Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CO2

Options
  • 17-04-2010 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have an opinion on what short term effect the lack of air traffic can have on Dublin.

I remember hearing something about the change of weather in LA after 9/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

LOL! I am sure that the Icelandic Volcano will more than make up the difference of C02 that the aircrafts are not emitting at present. I wonder can we get Gormley to ask the EU to slap a carbon tax on the isle of Iceland also... might be a better plan than NAMA!

Extending the ban on smoking in public places would be better! :pac:

Get the volcano to contact these guys.

newman10 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion on what short term effect the lack of air traffic can have on Dublin.

I remember hearing something about the change of weather in LA after 9/11

ISTR that the main affect was that the upper atmosphere had much fewer cirrus type clouds and was much clearer increasing the amount of solar energy reaching the ground. Mind you a few million tonnes of ash would cancel that that out this time.

Can't comment on CO2 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

I lived in Southern California during 9/11, and it was definitely clearer than normal. The smog was much, much less. I also remember a documentary coming out about a year later that stated that the lack of plane exhaust left the air clearer and thus raised the temperatures a few degrees.

Can't remember what they said about CO2, and I would guess that the volcano this time would cancel out any benefit from lack of planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Danno wrote: »
    LOL! I am sure that the Icelandic Volcano will more than make up the difference of C02 that the aircrafts are not emitting at present. I wonder can we get Gormley to ask the EU to slap a carbon tax on the isle of Iceland also... might be a better plan than NAMA!
    I think not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

redalicat wrote: »
    I lived in Southern California during 9/11, and it was definitely clearer than normal. The smog was much, much less. I also remember a documentary coming out about a year later that stated that the lack of plane exhaust left the air clearer and thus raised the temperatures a few degrees.

Can't remember what they said about CO2, and I would guess that the volcano this time would cancel out any benefit from lack of planes.

I remember seeing a similar documentary and as well as higher temps in the daytime the nights were a little cooler due to the extra heat radiation from earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mmcd wrote: »

UPDATE 3 – 20th April – : More new info and some shame for us. According to leading geologists, Eyjafjallajoekull is emitting between “150,000 and 300,000″ tons of CO2 a day (source). Despite the attentions of the Icelandic vulcanologists and detailed research, our calculations were apparently off by a factor to 10. Many apologies for this error. The volcano *is* belching huge gobs of CO2 into the atmos. Arguably, still less than the amount that would’ve been emitted by the grounded planes. We’ve corrected the diagram. Thanks to all the commenters who helped us refine and correct our calcs.

==========================================================

Not much difference at all really now...

Advertisement