Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Angled Door for under the stairs

• 17-04-2010 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

What are the best options for getting/making up a door (with angle across the top) for under the stairs?

I was considering making from MDF, ply or even make up a hollow door. The main thing i'm worried about is if i use say 1/2 inch MDF or Ply how do i hinge it without screwing into the side of the door.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

You should use 3/4 inch MDF to start with as 1/2 inch is to light. There are a couple of options then for hinging the door. Piano hinge or flush hinges are probably the easiest to use but you have a high chance of the screws pulling out from the MDF. I would use blum hinges (kitchen door hinges). The door wont sit into the frame but onto the frame so it will have to be made 6mm bigger than the opening. Have a look at your kitchen doors to see what I mean. Only problem with these hinges is that you need a special cutter for them which is about 20 quid so it might run a bit expensive but you will never have any problems with the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

aaronm13 wrote: »
    You should use 3/4 inch MDF to start with as 1/2 inch is to light. There are a couple of options then for hinging the door. Piano hinge or flush hinges are probably the easiest to use but you have a high chance of the screws pulling out from the MDF. I would use blum hinges (kitchen door hinges). The door wont sit into the frame but onto the frame so it will have to be made 6mm bigger than the opening. Have a look at your kitchen doors to see what I mean. Only problem with these hinges is that you need a special cutter for them which is about 20 quid so it might run a bit expensive but you will never have any problems with the door.

Thanks for the reply. Yea 3/4 inch MDF would do the job. I know what you mean about the kitchen door hinges and where the door wants to sit, but i could just build the frame up on that side to accommodate them.

I know what you mean about the hinge cutter. I don't have one, but i guess i could use the router to take out what i need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Suppose you could use a router to cut out for the hinge but reckon it could be quite tricky to get perfect. I made a mistake in the door size too. The door should be 30mm wider than your opening, not 6mm, sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

What you are looking for is a Forstner Bit. Keep an eye out in Lidl, they have them from time to time, they are cheap and fairly good quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thanks for the replies lads... I picked up the piano hinge yesterday and fixed up the old door, it actually turned out quite well. The old door was chipboard but with all the screws along the length hold it very well. The piano hinge came in a 6' length and didn't even need to be cut.

• Advertisement
Advertisement