This was nice enough if nothing spectacular, probably me least favourite of the three.

Kirin Ichaban: The waiter reccommended I try this one as I'd tried most of the beers on the menu at that stage and I duly obliged. Decent enough lager and I'd drink it again.

They also had a Korean Lager called 'Max' but they only sold it in 1.6lr pitchers and I'd already had a few beers and some sake so there was no way I'd finish off a pitcher by myself at that stage so I might try it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

was in the mill off license in Maynooth toady.
    got myself 4 different btls for a tenner.

FULLERS honey dew.
    HOBGOBLIN.
    BATEMANS combined harvest
    MARSTONS pedigree pale ale.

was my 1st time in the shop,was impressed with there selection of btl beers.

Sharps Doom Bar : Very light drink easy to drink and mild noting special really.

Broughton Exciseman's 80/- : Really liked this one. Almost a coffee or dark chocolate taste of it I thought. Will get this again soon.

Sharps Atlantic IPA : It was ok not as strong as other IPA's I have had and I thought it was similar to the Sharps Doom Bar I had earlier.

Old Empire IPA : Quite bitter and a dry taste in my opinion. Ok but not the best.

Chalky's Bite : Nice hoppy taste and spicy. Liked it alot. Will defo buy again.

Siwo : Not great at all. Thank God I left it to last to taste as it was watery and just like Bud or Rolling rock or something along those lines.

Tonight I have another new beer to taste called Tusker lager. Looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor

In The Abbot's last night.
    I've had this in large bottles before but never in 33cl.
    Fantastic beer.
    I do like a Belgian Pale Ale (a trend I reckon started by Popperings Hommelbier and now taken up by Gouden Carolus and La Chouffe).
    Anyone know of others?

Hopus is another you see around here now and again. Not as good as any of the ones you mention, though.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Hopus is another you see around here now and again. Not as good as any of the ones you mention, though.

I found all their range pretty dull (nice labels, though).

all their range
    There's more than one?
    hopus.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Bavaria

(if it counts as a beer)

I feel ashamed :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

hat Gouden Carolus Hopsijnoor has an unbelievable thick head, like nothing I've ever seen from a bottle, honestly meringue like.

BeerNut wrote: »
    There's more than one?
    hopus.jpg

Ah, sorry, I was thinking of the Belgoo range

Hoppus is pretty good alright.

Tonight I have another new beer to taste called Tusker lager. Looking forward to that.

Tusker wasn't great in my opinion. Very watery and almost no taste. Might be a good drink in a warm climate but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Picked up a BrewDog Paradox Imperial Stout a couple of days ago. It was wonderful :)

I also acquired a bottle of their Tokyo Stout which I may try this weekend. Looking forward to it, should be interesting.

DBCyc wrote: »
    I also acquired a bottle of their Tokyo Stout which I may try this weekend. Looking forward to it, should be interesting.
    It's cracking. Not very stouty, but superb.

My review.

Excellent - I'm sure that I will sleep well after it anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Sierra Nevada Pale ale ... very tasty indeed. Fruity nose and there is a lovely grapefruit after taste.

Now

Sierra Nevada Glissade Golden Bock very nice also but I think I prefer the pale ale.

Sierra Nevada Pale ale ... very tasty indeed. Fruity nose and there is a lovely grapefruit after taste.

Now

Sierra Nevada Glissade Golden Bock very nice also but I think I prefer the pale ale.

Their Torpedo Ale is fantastic!!

Woo hoo!!
    Got me one of these

Never tried it before.
    €10.50 for a very small bottle for a .25l bottle:eek:
    Still, alot cheaper than Utopias

• Advertisement

Woo hoo!!
    Got me one of these

Never tried it before.
    €10.50 for a very small bottle for a .25l bottle:eek:
    Still, alot cheaper than Utopias

It's excellent. The bottle should go a long way as you only need a small drop of it in a snifter. Treat it like a small glass of port I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement