Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You're supposed to drink it in your shed

Isn't all beer suppose to be drank in your shed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Son0vagun wrote: »

Isn't all beer suppose to be drank in your shed?
    'My' shed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I have a hilarious picture in my head of some guy drinking a winter beer out in the shed:D:D

Im having a 5am saint, an unusual flavour, nice though, also in the fridge is an innis and gunn rum finish, i have had it before the taste is just insane, id say it would be better to have with food than by itself, fairly high abv aswell,

When I buy my house(hopefully soon) I plan to do a lot of drinking/brewing in my shed!

When I buy my house(hopefully soon) I plan to do a lot of drinking/brewing in my shed!
    Best place for it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I had the FW Jameson Aged Stout last night. Very nice beer, I'd never had the standard stout before and the basic stout flavour was nice, then the Whisky added a nice hint of sweetness without being overpowering.

Anyone know anywhere in Dublin you can get the standard FW stout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Bernard Cerny - standard Czech black lager. Not bad slight coffee hint but I got a metal kinda taste at the end.

I stay away from Pilsner Urquell but found a bar that says its aTank beer, unpasteurised version and slightly different. Well it does taste different and I got a caramel aftertaste.
    I need to go again as I have a bit of a cold and my taste buds are not 100% at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

matrim wrote: »
    Good question, I was disappointed when I went into The Gingerman a couple of weeks ago, as they have a number of FW brews on tap in there, but not the Stout.

Had a couple of bottles of O'Hara's instead.

I got bottle number seven hundred and odd of the FW Jameson, I'll share it with the brother on Xmas day.

Currently in Chester for a wedding. Having to drink Worthingtons which is quiet bland :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Currently in Chester for a wedding. Having to drink Worthingtons which is quiet bland :(
    Hickerys Smokehouse, decent selection of craft beer and melt in your mouth ribs cooked for 12 hours in a smoker, not cheap but worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Picked up the Franciscan Well Jameson Stout, there today. Might try a bit tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Rogue Juniper Pale Ale for the grand prix. very tasty I have to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I picked up 4 can's of Abbot Ale for €1.99 in tesco while picking up some nomnoms, not a huge Green King fan usually but at less than 50c a can I couldn't really turn my nose up at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Left hand brewery Milk stout on draft, wonderful stuff.
    Schendier Weisse Tap 6, not a wheat beer fan but this is really great.
    And last but by no means least, Flying Dog Kujo, Imerial coffee stout. I love my stouts and this is a new favourite. Bit steap but worth it now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Seaneh wrote: »
    I picked up 4 can's of Abbot Ale for €1.99 in tesco while picking up some nomnoms, not a huge Green King fan usually but at less than 50c a can I couldn't really turn my nose up at it.

why did you not tell me, you know i like a good bargain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Drinking Farmhouse Ale by Spitting Feathers, a local brewery in Cheshire. Weird taste that I can't put my finger on. Might need another one or two!

PS only on here cos this wedding is pretty crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

matrim wrote: »

They have a Shandon Stout tap in Against the Grain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Nomád Karel Česká IPA 16° a lovely American styled IPA brewed with only Czech hops says the label.

Nice amber coloured beer with a nice fluffy white head. Smells grassy and lovely caramel after taste.

Oh and called Nomad because they brew in different locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Had (Erdinger) Fischers Lager there yesterday as I saw it on sale in Munich for the first time. (already had it in Dublin but it was stale so not a valid tasting really). It shows that Erdinger are finally rolling it out in Germany to a small extent, even if they cant be ärsed promoting it properly with even a mention on their website.

I can see why folks would prefer it over fizzy irish brewed heineken etc. It is very flavoursome compared to a lot of other beers.
    For my taste though a shade too malty, too sickly sticky.
    Its a munich style lager but it just isnt as balanced as your Augustiner reference or even the somewhat underrated Löwenbrau/ Spaten on draught.

If it was a song, it'd be a decent cover song but you really can only think of the original that you would prefer to be experiencing instead !

If it was a song, it'd be a decent cover song but you really can only think of the original that you would prefer to be experiencing instead !
    What if it was a car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

What if it was a car?
    A ford bmax.
    When you see it you just think of its inspiration the C-Max and you know that its an all round better finished car than the knock off copy.

But if someone gave you one for free you'd still not say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Left hand brewery Milk stout on draft, wonderful stuff.
    Schendier Weisse Tap 6, not a wheat beer fan but this is really great.
    And last but by no means least, Flying Dog Kujo, Imerial coffee stout. I love my stouts and this is a new favourite. Bit steap but worth it now and again.

It used to be called Aventinus, used to be in a purple label bottle labelled Aventinus with white and gold writing with Schneider & Sohn written above it. Great beer for getting drunk fast!

Most of the Schneider Weisse stuff is awesome, especially Tap 2, the Kristall.

aventinus-doppelbach.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

Called into the local BrewDog bar and had 3 outstanding beers:

Cromarty AKA IPA (draft) - having never before heard of Cromarty I took a punt on this, and was repaid with an absolute cracker of an IPA. Very much in the new wave / US-style, it has that lovely pine-sap and marmalade nose that I'm fond of, a big dose of hops and nicely balanced by some sticky malt sweetness. A quick scan online shows it's getting some great reviews, and I'd agree. Easily one of the best IPAs I've had this year.

Kernel Imperial brown stout (bottle) - molasses and blackcurrant aroma? Check. Creamy & full-bodied in the mouth? Check. Coffee & chocolate malt flavours with just the right amount of hop finish? Check. Pretty much everything I want in an imperial stout. And for a 10%-er it hides the alcohol well, oh-so-drinkable.

Brewdog Paradox Jura (draft) - my second time to try this on draft, I'll not repeat myself so needless to say it's still excellent. Bit more smokey than I remember from the first time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

SomeDose wrote: »
    Cromarty AKA IPA (draft) - having never before heard of Cromarty I took a punt on this, and was repaid with an absolute cracker of an IPA. Very much in the new wave / US-style, it has that lovely pine-sap and marmalade nose that I'm fond of, a big dose of hops and nicely balanced by some sticky malt sweetness. A quick scan online shows it's getting some great reviews, and I'd agree. Easily one of the best IPAs I've had this year.

Tried Odell IPA? Awesome!

odell-ipa.jpg

• Advertisement

Had a bottle of Hobsons - Postman's Knock last night and was really impressed. It's described as a Ruby Porter (whatever that is!) and was expecting an English Brown Sle type beer for some reason. I actually tasted like a milk stout, very smooth with creamy malts and lots of chocolate and lightly roasted goodness.

Must look out for more in their range.

Had a bottle of Hobsons - Postman's Knock last night and was really impressed. It's described as a Ruby Porter (whatever that is!) and was expecting an English Brown Sle type beer for some reason. I actually tasted like a milk stout, very smooth with creamy malts and lots of chocolate and lightly roasted goodness.

Must look out for more in their range.

I thought it's one of the blandest beers I've ever drank!

I thought it's one of the blandest beers I've ever drank!
    Really? Hmmm... I was expecting it to taste like that, but was pleasantly surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

Dermighty wrote: »

odell-ipa.jpg

Hi all, when I was stomping around East Sussex drinking Harveys and King & Barnes and the like, we used to refer to I.P.A as International Piss Artist...and I'm sure u really needed to know that...:D

Really? Hmmm... I was expecting it to taste like that, but was pleasantly surprised.

It's just a very meh beer to me, nothing worth remembering about it.
    I've only drank it when in The Bier Hause in Galway and I wanted a dark beer that wasn't guinness and they were out of Dark Arts. Had one from the fridge, which was terrible. asked them to take one out and leave it on the shelf for me for a while. Drnak it about 45 minutes and again, it was just, well, bland...

But hey, horses for courses.

• Advertisement

Having a Thornbridge Raven black IPA in The Salt House. Not normally a black IPA person but this is lovely.

Having a Thornbridge Raven black IPA in The Salt House. Not normally a black IPA person but this is lovely.
    Ha, that's mad! I was just logging on to say I'm having one these too. :)

Incredible beer. Think I've found a new favourite.

Ha, that's mad! I was just logging on to say I'm having one these too. :)

Incredible beer. Think I've found a new favourite.

Aye its lovely.
    €4 For a 330ml glass. Happy days.

Aye its lovely.
    €4 For a 330ml glass. Happy days.
    Draught?

Draught?

Yesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

Seaneh wrote:

The Guardian had an article about the recent trend in BIPAs. I'm not sure I get the thrust of the article that BIPAs could act as a gateway towards stouts, porters etc for people who ordinarily wouldn't drink dark beers...any BIPA that I've had have been modern craft brews, and most craft beer drinkers will most likely have tried a stout or porter at some point anyway. Preaching to the converted surely?
    Dermighty wrote:

I haven't actually, must give it a try if it crosses my path. I've had their 5 Barrell pale, which I really liked.

The Guardian had an article about the recent trend in BIPAs. I'm not sure I get the thrust of the article that BIPAs could act as a gateway towards stouts, porters etc for people who ordinarily wouldn't drink dark beers...any BIPA that I've had have been modern craft brews, and most craft beer drinkers will most likely have tried a stout or porter at some point anyway. Preaching to the converted surely?
    To be honest I think it's more likely that a DIPA would make a dark beer drinker more open to Pale Ales/Ambers/IPA's/etc than the other way around! But hey, that's just me!

I haven't actually, must give it a try if it crosses my path. I've had their 5 Barrell pale, which I really liked.

I reckon Odell IPA is pretty much the benchmark for a worldclass IPA. It's faultless!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

Made it to the Salthouse in Galway last weekend. Class pub if u like craft beer. Only managed one beer there (Heidelberger Weiss) as had to move on. Would recommend the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I won't be drinking it this week, but my missus bought me a large bottle of Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti.
    It's an imperial stout and it's a stocking filler for Christmas.

I've noticed that the best before date is June 2012. I'm just wondering if it's still ok to drink, considering it's 9.5% and an imperial stout.

I'm going to drink it anyways :D, just wondering if there will be much of a difference.
    I reckon Odell IPA is pretty much the benchmark for a worldclass IPA. It's faultless!

Yeah, it really is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Fart wrote: »
    I won't be drinking it this week, but my missus bought me a large bottle of Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti.

I've noticed that the best before date is June 2012. I'm just wondering if it's still ok to drink, considering it's 9.5% and an imperial stout.

I'm going to drink it anyways :D, just wondering if there will be much of a difference.

Check to see if its a 'packaged on' date instead of a best before, I've been caught out before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Check to see if its a 'packaged on' date instead of a best before, I've been caught out before.

It does say "Best Before", nothing else I can find on it.

I'd say it'll still be lovely though.

It does say "Best Before", nothing else I can find on it.

I'd say it'll still be lovely though.

I'd imagine it will taste better now than when it was bottled.
    Big Imperial Stout's like that can only improve with age.
    So really, you got lucky.
    If it was an IPA or other hoppy beer, it might not taste great at that age, the hop acids break down with age and start tasting weird.
    Bit something with above 7.5% alcohol and dark will age very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Did she get it in drinkstore? I got one a week or two ago with the same date and it was fine to drink. I didn't notice the date until half way but didn't see anything wrong with it. In fact it's a lovely beer, so you're in for a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm currently in The Brew Dock having a Five Lamps lager. It's actually quite nice and refreshing.

I'm gonna have some Ale over the weekend. Yum Yum!

252263_4095970925656_63258516_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

The womans t-shirt says keep calm and try anal :eek:

I didn't notice that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Here's a selection I bought this evening

261567_10151169643863873_1928816106_n.jpg

Have had the Zeitgeist, really nice.

Drinking the Neuschwansteiner Weihnachts-Bier, it's a delicious dark ruby red malty brew. I love this beer.

I didn't notice that...

Well at least noby got the sarcasm!

• Advertisement

You get her number Baz?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement