Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping arrangements

Options
  • 17-04-2010 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

So my 4 month old lab has been sleeping indoors since I got her, she's a great little girl! I just assumed she should stay and always will stay indoors at night. But my aunt was down today and said she should be outdoors at night that it is healthier for them to sleep outdoors?

So dog owners what are your views? Innies or outies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Personally speaking my dog has always slept inside. He's used to it, then he's a Westie so nowhere near the size of a lab. If you're happy to have your lab in the house then that's your decision. The days are gone when you have to put your dog outside just because they're a dog. Do what makes both your dog and you happy that's the important thing and no offence to your aunty, but she isn't living in your house.

Most of my friends that have dogs keep them in the house because they are a member of the family to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I do think it's healthier for them to be outside during the day, for at least a good few hours, even if they're alone out there, but if you want to keep them in at night then that's fine. The only thing I wouldn't do is have them inside all day and outside at night, because then they'd be used to being warm and put out at night in the cold.

They're fine being outside at night if you want, or fine inside at night. Mine are outside all day and night (I live with my parents, so that's their choice!) and they're really healthy. But when I move out I'm gonna let them sleep inside at night if I can, and let them come into some rooms during the evening, if they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

All of my dogs sleep inside at night, in the kitchen in their beds. When I was young(er! ;)) we had working Labs and Springers that used to live and sleep outside and were perfectly happy and healthy. They had kennels or sheds with loads of bedding so were fine outside at night. They used to come in in the evening for a few hours but went out to sleep. The only issue was if any of them became ill (esp with arthritis) or if the winter was arctic they would need to sleep inside and because they weren't used to it it would be a bit stressful for the first while. They would get used to it pretty quickly and when it was time for them to go outside they would not be impressed.

Personally, I prefer my dogs inside at night. No kennel can beat central heating!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Every dog I've ever had even from a child has slept inside. We have had various sizes of dog, but a bed in the kitchen or hall is not a big thing. for many years we had a boxer/lab cross who was pretty big, so we had a big cushion type bed that we left out in the garden during the day(so long as it was dry) and brought in at night(keeps it smelling fresh too). Just remember to put the bed somewhere cool in the summer or when the heating is on.
    Its really a matter of what you prefer, I personally think its much easier to train a dog when they are close to you, and apart from being part of the family all our dogs are there to protect us and our homes. I also feel its safer for my dogs to be inside at night, than out in the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

Before my dog went missing I would let him sleep indoors in the winter and outdoors in the summer, I think that was a big mistake, I should have picked one instead of both because he would cry at the back door to come back in and sleep inside! I usually gave in and let him sleep inside because the area we live in isn't pet friendly (one of the neighbors poisoned my other puppy a few weeks after I got her and another guys 3 dogs were poisoned too) he went missing when I left him in the garden one night so that alone would encourage me to let them stay in at night. I do think it's healthier for them to be outside though (if you live in a safe area)

• Advertisement

And I just wanted to add, it's easier to look after, bond and train a dog who's inside sometimes. If they're outside all the time (like mine have to be, because of my parents) it's pretty hard to make yourself go out in the rain and cold to look after them! Luckily mine have each other and alot of other animals for company and I spend as long as I can with them every day before and after college. But in the winter when it's cold, dark and raining, then I can't stay out with them for long, obviously. If they're inside then it's easy to spend hours cuddled up on the couch with them or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My Chihuahua sleeps indoor while my other two sleep outside, the only reason for this is I have a 9 month old Rottweiler who can be a bit rough when they play so I wouldn't want to risk any accidents happening when I'm not there but before I had the Rottie the Chi slept outside too. I don't necessarily believe that its healhier for them to sleep outside but I've been raised around dogs my whole life, big, small, mongrel and pedigree and none have ever slept inside so I guess that's what I'm used to. Plus I like to practice NILF method of keeping dogs so that includes coming into the house. General speaking if I'm at home my dogs are in with me (except at night), when I'm not they're out.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

I dont see any reason to keep a dog outside,especiallly with the cold nights

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My two terriers are outside during the day and sleep outside too. They have plenty of shelter, but seem to prefer to lie under the tree; that's where one of them is right now. They're both very healthy and get lots of exercise chasing birds in the garden. When I'm here the back door is open and they usually lie there watching the garden for intruding sparrows.

As for which is better, I dont' think either is 'better', it just depends on which the owner chooses and what the dog is used to. I made sure to get a hardy breed because I knew they were going to be outside a fair bit and I have a good kennel. With good kenneling a lab should be fine, should you decide to let her sleep outside, but it certainly won't do her any harm if she sleeps inside either.

I dont see any reason to keep a dog outside,especiallly with the cold nights

A vet nurse told me that she believes all dogs, except hairless ones, should be outside 24/7, never left in. She said it's much healthier. But that they should have a draft free shed to sleep in. She also has boarding kennels.

And my vet said that she thinks dogs in Ireland are much much healthier than American dogs because they're outside more. (She's American.)

Some dogs are used to outside and hate coming in at night. When my Springer got old we tried to bring him into the utility room at night but you had to drag him in and he'd run out in the morning. So we got a shed and we had to drag him in there too! My oldest Cavalier lived indoors for a year and slept in my bed, but when we got a second one, they just wanted to play outside all day and get muddy and hated coming in at night! We had to drag them in like with the Springer. My third Cavalier loves being in though.

And my first Cav I had before these three, was so spoilt before I got her. She was meant to be an outdoor dog but spent her whole first year of life scratching at the door to be let in. Then she got hit by a car and we let her live inside from them on, and she loved it.

So I think it depends on the dog.

I know my dogs would probably wreck the house. They'd have to be well trained and brought up in the house and they'd have to be kept very very clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

cavs to be fair are house dogs,you couldnt leave them outside
    Mine would absolutley hate the idea of being outside.she doesnt even like the idea of going outside to go to the toilet at night :pneeds company when she goes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't think it's bad for dogs to sleep outside at night, once they have the proper shelter and are warm & dry. Weather can obviously change the rules for some days if it's winter or insanely cold/snowy out.

A friend of mine has 3 golden labs and all of them sleep outside in a proper kennel that's insulated/rainproof/ off the ground etc. During the very bad weather they're taken into the utility room. They're outside pretty much all the time, they love it, run around the large back garden, playing and so forth. The girls are really happy and in great health.

If the dog is happy enough to sleep outside (once it's accustomed) and it has the right shelter and the weathers normal, then I don't see a problem with having your dog outside. (talking about the OPs dog, rather than some dogs that couldn't cope with being outdoors)

cavs to be fair are house dogs,you couldnt leave them outside
    Mine would absolutley hate the idea of being outside.she doesnt even like the idea of going outside to go to the toilet at night :pneeds company when she goes :D

My Cavs are and they love it. But yeah my first one hated it. Mine are just used to it, but they were the ones who decided to be outdoor dogs! :D

Advertisement