Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Japanese

Options
  • 16-04-2010 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Ok I will be doing LC Japanese in my own time but has anyone advise on what books to use ect?? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martinstatic

What year are you in?
    I was deciding to do it until I dropped it, was just too much work.
    Best thing to do is to check the Syllabus here, as it contains what you need to know; Take good note in learning the Kanji on page 32, those in particular are needed to get by the Kanji part at least. :)

There are books/cd's you can use, but a teacher is phenomenally better, I'd advise one 100%.
    Many people think that using podcasts, audio CD's, or watching Japanese animé and films can help, but tbh, they really can't; Japanese will help understand them, not the other way around :P

So, I'd recommend the Genki course, I and II, but as long as you have a teacher, and make sure to avoid learning Romaji, it can cripple a good understanding of Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji.
    I learnt Romaji first, and now, years on, despite reading/using hira/kata/kanji, I have to stop myself from visualizing the English 'ka' for か, you REALLY have to learn them independently, and avoid romaji, for a understanding of the Japanese language.

Well, that's my advice; teacher+genki-romaji=Success!

Also, work consistently, studying hard everyday for a few months then slowing down and taking a few day breaks will just crumble and destroy everything.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Totoro_

Thanks This is what I needed

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martinstatic

I'm not encouraging piracy, <snip>

That is terrible indeed :rolleyes: ;)

As if Totoro would ever do That

But I dont care ; ) Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

No, you're not. Do it again, and you're gone.

I dont like the rule, but I have to keep it enforced.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

Nihongo Kantan is the LC Japanese textbook. You can buy it online. I would definitely recommend getting that if you're intending to do the LC exam.

Moshimoshi wrote: »
    Nihongo Kantan is the LC Japanese textbook. You can buy it online. I would definitely recommend getting that if you're intending to do the LC exam.

I was in the book shop yesterday inquiring into it and they had 3 japanese books and I did not know which one I needed but thanks :D. Oh Ucc do one on one lessons in it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

No the LC Japanese classes in UCC are actually classes..I used to go to it until droping it a month or two ago figuring I'm sucky at it XD

5th years go to St.Angelas on Patricks Hill...6th years go to the Building by the skatepark and Coffeshop by the bridge entrance to UCC.

Seloth wrote: »
    No the LC Japanese classes in UCC are actually classes..I used to go to it until droping it a month or two ago figuring I'm sucky at it XD

5th years go to St.Angelas on Patricks Hill...6th years go to the Building by the skatepark and Coffeshop by the bridge entrance to UCC.

Thanks but im looking into doing one to one and then in september doing the intermediate classed in ucc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I'd be amazed if you could find it..I tried and belive me I did and had no luck.

I ended up getting two one hour grind classes though which were one to one as well ass the class a few months before I dropped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

I studied Japanese at home and put it down on my Leaving Cert subjects list, but took it off a few weeks ago as I have six honours subjects and need to focus on my maths.

Advertisement