Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MArtial art for five year old?

• 17-04-2010 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Guys,

looking for some advice here. I have a five year old little girl (fifth birthday end of august). Who I'd like to learn a martial art for defense, exercise & discipline. I'll most probably be doing it with her ( first time). Could someone suggest an ideal one for the two of us to take up and also what the guidelines are on ageetc.

Tnx.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

iMax wrote: »
    Guys,

looking for some advice here. I have a five year old little girl (fifth birthday end of august). Who I'd like to learn a martial art for defense, exercise & discipline. I'll most probably be doing it with her ( first time). Could someone suggest an ideal one for the two of us to take up and also what the guidelines are on ageetc.

Tnx.
    traditional shotokan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Having done both shotokan and tkd up to black belt I can't say that it really matters which Martial Arts you go with. The only thing is that at that age you really need a class geared towards children. Not many clubs will let a young child grade ever 3 months so they may progress slowly. Some clubs have certs and badge tests more often so that there is constantly a sort term goal.

A good test of a club is say it takes 4 years to get their black belt so your child age plus 4 years = 9/10. Find out how many black belts or senior grades at that age if any or close to that age. This will show that the club is suitable for kids of that age as other kids had staying power there which is what you want.

There are bad and good clubs in all Martial Arts so you want to be getting best value for money. Some classes let the parents stay and watch. I would recommend this also.

Ask about cost. per session or per month. don't pay yearly, gradings etc.

Do you want a club that runs during the summer also , not many do with TDK and Karate. Some clubs have more holidays than schools but still charge for the full month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Guys,

Tnx.

Hi where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

@yomchi - I'm Dublin 13

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

@yomchi - I'm Dublin 13

Hi again,
    Well we're in Dublin 7 if you ever wanted to venture over.
    We have a class called Little Kickers. It's a class for 4 to 7 year olds and is based on fun games and some kicking drills. The emphasis for kids at that age is co-ordination and balance, hand-eye coordination and gross motor development.

There are about twenty kids in the class and the parents hang around to watch, drink tea or just natter. So you're welcome to do that, I don't think you would want to be in the class with all the other little dudes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm Dublin 13

Look around, your spoilt for choice.

Your more than welcome to pay us a visit at Portmarnock Judo (children are Monday from 6-7pm) or Donnycarney (Children are 7-8pm on Tuesday, Wednesday class starting shortly).

I help coach at Donnycarney and train in both, I'd gladly meet you and your child and introduce you to the club.

OP pay no attention to his hump and crossed eyes, hes a lovely chap really :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

yomchi wrote: »
    OP pay no attention to his hump and crossed eyes, hes a lovely chap really :D

The hump is handy for rocking myself to sleep!.

Advertisement