Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Aquila wrote: »
    O Shea's Irish Stout, surprised it was rather good and not mank
    Someone mentioned ladt week that it's just a straight rebrand of O'Haras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

matrim wrote: »
    Aquila wrote: »
    O Shea's Irish Stout, surprised it was rather good and not mank
    Someone mentioned ladt week that it's just a straight rebrand of O'Haras
    It's not a straight rebrand, just made by O'Haras, and as such, it's very similar to their stout.

The O'Shea's Traditional Ale is a straight rebrand of their previous Aldi Traditional Irish Ale.

Had a pint of Opus II in Neachtains (sp?) in Galway yesterday. Very nice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Confab wrote: »
    Kinnegar Limeburner - Northern Pale Ale.

Awful stuff. Tastes like a first attempt at homebrewing. No body, barely any aroma, zero flavour. On my first taste I got worried - I thought my taste buds had shut down. But no, this stuff is blander than Budweiser. Never touching this again. Ugh. Last week I described Sierra Nevada IPA as dishwater, but I was wrong. Kinnegar NPA defines insipid. Shared it with a friend and he thought exactly the same.

Could it be that you just don't like pale ale? I've had the Limeburner and thought it was nice albeit, with a slight lack of body and a twang I'd associate with some home brews. Sierra Nevada though is a fantastic pale ale and one of the best out there for that strength and price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

irish_goat wrote: »
    Could it be that you just don't like pale ale? I've had the Limeburner and thought it was nice albeit, with a slight lack of body and a twang I'd associate with some home brews. Sierra Nevada though is a fantastic pale ale and one of the best out there for that strength and price.

It's a fair point. I'm a big fan of Double IPAs though, they just have what I like. If I was to describe my perfect beer, it would be dark (not stout), have an ABV above 7.5% and an overall bias towards malt rather than hops. Something akin to barley wine, but with more toffee/caramel notes. In fact that's a good target for my next brew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Got a couple of Arcobrau Dunkel from Tesco, a fairly light coloured Dunkel, but really nice.

I think Dunkel is my favourite style of beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Kozel Medium 11° Svetly Lezak well its a typical Czech beer hoppy and slightly sweet. The darker cousin is nicer but its not a bad beer all the same.

Got another Kozel in the fridge but its a lighter beer which I will have some other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

I had a Brewdog Paradox Jura earlier this week.

Very tasty, an imperial stout so similar to the Nogne O I had a couple of weeks ago. Had a unexpected sweetness to it and the whiskey made it port like at times, with a heavy almost syrupy hint to the body, but some nice chocolate and fruit flavours in there too.

I've a bottle of Paradox Jura stashed away, but I was also lucky enough to have it on draft a few months ago. Personally I'd rate it as very different to and a cut above the imperial from Nogne O, in the sense that it's a lot more complex and has more flavours going on. My overriding memory of it was port-like, with a distinctive taste of cherries which was reminiscent of blackforest gateau. It's an immense beer.

Still on the imperial stout theme, last week I tried De Molen's Rasputin. Beautiful. I like rich stouts, and this was one of the richest I've ever tasted - so creamy and smooth, with a lovely chocolate malty nose to it. I also tried their Vuur & Vlaam IPA which was a little underwhelming. Not bad, just not as much hop character as I was expecting.

And bought for drinking at a later date - Great Divide Belgian Yeti, Odells Myrcenary, Porterhouse Celebration and Guinness Special Export.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Southern Tier 2XIPA

Thin, bitter bordering on unpleasant.
    Very disappointing double IPA.
    I guess not all US double IPAs are good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I tried a few over the weekend.

I tried both the Straffe Hendrik 9° (tripel) and the 11° (quad).
    Two very nice ales that I got in Molloys.

I tried a Dogma too and it was rank. I'd say it was possibly the worst beer I have ever tasted and even smelled.
    I also had a quite fruity/citrusy American IPA; Odell IPA A 7%. Very very nice.
    Knockmealdown Porter was as nice as always. Shockingly easy to drink too :cool:.

I really want to try Dogfish head but can't find it anywhere in Dublin.
    What is Goose Island like? I saw it for sale too, but didn't get one.

Trying a Wychwood Scarecrow. Very bland and boring. I wouldn't bother again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Fart wrote: »

I really want to try Dogfish head but can't find it anywhere in Dublin.
    What is Goose Island like? I saw it for sale too, but didn't get one.

Alas, Dogfish head hasn't been imported into ireland in a few years.

Anything that's left now would be old stock and if it's an IPA I'd avoid it like the plague. Something like Dogfish Head 60 or 90 minute would be best drank within 6 months, 9 months at a push, from brewing, after that it's not worth buying imho and 2 years old it would be terrible.

Goose Island IPA is lovely, if you liked the Odell's you will probably like it too.

I prefer the Odell myself, it's one of my favourite beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lighter

http://www.1516brewingcompany.com/cms/beers/

SAVINJSKI IMPERIAL IPA and TONI`S HARVEST 12 FESH HOP ALE

A few new beers last night:

Mikkeller Coffee IPA. 6.9% ABV
    No strong coffee taste or aroma. Nice dry IPA with a hint of coffee (if you know it's there) but a slightly short finish.

Odell's/Thornbridge Pond Hopper Double Extra Pale Ale. 8.9% ABV
    Pretty much what you'd expect from two top class breweries - a really well balanced pale ale that hides its strength well.

Gregorius Trappistenbier. 9.7% ABV
    A new Austrian Trappist beer (doesn't have the official stamp yet - in the process, apparently). It doesn't indicate a style on the bottle but if I had to compare it to another Trappist beer, I'd probably say Rochefort 8. It is quite medicinal on the nose. I thought it tasted a bit young and could do with a few months in the bottle.

beer revolution, where do you source your beer? Bricks & mortar or perhaps drinkstore?

I'm quite limited with what's in Molloys and other off licenses around me. I'm definitely considering a big spend at drinkstore to get a few beers I've never tasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Awful, isn't it?

Heroditas wrote: »

Awful, isn't it?

Worst part is it was part of Tesco 5 for 10. I got 2 London Porter which were lovely and 3 of the scarecrow, mainly because I liked the bottles and an collecting them for my homebrew.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I liked the bottles and an collecting them for my homebrew.
    Just check that your capper can handle them. Wychwood bottle necks are an odd shape and notoriously awkward to cap.

Worst part is it was part of Tesco 5 for 10. I got 2 London Porter which were lovely and 3 of the scarecrow, mainly because I liked the bottles and an collecting them for my homebrew.

oh, im sorry... you could have got 5 london porter and ended up with 2 and 3 scarecrow instead... i feel bad for you.

LP is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

BeerNut wrote: »
    Just check that your capper can handle them. Wychwood bottle necks are an odd shape and notoriously awkward to cap.

+1 on this, you can fill the hobgoblin bottles but alas, you cannot cap them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A bench-capper will do it, I'm told. A twin-lever won't.

Fart wrote: »
    beer revolution, where do you source your beer? Bricks & mortar or perhaps drinkstore?

I'm quite limited with what's in Molloys and other off licenses around me. I'm definitely considering a big spend at drinkstore to get a few beers I've never tasted.
    Abbot's, Cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Several nice brews in the US last week, including

Hoplanta-650-435x235.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭FlicFlak

Had this aswell, wouldnt be my favourite (love Hobgoblin and Kinggoblin, best ever)!!
    You should try Goliath, its amazeballs!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

None of my local Tescos have anything interesting in their 5 for 10 range! Have they a full range where you are?

BeerNut wrote: »
    A bench-capper will do it, I'm told. A twin-lever won't.

I've a twin-lever and tried it at lunch. I wasn't able to cap the bottle :(
    None of my local Tescos have anything interesting in their 5 for 10 range! Have they a full range where you are?

Nope. But I'm based in Dublin City Center and the choices have always been poor in the Tesco's there.

From what I remember the only choices in Tesco in Jervis were the Scarecrow, London Porter, Bishops finger and possibly Speckled Hen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

FlicFlak wrote: »
    Had this aswell, wouldnt be my favourite (love Hobgoblin and Kinggoblin, best ever)!!
    You should try Goliath, its amazeballs!!!!

Please leave this thread, the only drinks that should be described as "amazeballs" are Cosmopolitans, Smirnoff Ice and Fat Frogs, thanks.

Des wrote: »
    Please leave this thread, the only drinks that should be described as "amazeballs" are Cosmopolitans, Smirnoff Ice and Fat Frogs, thanks.
    Ha ha ha ha!!! :D
    Sorry, just heard the word recently, that was my first oppertunity to use it......
    I'll go back under my rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Couple pints of Shandon Stout tonight, to spite the Arthur's Day mood. It's a pretty amazeballs drink tbh.

Sarky wrote: »
    Couple pints of Shandon Stout tonight, to spite the Arthur's Day mood. It's a pretty amazeballs drink tbh.

Don't get Des started!

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »

Ah thats hardly fair, Mojitos are amazeballs too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Picked up a six-pack of Hazed and Infused today. Unchilled so won't drink it until tomorrow. Having a Yuengling lager to clear my pallet in the meantime.

http://www.boulderbeer.com/beers/hazed-infused-dry-hopped-ale

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Ah thats hardly fair, Mojitos are amazeballs too
    Oh no, what have i started.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Nice line up for this weekend;old peculiar, old crafty hen, London porter, moonraker,directors and shipyard export. Havn't had the crafty hen or moonraker before but I love the old speckled hen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Son0vagun wrote: »
    None of my local Tescos have anything interesting in their 5 for 10 range!

Not even O'Hara's Leann Folláin?

Nice line up for this weekend;old peculiar, old crafty hen, London porter, moonraker,directors and shipyard export. Havn't had the crafty hen or moonraker before but I love the old speckled hen.

A nice little selection there, in particular the London Porter, its beautiful from the can and the bottle (presume you mean the Fullers porter). The only one I wouldn't be gone on is the Shipyard, the quality just dosn't seem to be there, I remember the beer being thin and lacking any malt hop character, the label looked terrible and the bottle was light and seemed flimsy (of course those things wouldn't matter if the beer was any use). Anyone agree or am I just being picky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Picked up some of the barrel-aged Porterhouse Celebration Stout earlier. Yummy!
    In fact, I might even say amazeballs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There are a few Alpirsbacher beers on display down in the pub. I've tried two so far, both were amazeballs. I think I'll try another tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

A few Dobbins tonight. Going down well. Amazeballsish?!

• Advertisement

I had a Wells Waggle Dance earlier. Manballs! that was awful

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Shipyard, the quality just dosn't seem to be there, I remember the beer being thin and lacking any malt hop character, the label looked terrible and the bottle was light and seemed flimsy (of course those things wouldn't matter if the beer was any use). Anyone agree or am I just being picky?

That's pretty much my memory of trying a Shipyard beer-but I couldn't be sure because I deleted it from my memory - too many good beers to remember!!;)

Just drinking two bottles of my Coopers Canadian Blonde homebrew.

It's been conditioned for nearly four weeks now.
    It's nice, the head is great and the taste is decent. It's quite a lager style/tasting drink, which is ok, although I'm not a fan of lager.

On my second bottle and feeling the effects lol. Much nicer than Heineken, Carlsberg and Budweiser though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Thick As A Brick

Workin my way through a few cans of Karpackie, sure it's cheap an cheerfull but it's making me fart like a trooper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

pints of porter from messr's maguires in dublin,only 4euro a pint which for city centre is good!had to try it after the auldx fella kept goin on about it,he drinks nothin but guinness but had a few of these when he was up visiting my sister and loved them!very easy to drink,before i knew it i had the first one gone and had to have another!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Jazus... Just finished a 1LT bottle of captain morgan original spiced gold with caribbean rum with my mix of cola which i received earlier as a present and i'm still sober but i have to say,...it is a beautiful drink once it is encapsulated with very chilled cola.. hopping onto the huge expanse of the white-head of tuborg now and i have to say the Beer tuborg encombers itself with a huge white head so i've gone to the canopy on the left here and open a nice bottle of gin which is 1 year old so here goes... ;)

Happy christmas folks wake me at 12:30. thanks over and out.

• Advertisement

Staropramen Velvet - lovely beer actually. Slightly creamy in a Kilkenny way.
    A good beer if you don't want anything strong ad goes well with a burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Staropramen Velvet - lovely beer actually. Slightly creamy in a Kilkenny way.
    A good beer if you don't want anything strong ad goes well with a burger.

Where did you buy it?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Where did you buy it?

Prague I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Prague I'm afraid.

:(
    Damn it to hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

flas wrote: »
    pints of porter from messr's maguires in dublin,only 4euro a pint which for city centre is good!had to try it after the auldx fella kept goin on about it,he drinks nothin but guinness but had a few of these when he was up visiting my sister and loved them!very easy to drink,before i knew it i had the first one gone and had to have another!

Had a few Guinness there about 2 weeks ago, and tbh they weren't all that great. Very soft imo, had a yellow head pretty quickly, so had to be drunk fast....Maybe it was just the night in question but I wasn't impressed by it.

Tonight tried Smithwicks Pale Ale in a bottle for the 1st time.
    It's ok I suppose, nothing special, but its drinkable and not the worst thing I've ever had. I'd probably try it again, draft preferably though.

Now drinking O'Shea's Traditional Irish Ale. It's got a wonderful caramel flavour and is a delight to drink.....pity I only bought one for tonight! :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement