Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

blueshed wrote: »
    got a btl of this http://www.lukrecija.lt/n/na/smetoniska_porterio_gira from a chap i work with.
    It's almost a soft drink. Gira is the Lithuanian version if Kvass. Very popular soft drink in that part of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

ye it's 1.2%, perfect for a mid week drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is pretty nice

Not getting the taste explosion I'd expect for "double chocolate". A nice drink but well behind Leann Follain & Fullers London Stout IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Which Tesco had the Porter? My local never bloody does!

Greystones. Had a few of them too. It was very nice, I'll be getting more in for Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is pretty nice

Not getting the taste explosion I'd expect for "double chocolate".

Reminds me of cheap milk chocolate...

It's not a bad beer but I couldn't drink more than one of them.

There's a weird pipe tobacco after taste I really don't like about it as well.

If you want to try a good chocolate stout that's widely available, try the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. It's delicious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Seaneh wrote: »
    If you want to try a good chocolate stout that's widely available, try the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. It's delicious.
    Fantastic beer, but entirely chocolate-free. Maybe that's why you like it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Some random beers I've picked up, some craft beers I've wanted to try for a while and some Canadian macro stuff for novelty value.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Fantastic beer, but entirely chocolate-free. Maybe that's why you like it ;)

But tastes very chocolatey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Some random beers I've picked up, some craft beers I've wanted to try for a while and some Canadian macro stuff for novelty value.
    Those Baird beers are delicious. Particularly the Suruga Bay.

• Advertisement

Drinking an Erdinger Schneeweisse, and as someone who generally doesn't like Hefeweizen's, I don't hate it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Got to try some new beers the other night.

Dry Hopped Rogue Red Ale - underwhelming - the same feeling pretty much all rogue beers leave me - not bad but not very exciting either.

Mc Tarnahan's Amber Ale - I like this as an everyday hoppy ale tasted like a pale ale to me. Would stand well alongside SN PA.

Brewdog Dead Pony Club. Very interesting beer - loadsa hops and low alcohol (3.8) make it like a very refreshing lemonade but with a distinct raspberry or blackcurrant sorbet taste - odd but nice.

Brewdog Libertine Black Ale. I really liked this. Hoppy, black bitter, smooth. Like a Black IPA.

Crew IPA - NIce to see the Germans getting in the interesting beer game - very nice does what it says on the tin IPA

Also tasted Innis and Gunn Spiced Rum Finish. It was every bit as revolting as I expected it to be. I have really come to dislike their beers. Sweet and artificial tasting. Bleugh!!!

Has anyone tried the full range of Fullers ales?

The reason I ask, I have a sister in law living in England and I've asked her to bring me home some beers not available over here. London Pride is my favourite tipple and I was wondering if its worth asking her to bring home any of the other ales in the Fuller family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

keano_afc wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the full range of Fullers ales?

The reason I ask, I have a sister in law living in England and I've asked her to bring me home some beers not available over here. London Pride is my favourite tipple and I was wondering if its worth asking her to bring home any of the other ales in the Fuller family.

I haven't tried the full range but I really like their ESB, 1845 and Bengal Lancer. I thought the Black Cab Stout was decent but not particularly exciting. London Porter is rich and tasty. All of the above are available in the better off licences here, though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Innis and Gunn was one of the first craft beers I tried, I saw the "World Beer Award" and was expecting something amazing ! Alas, it was terrible.

Agree with your assessment of Rogue, always been underwhelmed by their beers, and the cost of them is rather steep. Far better and cheaper beers we can get. I find it puzzling that they win so many awards.

Cant wait to try those two Brewdog beers, they do sound nice. Am finding Punk seems to be not tasting as good lately, so DPC or 5AM would be a good replacement. Had their San Diego Scotch Ale and Hello my name is Beastie, the former was very nice but unfortunately 18 euros a bottle, the latter was great but not as nice(or cheaper) as Hardcore.

I haven't tried the full range but I really like their ESB, 1845 and Bengal Lancer. I thought the Black Cab Stout was decent but not particularly exciting. London Porter is rich and tasty. All of the above are available in the better off licences here, though.

Thanks, any idea where?

The one I'm really interested in is Golden Pride. Try that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Thanks, any idea where?

The one I'm really interested in is Golden Pride. Try that one?

They're fairly widely available. I'm not based in Dublin but I know Super Valu on Aston Quay, Drinkstore in Stoneybatter, Redmonds in Ranelagh, Deveney's in Dundrum, etc, would all have a good selection.

Some Tescos have also been carrying the Black Cab stout and London Porter lately.

I have tried Golden Pride but it was a few years ago. Thought it was very nice, if memory serves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Thanks, any idea where?
    If you're in Bray, Holland's on Main Street is your best bet.

Most of the Fuller's beers get imported here sooner or later. I'm not seeing Golden Pride listed on the DrinkStore website but I'm sure some of the offies mentioned by Ruben Remus would have some. Look out for the Past Masters and Brewer's Reserve series -- some very interesting stuff in there, and I'd expect them to be a fair bit cheaper if bought in the UK.

And if I had a sister-in-law living in England and wanted good beer not available in Ireland brought over, I'd be asking for Kernel rather than Fuller's.

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Had their San Diego Scotch Ale and Hello my name is Beastie, the former was very nice but unfortunately 18 euros a bottle, the latter was great but not as nice(or cheaper) as Hardcore.

I resisted the San Diego but I really, really liked Beastie and while more than hardcore is pretty reasonable for one of their specials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Schneider Weisse Kristall.....outstanding!

brauerei.spezialitaeten.kristall.produkt.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

It's actually ridiculous how much I'm looking forward to tasting this stout. Should be out sometime next week.

150241_355211117907920_1833590766_n.jpg

Picked up two of these today. Gonna crack one up over the weekend and save the other for Christmas. Apparently they're selling fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Dermighty wrote: »
    Schneider Weisse Kristall.....outstanding!

brauerei.spezialitaeten.kristall.produkt.png

Got a few of those recently enough in an off licence for €1.50 a bottle because they were about 2 weeks out of date. Lovely lovely stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Picked up two of these today. Gonna crack one up over the weekend and save the other for Christmas. Apparently they're selling fast.

Did you get them in Bradleys? How much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Any chance of getting them in Dublin?

Had a samichlaus in The Black Sheep tonight. Wasn't the biggest fan and probably wouldn't try it again.

There was a ok malty flavour with hints of plum and vanilla but the finish was very sweet which put me off completly. Plus the mouthfeel was a bit thin and lacking, I think it may be that the stronger beers I'm used to are Imperial Stout types that have a very heavy feel compaired to this which I think gives a better dimension to the complexity.

It may also have been a bit cold as it did get a small bit better towards the end.

54kroc wrote: »
    Did you get them in Bradleys? How much?

No, got them in the Abbott's Ale House, but they are for sale in both places, along with Galvin's on the Bandon road. It's about €15 per bottle, but they are one liter bottles.
    matrim wrote: »
    Any chance of getting them in Dublin?

I think they should be available in Dublin from today. Haven't a clue where though, but I think it is up on the Franciscan Well's Facebook page.

No, got them in the Abbott's Ale House, but they are for sale in both places, along with Galvin's on the Bandon road. It's about €15 per bottle, but they are one liter bottles.

I think they should be available in Dublin from today. Haven't a clue where though, but I think it is up on the Franciscan Well's Facebook page.

Just checked there. And they say
    sweenys,Mchughs,celtic whiskey,Porbus,Redmonds,grapevine, jus de vine and martins

Just checked there. And they say

Where did you check?
    where can I found out if it will be available in Galway?

Where did you check?
    where can I found out if it will be available in Galway?

It was on a post on their facebook page. I don't see any mention of Galway but you could ask them

I was in McHughs today and they got delivered right when I was at the till so I got one straight out of the box. It was €11.99 if I remember correctly.

KJ wrote: »
    I was in McHughs today and they got delivered right when I was at the till so I got one straight out of the box. It was €11.99 if I remember correctly.

Are you sure it was €11.99? Bit strange if it was considering that I only bought it down the quays from the Fran Well for €3 more than that. I would have thought the price would have been the same if not slightly more expensive.

• Advertisement

Are you sure it was €11.99? Bit strange if it was considering that I only bought it down the quays from the Fran Well for €3 more than that. I would have thought the price would have been the same if not slightly more expensive.

Yep I checked the receipt. Definetly €11.99 that being said, it had just come in and he had to ring somebody to find out the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Fancied a beer tonight, so had a Raging Bitch by Flying Dog. Had it poured when I realised it was 8.2%ABV. If I'd known I wouldn't have had it cos I've work in the morning.

Wasn't mad on it TBH, it was far to strong, and I didn't finish it. Much preferred the Doggie Style I had last week!

Asked in Celtic Whiskey Store tonight and they won't have them until next week. But Probus announced they have them so will be heading there tomorrow to get a bottle

I got a few of the Fran Wells new stout from the abbots earlier. €15 a bottle, it ain't cheap. It's a very nice stout alright but to be honest I was a little underwhelmed by it.

KJ wrote: »
    Yep I checked the receipt. Definetly €11.99 that being said, it had just come in and he had to ring somebody to find out the price.

Fair enough. Just talking to some people last night and it seems that there is or was some price differences for the stout. Think a friend of mine got it form around €13 in Bradly's the day before I got mine for €15. Even one of the lads working in the Fran Well thought that €15 was a bit too much for one bottle.

Anyway, on another note, I went to the meet the brewer last night in the Bierhaus which was hosted by 8 Degrees. I had forgotten how good their stuff tastes. Had their Barefoot Bohemian and while I usually don't go for pilsners, I will definitely be having more of that in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My wife just picked me up a bottle of the FW Jameson Stout in Probus Wines.

Woo.

Fair enough. Just talking to some people last night and it seems that there is or was some price differences for the stout. Think a friend of mine got it form around €13 in Bradly's the day before I got mine for €15. Even one of the lads working in the Fran Well thought that €15 was a bit too much for one bottle.

I think there was an initial mistake in the pricing.
    On Tuesday evening they were €10.99 in The Abbot's.
    Next day they were €15 as they are in Bradley's too.
    Did I buy any on Tuesday?.......... Of course not!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

€15 in Probus also

Guinness FES on the couch before hittinh the Bierhalle at the galway christmas market with the galway city boardsies.

Wanted to have somehting tasty beore drinking god awful hefeweizen :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Had a couple of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Very nice, something I'll definately go back to.

Also picked up a bottle of FW Jameson aged stout and will probably have that tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Also picked up a bottle of FW Jameson aged stout and will probably have that tomorrow.

Just wondering where did you pick this up?

Will be in Cork City tomorrow, are they selling bottles in the Franciscan Well?

symbolic wrote: »
    Just wondering where did you pick this up?

Will be in Cork City tomorrow, are they selling bottles in the Franciscan Well?

I got it in Probus in Dublin.

On their facebook page they say
    Cork-Bradleys, Abbots, Mcgoverns and Galvins bandon road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

had my first brooklyn choc stout tonight, v impressed with it. for a 10% beer it went down v easy, lovely whiff of choc off it as well

Was out in Dundrum this evening so I popped into Deveneys on the way home and picked up a few beers. Just finished a bottle of St. Rogue Red Ale. Lovely beer, very similar to 5am Saint but more refined, less harsh.

Just sipping on some Rogue Hazelnut Brown now. Don't know what to make of it tbh. I had a pint of it in WJ Kavanagh's a few weeks back and thought it was one of the nicest beers I've ever had. It's totally different from the bottle. Very strong taste of Hazelnuts (I know, the clue is in the name!), rather than a more subtle flavour which I was expecting. The jury's out on this one.

Guinness FES on the couch before hittinh the Bierhalle at the galway christmas market with the galway city boardsies.

Wanted to have somehting tasty beore drinking god awful hefeweizen :pac::pac::pac:

Luckily they were selling Paulaner oktoberfest bier as well as they hefeweizen in the beer tent at the market.

There wouldn't be many times that I would be glad to have a lager instead of another beer but tonight was one of them!

Drank a liter of the marzen and as far as pale lagers go, I wasn't violently opposed to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Found some Spaten Octoberfestbier in the local of license which I havent seen in at least 3 or 4 years. Very tasty it is. Also picked up a bottle of Dark Arts porter after reading about it here. Was a bit disappointed, wasn't as flavoursome as I'd hoped. Maybe after the Spaten wasn't the best time to sample it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 aclerkin

franziska beer - straight from Germany - sweet beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

flying dog winter cruiser, lovely lovely beer, has that warming effect you want from your seasonal brew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't "get" winter brews.

I mean, it's the same temperature in my house all year round, I don't need a beer to warm me up.

Now, that's not to say that I don't enjoy them as much as the next man.

I don't "get" winter brews.

I mean, it's the same temperature in my house all year round, I don't need a beer to warm me up.

Now, that's not to say that I don't enjoy them as much as the next man.
    You're supposed to drink it in your shed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement