Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pools, Bikes and my new pair of trainers

Options
  • 16-04-2010 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Is it really April already???
    It is mad how quickly time has flown by. New Year appears and everyone makes resolutions and suddenly it is April and you wonder what happened!!

Well I have stuck to one thing. I am running.
    It is something I have always wanted to do and never managed to kick my self hard enough into doing.But surprisingly I have stuck at it and 30 seconds of hell has turned into a 3k dream....and beyond.

I really want to do triathlon. I am good at swimming, always have been, but cycling and running have been my downfall.
    I can cycle, but I can't do it for very long. I don't know how to work gears (sad I know) and I have never found it very comfortable. I am determined to get better though. I am saving for a nice bike, till then my trusty mountain bike will have to do.

Now that my running is getting better I am slowly working towards fitness.

I am hoping that inbetween kids, college and work I can fit in training (I must be mad!!)

I am doing the Great Limerick Run with nothing but finishing as a goal. After that I just plan to train and hopefully improve!!

This is my training log to keep me accountable.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well done on keeping it up, good luck on the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 onthehorizon

Saturday 17th of April

I haven't been able to do any training this past week due to being ill and having so much on. I have been kicking myself as we have had such nice weather I just wanted to be out in it!!

So I got out today. I have two weeks left before the 10k and I want to get a 5 mile in next weekend so need to get going.
    It was a beautiful day today and I flowed back into it better than ever. It was so warm but there was a nice breeze, just lovely.

2 miles in 23:43

I took it easy a nice slow pace easing me back into it. The last 500m I got stitch as I made my way up the big hill home but breathed through it and it eased fairly quickly.

I really liked the pace I did today.

Avg HR: 147
    Max HR: 168

5 mile Run

Today was my LSR and it went brilliantly.

I found a nice straight route to run with no major hills and I was pleasently surprised at how I did.

I slowed the pace right down as I was aiming more for distance rather than speed. I didn't manage to continuously run the whole distance but the walking sections were just a chance to stop my head pounding (it was so hot and sunny today) and then continue.

8.05km in 58.30

I am very happy with that and I am on track for the 10k in two weeks time.

5k run

My first 5k with no fast walking whatsoever and it felt great. I didn't even feel the need to slow down I just kept going at a great pace.

After the LSR I thought I wouldn't be able to do the whole 5k today without slwoing down but I found the right pace and it went like a breeze

5k in 35.47

The weather is amazing here today. The sun is shining brightly and there isn't a cloud in the sky. There is anice breeze though that kept me from melting!! I am going to have to dig out the sun cream I think if this weather continues to stop my face getting burnt. The sun is always shining right on me on my way back every run!! :D

Avg HR: 151
    Max HR: 171

4 mile run

Last long run today before Sunday. It was very overcast and humid and I really felt it. I longed for a nice cool breeze that never came!!

It was definitely busy out on my usual route today. I had to stop three times: to give directions, to get rid of 2 sets of wayward dogs that found ti fun to chase me, and a mad postman in his van!! :o

All in all though a great run and I am pleased with the time. I have one more shorter run planned for Friday and then rest before race day.

6.44km in 46mins

Avg HR: 155
    Max HR: 178

• Advertisement

Sunday 2nd May 2010

Today was my first ever 10k race and what a fabulous day it turned out to be.
    The day started out very wet as the black clouds, wind and rain lashed down as I arrived into Limerick and I was soaked through by the time I made my way to the start line. The rain stopped and the atmosphere got rid of any chills or doubts I had, it was fantastic. The marathon and half marathon sections were well underway and I cheered a few people on before getting near the 10k start line and I began warming up. Slowly but surely the start line became packed and by the time it was 5 minutes to go the girl doing the commentating and getting us all ready to go announced there were over 3000 people!!
    The mayor of the city did his speech and then counted us down...and we were off!!
    The sensation of going along with the crowd was amazing; I moved over to allow those a lot faster to pass and settled into a great pace. The first 2 miles flew by!!

Unfortunately just after 2 miles, part of the course narrowed down to a walkway bridge that caused a back up of people trying to get over it. Everyone went from running along to a stop and it took at least a minute to get going again which was such a shame. I continued on though and before I knew it we had reached the halfway mark. I couldn’t believe how fast it was going.
    Just after halfway, I was hit with a stitch in my side. We were also going uphill which didn’t help and I did have to slow right down. At this point it entered my head that I still had a lot to do and I began to doubt I would be able to push myself on without having to slow down to a walk. We rounded the top of the hill though just past Thomond Park Stadium and the stitch eased and the downhill run got rid of any doubts and I managed to do my best kilometre ever!!
    The next hard bit for me was kilometre 8. It was all up hill and by now the sun was out in full force and my head was boiling. I kept going knowing that I was so close to the end and the crowds were out willing every competitor on at each corner. It was fabulous to have people cheering you and giving you encouragement.
    The last mile was downhill and as we came over the bridge and you could see the finish line I could help but smile. We had two more corners to get around and with two band playing their music as loud as they could and with the crowds now lining the streets and cheering at the tops of their voices I sprinted to the finish line.
    I could have cried as I went across the line. I had completed my first ever 10k, I ran all of it AND although I was aiming for sub 80 minutes I did it in 69 minutes and 5 seconds which included the minute stop at mile 2!!
    I am ecstatic. I cannot believe how well it went. The atmosphere of a race is something I have never felt before and I am so addicted. When I stopped after crossing the finish line I nearly threw up as the stitch in my side I had forgotten about as I sprinted over the line came back with a vengeance. But as I met my family I shouted “It was amazing, I can’t wait to do it again” :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Sunday 2nd May 2010

“It was amazing, I can’t wait to do it again” :D:D:D:D

Whats the next one so :D

Well done and nice report

catweazle wrote: »
    Whats the next one so :D

Well done and nice report

Thanks catweazle. I am still undecided about the next one but it won't be too far off I can tell you :D

2 mile run

Set off to do a slow, easy 2 miler to ease my legs back into it and ended up doing a very quick 2 miles!!

It was overcast and wet today which is the weather I just love to run in. I noticed the faster pacein my lungs rather than my legs but I was still comfortable and pushed on. My fastest average pace yet and it felt great.

3.22km in 21 mins 19 sec

Avg HR: 159
    Max HR: 191

Advertisement