Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speedplay Zeros

• 17-04-2010 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Never used cleats before but put some Speedplay Zeros on today. Anyone use them - any tips? Much maintenance needed?

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Chris bonnie here has them

I cycle with him, he had sore knees before he bought them, since hegot them his knees are grand, he swears by them

just give them a lash of wd40 every nowand them, but theresvery little maintenance on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

They are the most maintenance intensive road pedals out there. Do not use wd40, as it is not a bearing lubricant. It breaks grease down, its a solvent. wd40 is only suitable for seized threads. Use speedplay grease and gun, which comes with full instructions on how to service them.

When I said they are the most maintenance intensive I mean they can be maintained/serviced, unlike every other pedal where service amounts to axle/bearing assembly replacement or pedal replacement. It does not mean that they need a service every few hundred km.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

I had Speedplay Light Actions, didn't read the instructions and never greased them for about 3000 kms. When I finally did try to do it the bearings fell to bits. Replaced them with Zeros as they were good for my dodgy knees as mentioned above. Must grease them fairly regularly though ! They are quite tight to clip in and out of, might take a bit of getting used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

You need to lube the cleats with a dry lube, white lightening or finishline dry lube. Also the cleats must be kept clean of muck and dirt.

The bearings of the zero stainless steel pedals, are better quality, than the cromemoly axle versions. Speedplay make a special grease injector gun, to lube the pedal bearings.

Yes they are a little high mantainence, but they are worth it...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

+1 on all the above, I have Speedplay X1 Ti pedals, and they are great for the sore knees.
    The cleats can take a hammering when walking around, and you don't want to pick up grit on them and transfer to the pedals. Dry lube the cleats and grease the bearings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I've Speedplay Zeros on my bikes. WD40 will kill them VERY quickly. A lube gun in the grease hole on the pedals is a simple 5 minute job. Add another bit to the cleats themselves and that'll be it.
    While people may say they require maintenance, normal SPDs aren't user maintainable so that is why. It is very nice to be able to relube bearing as they do get stiff overtime.

Anyway the benefits of speedplays really outweight any negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mr Yunioshi

Many thanks to all for the replies. I've ordered the grease gun and some dry lube.

Tried out the Zeros on Sunday - I'm already a fan!

Thanks again,

Andrew

Advertisement