Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL lines deteriorating?

• 17-04-2010 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Well i used to enjoy a 3mb package from Perlico until a few months ago, i got reliable download speeds in the 200's. Even 2 years ago i was getting 120kb/s with an eircom 1mb package. But a few months ago, the speeds i was getting suddenly dropped to 67kb/s out of the blue. I automatically assumed it was a problem with Perlico because they dont have a very reliable rep, so i emailed and rang to no avail, and finally said to hell with it and switched back to Eircom. But i still cant get over the 70kb/s mark. I had a snoop around and found that my line attenuation is 63/31. Anyone know why my speeds could be so poor now compared to before? My best guess is the ADSL lines are deteriorating but i cant know for sure.

I live in Wexford town btw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Hantipants wrote: »
    Well i used to enjoy a 3mb package from Perlico until a few months ago, i got reliable download speeds in the 200's. Even 2 years ago i was getting 120kb/s with an eircom 1mb package. But a few months ago, the speeds i was getting suddenly dropped to 67kb/s out of the blue. I automatically assumed it was a problem with Perlico because they dont have a very reliable rep, so i emailed and rang to no avail, and finally said to hell with it and switched back to Eircom. But i still cant get over the 70kb/s mark. I had a snoop around and found that my line attenuation is 63/31. Anyone know why my speeds could be so poor now compared to before? My best guess is the ADSL lines are deteriorating but i cant know for sure.

Hi Hantipants,
    i have a post here bout eircom cutting me off.Seems like the same situation as you.Speed fine for 2 years then bam all of a sudden gone.Engineer out and did not seem too keen to get it sorted.Tech guy on phone not a clue and i felt that he was covering up something.I have a feeling that the exchange was down and when they fixed it they did something to my connection.When i first reported the problem i was told the whole exchange was down so it makes me wonder.Anyhow i have one of thes o2 midband dongles i am usibg at the mo.If i tried moving to vodafone for dsl wont they get eircom to fix the line?I just feel like i have gone back 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hantipants wrote: »

Some sort of line fault. Your modem can't read higher than 63.5/31.5 so the attenuation is probably even higher. If you used to have a stable 3 mbps, the problem rests somewhere between you and the ADSL equipment in the exchange. Is your line good for voice calls? What connection speed do you get on dialup internet? Did you notice or make any changes in your house or the area around the time the speed dropped? Did you see eircom men working between your house and town at the time?

Advertisement