Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for a nice restaurant in Galway?

Options
  • 17-04-2010 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

just wondering if anyone has any opinions on a nice restaurant in town for a group of about 15 next Sat night? It's a 30th birthday and was thinking E30-E35 max/head.

I messed up-was supposed to book the Tamarind but was too late and now they can't take us.:o

There'll be at least one vegetarian in the group so it would be nice if they had some options on the menu but suggestions of any nice places you've been around the city centre lately would be very welcome.

Sorry I know there have been a few threads on this previously but the ones I'm seeing are from four or five years ago!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Siui

Vina Mara on Middle Street is low-key classy, service is excellent and they are doing great offers at the moment (I think 3 course for 2 people with wine €67, and a great lunch offer for €10) - I'm reluctant to advertise them as it's a favourite of mine.

If most of you like Indian, Tulsi nearby is also good (can't remember the name of the lane it's on, but it runs beside the Augustinian Church).

For a different and definitely quirky experience, Ard Bia in the old Nimmo's, opposite the Claddagh (kind of at the back of the new museum) is great. Aoibhinn McNamara has had great reviews - but I haven't been there since she moved from Cross St.

As a non-meat eater, these are my top three - where I'd go if I was in town. Also, the g hotel (a bit further out from the hoo-hah) isn't overly expensive for dinner, although I don't know if they're doing deals at the moment. It might suit if most of you were girlies (the salons aren't really a boys thing, though the food is) and neither the boys nor the girls wouldn't want to have heels on if you want to hit Shop street afterwards...it's a bit of a haul downhill into town.

Enjoy....mmm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Da tang on middle street is great fun and very reasonable.
    (ask for the hot pot)

http://www.datangnoodlehouse.com/

Another nice Indian is Kumar's near Spanish arch.

http://www.kumarstasteofasia.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

McSwiggans on Eyre Street can always be relied on for a great meal, It can cater for big groups too and its right in the centre of town, 5 mins walk from Eyre Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

McSwiggans on Eyre Street can always be relied on for a great meal, It can cater for big groups too and its right in the centre of town, 5 mins walk from Eyre Square.

+1

Get the cajun filllet steak. Best steak you'll ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

McSwiggans is great for groups
    Menu http://www.mcswiggans.com/index.php/restaurant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 franj

Can't go wrong with Royal Villa in Salthill, great for groups with seperate area in the back and nice range of food and drinks, plus savage views! http://www.royalvilla.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Thai Garden near tamarind if you are looking for Asian or Asian tea House

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I absolutely freakin love Thai Garden. mmmmmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

[-0-] wrote: »
    +1

Get the cajun filllet steak. Best steak you'll ever have.

Had this Friday night, delicious doesnt even describe it!

+1 for tulsi as well. Their special chicken curry is soooo good.
    As a side note: they do 20% off when you order a carryout

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Il Folletto on Quay Street is good, has a gorgeous interior and nice atmostphere. Authentic Italian food and their early bird is really good value, if I remember correctly it was about 15 quid for two courses and a glass of wine or beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Mustard is good for parties, and I'm pretty sure there's a good few vegetarian options there.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Thanks so much guys, will ring around and see where I can get in the big group...thanks for the repies :) so many of these places sound fantastic, Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

McConkey wrote: »
    Thanks so much guys, will ring around and see where I can get in the big group...thanks for the repies :) so many of these places sound fantastic, Cheers

Let us know where you end up going and how you found it. :)

Booked Vina Mara-started at the top of the list and got lucky but thanks again for all the replies :) Will let ye know how it goes, should be interesting with the big group....was at a christening lunch on Sunday in a hotel and they just about coped with the crowd :)

McConkey wrote: »
    Booked Vina Mara-started at the top of the list and got lucky but thanks again for all the replies :) Will let ye know how it goes, should be interesting with the big group....was at a christening lunch on Sunday in a hotel and they just about coped with the crowd :)

Ok so went to Vina Mara...rang early in the day to see if they would make up a couple of jugs of Sangria as a little surprise but no joy...what can you do! The staff were hyper efficent, orders were taken swiftly and staff were not imposing or anything.

Had a lovely meal, only thing was most of the starters were fish based-not too keen on fish so was a bit disappointed that there wasn't really much choice there, crab and potato cakes were ok. Tried the vegetarian main and it was great, was happy with my chicken main-course. Wines were nice. Most people didn't have dessert as there was a birthday cake but I got one and it was fab :)

They even rang me this evening to see if I wanted to bring home the cake (they are closed on Sundays) but I don't live in Galway so couldn't go get it, unfortunately :( was a fab cake from a bakery in Barna I think.....mmmmm

Advertisement