Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Accommodations 2010

Options
  • 16-04-2010 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi: I'm an exchange student coming in the fall for one semester and I need to sign up for accommodations. Any thoughts out there as to Merville versus Belgrove, or off-campus accommodations? Access to food/supermarkets, or meal plan? I will be going into my 4th year so will probably have to hit the books a bit. Would like to travel as much as I can in-between.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Belgrove is a dump, Merville is much, much nicer.

If you want somewhere quiet, try Glenomena, mainly postgrads and internetional students afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Merville for the internationals defenitly :) there's a house full of americans in my square, also the ucd restaurant as a meal plan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The kitchens in the different accommodations are fully equipped for cooking needs unlike a lot of big american universities accommodation so there is no need for a meal plan. Theres a Tescos just down the road for all supermarket needs and Dublin city centre is just 25 mins away by bus. Roebuck is the nicest undergrad accommodation by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

New accommodation with food included (Roebuck Hall 2) is scheduled to open in September:
    www.ucd.ie/residences/newsevents/resnewstitle,36780,en.html

"Included in the rental price is a cooked breakfast and evening meal Monday to Friday, a brunch and evening meal on Saturday and lunch on Sunday, and we can be flexible by providing a hamper for those who cannot take a meal because they are commuting!

As part of our drive to build community we will also hold (at no extra cost) a number of meals and barbecues each year which will be a great chance to get to know your fellow residents and mingle with a diverse group of students from all walks of life."

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 terri24

Hi, I'm starting in ucd in september but only have lectures for semester 1. Anyone any advice on finding a place for just 4 months?? Muchly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

with the new system of letting everyone in. things will change so places will be allocated differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Reincarbonated

Heading into fourth year Glenomena might be your best bet!
    Others are for first years, I'd said that won't change even with them all being opened up to every year!
    But having said that, Glenomena is more expensive, so if that's an issue, Merville is next best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hipie

Looks like Merville then. Any ideas as to whether the first, second, or third floor is best? Elevators? Noise? Thanks much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

hipie wrote: »
    Looks like Merville then. Any ideas as to whether the first, second, or third floor is best? Elevators? Noise? Thanks much.

Either the second or third floor is good. I wouldn't choose ground floor apt unless you want passers-by staring in the huge windows at you. Also, you don't want loads of drunk people banging on the windows when they come home at 3 o'clock in the morning after a night out.

Elevators? lol, afraid not:P

Noise? there often can be plenty of that when drunk people accumulate outside your apartment and keep you awake. Although this would really depend on what part of Merville your Apt is in. I was in the main square last year. This is generally where the drunkards tend to congregate :D. The American house is also in the main square .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aido_b23

I'd strongly consider somewhere else. Campus is far too expensive! Glenomena is quieter but not without its madness from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i actually still have the landlord number with me if anyone wants a really close place to live at :pac: send me a pm. the house is 5mins walk from the main gate, very quiet house, i paid 460 per month in a single room.

Advertisement