Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Alarm with HKC alarm system

Options
  • 16-04-2010 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if I can have smoke detectors with the alarm..if so which ones? from where do I buy them and for how much ish?
    thanks guys!

The alarm is: HKC 812

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to electrical.
    Yes you can, you will need access to engineer menu for programming the zone.
    What you need is a 12volt DC smoke alarm with on board relay. EI or Aritech is what we normally use. All alarm wholesalers will have these. Expect to pay €30-€50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

which is the best?

12v dc alarms

or 230v alarms and a 'control pair' from a relay base back to sec panel

(http://www.eielectronics.com/Userfiles/ei128rbu_datasheet.pdf)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I prefer to keep the alarm seperate and as an addition to the existing fire alarms that would be in place.

sorry didn't make it clear

i mean if you want remote signalling of fire alarm by text

most houses now between 4-8 alarms so i suppose the mains alarms with link to sec. panel

Remote monitoring will work either way. The downside of the mains smoke detectors are more prone to activations. Do you really want a text everytime someone Burns the toast?

• Advertisement

you need heat/optical in around kitchens

false alarms caused by ionization type near kitchen

Fire Alarms are 24 hour & therefore should report accordingly in my opinion. But you can program the system to react whatever way suits your requirements.

koolkid wrote: »
    Fire Alarms are 24 hour & therefore should report accordingly in my opinion. But you can program the system to react whatever way suits your requirements.

alarms should always 'sound' on fire whether house is occupied/unoccupied

suppose the 'remote signalling' is prob better always enabled for domestic if you're going to have it

I would agree with that. Remenber if there is a genuine activation & someone is in the house ,the system may not be set. My basic rule re security has always been this.:
    It is better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I use menvier m12 detectors. They are a 4 in 1 detector.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Jnealon wrote: »
    I use menvier m12 detectors. They are a 4 in 1 detector.

Hi Jnealon,

I thought the menvier detectors are really for fire alarms but your a pro on it! Got a few questions:

• Is it possible to have a few menvier detectors on the one zone?
    • How much would you expect to pay for them?
    Maybe Koolkid or Jnealon could help me..
    thanks guys..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You can put as many as "you" want on one zone, but one per zone would be good practice.

Jnealon wrote: »
    You can put as many as "you" want on one zone, but one per zone would be good practice.
    Thanks..
    I found this detector (it's like the mevienr ones): M12 Scantronic 4 in 1 Smoke - heat selectable Detector .says it works with alarm..

i think the opto-heat(photo-thermal) alarms when set to smoke+heat
    can detect the fast-flaming fires without the false alarms associated with the ionization type(9v or 230v mains)

a separate indicator shows when they have to be cleaned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Tim M-U wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know if I can have smoke detectors with the alarm..if so which ones? from where do I buy them and for how much ish?
    thanks guys!

The alarm is: HKC 812

Hi Tim,

EI Electronics Ionisation Smoke Detector for hall, landing or EI Electronics Heat Detector for a kitchen will work with the HKC 8/12. You are looking at paying about €45 for each one. You will also need to program the zone for fire plus it best to install one per zone, If you dont have enough zones you can also get an expander to add 4 more zones onto the HKC 8/12.

Yea..its about £25 on a website i found via google! I have the engineer code so im fine there and i know how to change zone types! thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Tim M-U wrote: »
    Yea..its about £25 on a website i found via google! I have the engineer code so im fine there and i know how to change zone types! thanks for that

Your welcome Tim, if you have any problems installing them you know where we are ;)

altor wrote: »
    Your welcome Tim, if you have any problems installing them you know where we are ;)

I sure do!thanks guys!

Advertisement