Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st offroad bike

• 17-04-2010 1:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, Im in the process of buying an off road bike. I haven't ever been on a bike before. Im thinking of buying a honda cr125 or a honda cr250. Either way, I don't know what to buy. First of all, Im 23 and Im about 6ft tall and about 17 stone. I dont want to buy a bike that will be dead under me or get bored of in 2-3 months. Can anyone direct me? Im thinking of a honda because have a 450cc honda quad at home, honda cbr 250rr, cbr 1000 but no off road bikes. So can someone give me an idea please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

the cr is supposed to be a class off road bike. Go for the 2fiddy

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭focusowner

id go for a cr125 myself but am almost a similar weight to ur self and agree that it may be a little dead , how bout a nice yzf 450 ;) that would be a beast to hang onto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

To be fair, I don't think any Two stroke MX bike of 125cc or above will feel that dead.
    They are all pretty quick but a 250 2T will be plenty for a novice dirt biker to handle.
    The CR has a nice broad spread of power and if you ride it a gear high it will behave itself. Wring any MX bikes neck and you could find yourself in a bit of trouble.
    450cc 4T bikes will be too much IMO for a first timer.

he said he is a first timer but he is used to bikes so i dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TM RACING

focusowner wrote: »
    id go for a cr125 myself but am almost a similar weight to ur self and agree that it may be a little dead , how bout a nice yzf 450 ;) that would be a beast to hang onto

Not as much of a beast as a TM 450mx.

• Advertisement

probably not but i do have one on adverts .ie for sale lol:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭madmac187

Link me give me a look at it sure.....

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=211492&cat=500

There ya go hope that works first time to copy and paste from iphone

Sorry all, too much of a machine for a noob like me

A yamaha YZf250 is what im thinking. A 2 stroke 125 would be underpowered with me and 250 2 stroke is far too powerful. So Im thinking of a Yamaha YZF250 4 stroke. Im looking at 1 for about 2000 an 05 one. I have read a honda is too finicky and a kawasaki wouldnt have the build quality. But If anyone has any ideas Im all ears

• Advertisement

focusowner wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=211492&cat=500

There ya go hope that works first time to copy and paste from iphone

you are looking for way too much for that RMZ. try 1900.

Ok, don't get a 4 stroke, way too much matinance. oil and filter changes can get very expensive as the intervals are way too close. I think a 300 two stroke would be best (trust me i have one). They are very powerfull but as tractable as a four stroke and because of the large capacity engine, they rarley need engine matinance. I know it sounds like a handfull but they are eaiser than a 125 to ride. They are going cheap at the moment too. And best of all the only manufactures that make a 300 are the two best ones, TM and KTM. Happy shopping.

TM RACING wrote: »
    you are looking for way too much for that RMZ. try 1900.

Its not mine its my brothers he is in oz 3 years and it aint been ridden while he was away , as far as ive been told its a yzf not an rmz but then again its not mine so cant say for sure and as for price he set the price and price reflects the condition

sorry, my bad it's a YZF all right. But the price is way off. I am after buying a 07 TM 144 for 2100.

madmac187 wrote: »
    A yamaha YZf250 is what im thinking. A 2 stroke 125 would be underpowered with me and 250 2 stroke is far too powerful. So Im thinking of a Yamaha YZF250 4 stroke. Im looking at 1 for about 2000 an 05 one. I have read a honda is too finicky and a kawasaki wouldnt have the build quality. But If anyone has any ideas Im all ears

4 strokes take big matinance, avoid unless u race!

I made a purchase in the end. I bought a Yamaha YZF250. I went to 5 different shops North and South and all advised me of the same thing. The Yamaha. I live North both North and South. I found a couple of bikes all the **** drove out of them. But I found a gem of a one. Very well minded. Said **** it and bought it. Picking her up in the next few days. Can't wait. Any recommedations for gear anyone?

Yeah, you might all ready know this, but the first thing to do is buy a drum of 4 stroke oil and a box of filters, its cheaper in the long run. Oh and before you part with your cash find out when it has been rebuilt, 250f's normaly require a rebuild every 60-70 hrs of use. They also need a oil change every 3hrs if racing and every 4-5 hrs if only messing about, then filter change every 2nd time you change the oil.
    I still think you should go for a 2 stroke, much better bike to sart off on.

TM RACING wrote: »
    Yeah, you might all ready know this, but the first thing to do is buy a drum of 4 stroke oil and a box of filters, its cheaper in the long run. Oh and before you part with your cash find out when it has been rebuilt, 250f's normaly require a rebuild every 60-70 hrs of use. They also need a oil change every 3hrs if racing and every 4-5 hrs if only messing about, then filter change every 2nd time you change the oil.
    I still think you should go for a 2 stroke, much better bike to sart off on.

Thanks for your recommendations man. I knew alright about the oil changes and filters. Have done that alright got my bits and pieces. Trust me man though, I need the extra bit in the 4 stroke because I am heavy on it and I might have been a handful for a stroker 125 and bigger wouldn't be best for novice at all. But thanks for your guidance. Now the problem is to find boots.

I tried on alpinestars tech 3 but didnt fit. Normally a size 10.5-11 us in shoes but no way in them. I have a 19.5" calf aswell. I even tried size 13 but still no. Anyone any recommendations. I have heard of Gaerns and Fox can anyone give me any examples of themselves or ideas of sizes please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 slaine27

Hi All, Didnt want to start another thread so im also a noob who is looking for a scrambler , off road bike.

Im actually looking for something that would need to be repaired, a fixer upper so to speak, from a scrapyard or whereever, reasons are cause im not looking to spend much money and im doing a degree in mechanical engineering and i kind of good at fixing things

any info on where i could look etc would be great, havent a clue as it is!

thx

• Advertisement

slaine27 wrote: »
    Hi All, Didnt want to start another thread so im also a noob who is looking for a scrambler , off road bike.

Im actually looking for something that would need to be repaired, a fixer upper so to speak, from a scrapyard or whereever, reasons are cause im not looking to spend much money and im doing a degree in mechanical engineering and i kind of good at fixing things

any info on where i could look etc would be great, havent a clue as it is!

thx

The place where I bought my machine had bikes man for €750 older ones but if you say what you want he'll find it too
    heres a link to it.

http://manicmotocross.ie/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&sort=20a&page=4

• Registered Users Posts: 19 slaine27

madmac187 wrote: »
    The place where I bought my machine had bikes man for €750 older ones but if you say what you want he'll find it too
    heres a link to it.

http://manicmotocross.ie/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&sort=20a&page=4

thanks man ill check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

fwiw, I'm putting my toe in the water too, and bought a GasGas 250. Def didn't want a 4-stroke - wanted something light, simple.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yep, same as that, It is very hard to beat a 250 stroker for simplicity and power in a nice light package.
    250's are mostly pretty docile if you ride them a gear high especially the Enduro models which usually have their power characteristics setup so they can find traction on poor surfaces.
    Pure MX bikes can be a bit flighty sometimes depending on how they tuned.

Advertisement