Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number Of Rounds Question

Options
  • 16-04-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

BSA .22lr Self Loading (semi) .The local super has asked for the number of rounds it will hold, the rounds are fed through a tube in the stock. It will hold 8. My question is , is there a any restriction on the number of rounds it can hold ?
    The rifle has been licensed to its present owner for the last 7 years and in the family alot longer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

neolithic wrote: »
    BSA .22lr Self Loading (semi) .The local super has asked for the number of rounds it will hold, the rounds are fed through a tube in the stock. It will hold 8. My question is , is there a any restriction on the number of rounds it can hold ?
    The rifle has been licensed to its present owner for the last 7 years and in the family alot longer.

How old, might qualify as antique!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭neolithic

about 1949-1950

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

neolithic wrote: »
    about 1949-1950

Tell him it is an antique and see where it gets you.
    He is hard up for a Classic/Antique/Family Heirloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

AFAIK the magazine capacity limit for .22 rifles to be unrestricted is 10 rounds, so that's no problem.

Unfortunately the Authorities, who are so much wiser than we are, have decreed that because the magazine is in the butt the rifle is a bullpup, and is accordingly restricted.

If I was you I'd put in with my application a note of the configuration but pointing out that the gun is a very traditional sporting rifle & hope that common sense prevails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    AFAIK the magazine capacity limit for .22 rifles to be unrestricted is 10 rounds, so that's no problem.

Unfortunately the Authorities, who are so much wiser than we are, have decreed that because the magazine is in the butt the rifle is a bullpup, and is accordingly restricted.

If I was you I'd put in with my application a note of the configuration but pointing out that the gun is a very traditional sporting rifle & hope that common sense prevails.

Flibble is correct on 10 rounds. It is not an antique.
    I would simply tick the "Restricted" box in Section 1 and in Section 3 tick "rifle" and "semi auto" along with giving the other stuff(calibre, model, etc.)
    That way you have correctly completed the form. As the gun is moving within your family (if I read your post correctly) it should not excite too much interest.

I would not mention emotive descriptions like "bullpup.";)
    Rs
    P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's if the action and ejection mechanism are behind the trigger that it's a bullpup, not if the ammo is, and I suspect he means in the fore-end of the stock anyway. It's extremely unlikely that this is a restricted firearm, as I've never heard of a bullpup design from the late forties or early fifties of any sort.

It's if the action and ejection mechanism are behind the trigger that it's a bullpup, not if the ammo is, and I suspect he means in the fore-end of the stock anyway. It's extremely unlikely that this is a restricted firearm, as I've never heard of a bullpup design from the late forties or early fifties of any sort.

SI 28 of 2008 Sect. 3 (1) (assuming it's been enacted/enabled/whatever)

""Bullpup rifles" means rifles with a magazine located behind the trigger"

I realise it's not so much bullpup as bull****, but that's what it says.

And I suspect the OP is perfectly capable of distinguishing between the butt & the fore-end

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

SI 28 of 2008 Sect. 3 (1) (assuming it's been enacted/enabled/whatever)

""Bullpup rifles" means rifles with a magazine located behind the trigger"

I realise it's not so much bullpup as bull****, but that's what it says.

And I suspect the OP is perfectly capable of distinguishing between the butt & the fore-end

Fair enough, I stand corrected (legislatively) but I'm still willing to bet that he meant the fore-end when he said it feeds through the stock, therefore unrestricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

BSA had a couple of semis out at that time, but the description the OP gives seems to indicate his is this one; the BSA Ralock.

Available in twelve shot 22 short or 8 shot 22 long configurations, it indeed loads through the side of the stock and therefore behind the trigger.

091110153234002-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

It would take a real streach of the imagination to describe the above as a bullpup. It's a long-long time since I saw a rifle like that, but I would argue that the magazine extends forward of the trigger and should be non-restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭neolithic

Thanks alot for the replies, it is indeed the BSA Ralock (in excellent condition). I guess we'll just have to see how the new application goes. The current owner has had it licensed so there is no change of owner issues just the usual confusion with the new licensing process.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

sfakiaman wrote: »
    It would take a real streach of the imagination to describe the above as a bullpup. It's a long-long time since I saw a rifle like that, but I would argue that the magazine extends forward of the trigger and should be non-restricted.

The problem here, is that the laws, were wrote up by people who have no idea of what gun designs are out there. I have been in pubs, where old guns hang on walls, these are now classed as firearms under the new laws. Sadly you may have to argue your case in court :o

chem wrote: »
    The problem here, is that the laws, were wrote up by people who have no idea of what gun designs are out there. I have been in pubs, where old guns hang on walls, these are now classed as firearms under the new laws. Sadly you may have to argue your case in court :o
    They were always classed as firearms. The current definition of a firearm has been in the firearms acts since 1990. The previous definition since 1925 would not have made a distinction.

The problem here, is that the laws, were wrote up by people who have no idea of what gun designs are out there.

Exactly, them & IWM. How much was the bet for, by the way?

rrpc wrote: »
    They were always classed as firearms. The current definition of a firearm has been in the firearms acts since 1990. The previous definition since 1925 would not have made a distinction.

Sorry rrpc. I seen two enfields hanging on a pub wall. No bolts and no mags. The new laws now say they are firearms even without the bolts and mags. I know they were allway classed as firearms, but new laws have cleared up any gray area.

Exactly, them & IWM. How much was the bet for, by the way?

Im lost:confused: bet:confused:

Sorry rrpc. I seen two enfields hanging on a pub wall. No bolts and no mags. The new laws now say they are firearms even without the bolts and mags. I know they were allway classed as firearms, but new laws have cleared up any gray area.
    The 'new' laws have been there since 1990.

There's been no change in the definition of a firearm since then.

When they were hung on the wall they were firearms, they are still firearms. The only difference may be that someone is actually enforcing the law. It only took 20 years. :rolleyes:

Im lost:confused: bet:confused:
    This one:
    Fair enough, I stand corrected (legislatively) but I'm still willing to bet that he meant the fore-end when he said it feeds through the stock, therefore unrestricted.

The point being that many people here (who would be fairly expert) don't know all the configurations out there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Ralock_and_Armatic_semi-auto_rifles.htm

Nice description of the rifle here, it had some unique features.

Advertisement