Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason required for owning a air rifle?

Options
  • 16-04-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Filling out the licence application for my uncle and not sure what to put down for the reason why this firearm is required. Can you hunt with a air rifle under irish law?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

vermin control .ie rats magpies crows .

what does he use it for .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I put hunting and vermin control on mine, application only went in a few weeks ago, but FO said it should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

same as above,,dont put down target shooting or else you will have to provide details of target club.
    vermin control is the one .

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

If you don't know why he wants the gun why don't you ask him?

If he doesn't know then he shouldn't have it.

If you are proposing to lie on his application form, please don't ask for help here.

If you think informal target shooting with airguns shouldn't be restricted to approved ranges only, talk to your public representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Thanks folks. If i put down vermin do I have to apply for a limited licence?

• Advertisement

jwshooter wrote: »
    vermin control .ie rats magpies crows .

what does he use it for .

Tbh he just uses it for shooting at cans. he's not a member of a range.

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    If you don't know why he wants the gun why don't you ask him?

If he doesn't know then he shouldn't have it.

If you are proposing to lie on his application form, please don't ask for help here.

If you think informal target shooting with airguns shouldn't be restricted to approved ranges only, talk to your public representative.

If you can't be of help then don't post on my threads.

Don't think the limited is still available. He just has to chance to vermin now. He can still hit targets to zero his sightsor test ammo, if you get my point. Just don't put target on his application.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Don't think the limited is still available. He just has to chance to vermin now. He can still hit targets to zero his sightsor test ammo, if you get my point. Just don't put target on his application.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

kermitpwee wrote: »
    If you can't be of help then don't post on my threads.

Mr Flibble has a point. People having firearms for the sake of having them has a lot to do with the restrictions we as a group are currently experiencing :mad:

Every firearm I own I have a reason to own and have clubs & range memberships for those uses !

• Advertisement

Bunny to be fair the this question has come up a few times about air-rifles. At the point of deing told the "if he doesn't know should have it" comment by Mr Fibble, we did not know he was plinking at cans. The person will just have to change what he shoots at.

As for the target side of things, hom many poeple have posted here about plinking and they do not metion hitting target on a range.

Lots of people have asked for advise about the good reason section, people come here asking for help, not smart answers. Lets do this acorss the board with all these questions rather than picking on one individual, if we are going to go down that road.

Anyway I'm off to get a few more pigeons for the pie I plan to make tonight, using the 12g with good reason;)

Mr Flibble has a point. People having firearms for the sake of having them has a lot to do with the restrictions we as a group are currently experiencing :mad:

Every firearm I own I have a reason to own and have clubs & range memberships for those uses !

Mr Fibble may have a point but both you and Mr Fibble are posting off topic in this thread, thats why your point is irrelevant to my question.

Kermit we have mods here to tell us what we can/cannot post here. And last time I looked you weren't a mod here. You posted a question on a public forum. You don't like/agree with some of the answers. Simple solution. Don't post questions here ;)

"target shooting" with a rifle anywhere except an a Garda authorised range is now banned under the new legisalation. Shooting tin cans might be considered target shooting. Hence, if you tell the Super you want to shoot targets they ask for proof of an authorised range. Does shooting tin cans at the back of the house constitute target shooting under the legislation? We will need a test case to find out. You/your uncle want to be that test case?

As for using air rifles for vermin shooting I personally have no problems with it. However, I feel the Gardai and the legislation may see it differently. But as with everything to do with firearms in this bannana republic it depends on what interpretation the powers that be you are dealing with have on said legislation :rolleyes:

The "can I shoot vermin with an air rifle" debate has been done here before so I'm not going there again.

Why not use the reason it was got for in the first place? Or have you/he been told he can't have it for that reason anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

A valid reason is for varmin shooting on land that the owner of the air rifle has permission to shoot and hunt on. You may be asked to provide letters showing that you have those permissions to hunt from the land owners.

Plinking at cans will not be a Valid reason to own an air rifle, even if that is what it may sometimes be used for.
    Target shooting will require membership to a range so don't put that down.

Now that's a proper answer to the OP's question.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Bunny to be fair the this question has come up a few times about air-rifles...........

I stated firearms didn't single out air rifles

clivej wrote: »
    ..............Now that's a proper answer to the OP's question.

In your opinion :p

I stated firearms didn't single out air rifles

I know, but look at it within the contect of the thread. The lad was just tyring to get info about an application, I just thought the responses he was getting where a tad strong. Especially as this forum is generally a very helpful place for anyone seeking info. I would never of gotton statred if it was for here, and I'm sure I will continue learn more. Anyway he has what he needs now.

The OP or the person he was asking for just has to familarise himself with what he can shoot with the air-rifle and what he cannot.

In the context of the legislation an air rifle is the same as a .308 in so far as you need a good reason to have it.

If you haven't a good reason or don't know what constitutes a good reason you would have to wonder why someone has a firearm in the first place.

Lots of shooters who have/had good reasons, without having to ask here what they were, for their firearms have lost them, are going to loose them or are fighting court cases to get them back.

His uncle has a firearm and a certificate. He obviously gave the Gardai some reason when he was granted it. So why now does he not use the same reason ?

Lots of people come here for advice in good faith. This one seems a like he's trying to beat the system somehow !

If he is shooting vermin why not tell Gardai? If he is shooting cans why not tell Gardai? Maybe because he has and Gardai want proof of where this shooting is taking place? Who knows ? I don't think we got the full story ;)

The new legislation is there to tighten up on this ****e which is not to say I agree with it though.

The new legislation is there to tighten up on this ****e

You have the full story but I dont see why you have to use derogatory terms.

Thanks to all other contributors to this thread who have been civil.

I'm not trying to beat any system and I have come here in good faith. You have posed a lot of fictitious questions for your own benefit, not sure what you have to gain from them but thats your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

In your opinion :p

but then I am a GOD so my opion is always correct. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I actually seen the heading of this thread and winced.
    In fairness i can see where Bunny is coming from.
    Im not the sharpest knife in the drawer but i know why and what for i need my shotgun and rifle.
    Asking on a public forum what reason you need to have the firearm dosnt sound too good. As Bunny said if you dont have good reason you shouldnt have it. It just dosnt look good is all mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I disagree, the system is setup so that people who are not "in the know" can often fall foul of it.
    Asking what is a "good reason" to put down on a form is an honest question.

In the context of the legislation an air rifle is the same as a .308 in so far as you need a good reason to have it.

If you haven't a good reason or don't know what constitutes a good reason you would have to wonder why someone has a firearm in the first place.

Lots of shooters who have/had good reasons, without having to ask here what they were, for their firearms have lost them, are going to loose them or are fighting court cases to get them back.

His uncle has a firearm and a certificate. He obviously gave the Gardai some reason when he was granted it. So why now does he not use the same reason ?

Lots of people come here for advice in good faith. This one seems a like he's trying to beat the system somehow !

If he is shooting vermin why not tell Gardai? If he is shooting cans why not tell Gardai? Maybe because he has and Gardai want proof of where this shooting is taking place? Who knows ? I don't think we got the full story ;)

The new legislation is there to tighten up on this ****e which is not to say I agree with it though.

My understanding of was this Bunny was, his uncle used to use it for plinking. So did I but I also used it for the occassion bunny. So I had hunting and target on my last application for it.

This year as I'm not a member of a club I can't claim the target side, so went with the hunting option. I had to adapt because of the change. In good faith I took the question to imply that his Uncle was unaware of his other options.

Are we not going around in circles here? The OP now has the info he needs. Everbody has explained their viewpoints. I can't see a need to turn this into a post and conter-post thread going on for pages. If you right and we haven't got the full story yet, I don't think it will be fortcoming any time soon.

And of course your spot on, according to the law a rifle is a rifle.

Advertisement