Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

difference between university and i.t.?

Options
  • 17-04-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

what are the actual differences between the two?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

ainrialai wrote: »
    what are the actual differences between the two?

i.t's are full of ugly culchie guys
    Universitys are full of hot girls and a mixture of good/idiot guys

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

i.t's are full of ugly culchie guys
    Universitys are full of hot girls and a mixture of good/idiot guys

If you have nothing constructive to contribute, then please don't.

Anyway, to answer the question at hand Universities are tasked with the advancement of knowledge, Institutes of Technologies are purely teaching colleges.

However, IT's are increasingly engaging in research, so the lines are blurring somewhat.

From a qualification perspective, both offer degrees at Level 7 (ordinary), Level 8 (honours), Level 9 (Masters) and Level 10 (PhD). Universities award their own qualifications, the vast majority of IT qualifications are accredited by HETAC.

Obviously, I am generalising, there are exceptions to all rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Have to say I agree with Tom Dunne.
    Currently attending WIT myself, and there's a lot more going on than I expected from an IT. When it comes to exceptions to the rules, every university and IT is different and the lines are blurred most of the time.
    I would say the main differences are in the courses available :rolleyes:

Advertisement