Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel vs Capcom 3 discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I was just reading a preview from computerandvideogames.com there.
    One of She-Hulk's win quotes: "Somebody once called me Phoenix Wright with muscles... and then I called an ambulance".

And about Deadpool:
    "Deadpool stands out as our favourite, the self-aware Merc with a mouth lambasts the player for sitting back and tapping buttons while he does all the hard work, and even requests that Capcom put him on the cover of the next Street Fighter for his efforts."

Awesome.

Also, the final combo that Phoenix does in that video (around 1:00 I think) does some pretty mad damage. She is using X Factor, so that'll bump it rather significantly of course, but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

Sairus wrote: »
    Also, the final combo that Phoenix does in that video (around 1:00 I think) does some pretty mad damage. She is using X Factor, so that'll bump it rather significantly of course, but still.
    Assuming that ressurection that starts taking her life away is dark phoenix i'm also guessing its a damage boost. so final X Factor and Dark phoenix is kinda like you're in for a world of damage.

Also hag is in my team simply for TURN THE BEAT BACK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I'm halfway considering dumping Dante for Hagar. Gotta have all dat 720 action up in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

With absolutely zero knowledge of Marvel games and just from a gameplay trailer, Haggar looks boring to play as + crap, however having said that...TURN THE BEAT BACK

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So what's the full roster at the moment then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

That puts the roster at 32. Both characters play like how twitter fella said and akuma was accidently confirmed so that leaves sentinel, hsien-ko and taskmaster to be shown finishing the roster with 36!

Oh and the jill and shuma a month after makes it 38.

My team will be spencer and super skrull with either haggar or wesker. Just cant resist spencer's and skrull's full screen grapples! Fullscreen grapples that beat out projectiles is too delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I don't think Haggar looks that great, character-designwise. Very plain. I was hoping they'd bulk him up a bit, give him some of that Street Fighter 4 chunkiness. Zangief's Alt 1 looks far cooler. That said, he does look cool to play as.

Phoenix also looks cool. And I don't say that about Marvel fools much.

Ugh. Just realised Phoenix has a healing move as one of her Hypers.
    Healing and Teleport. ****ing fantastic.
    So what's the full roster at the moment then?
    CAPCOM

Albert Wesker
    Amaterasu
    Arthur
    Chris Redfield
    Chun-Li
    Crimson Viper
    Dante
    Felicia
    Jill Valentine - DLC
    Mike Haggar
    Morrigan Aensland
    Nathan Spencer
    Ryu
    Trish
    Tron Bonne
    Viewtiful Joe
    Zero

MARVEL

Captain America
    Deadpool
    Dormammu
    Hulk
    Iron Man
    Magneto
    M.O.D.O.K.
    Phoenix
    She-Hulk
    Shuma-Gorath - DLC
    Spider-Man
    Storm
    Super-Skrull
    Thor
    Wolverine
    X-23

The rumoured character list has the remaining four slots to be filled by Akuma and Hsien-Ko (pleasepleaseplease) for Capcom, and Sentinel and Taskmaster for Marvel.
    Taskmaster can be seen in the leaked MvC3 comic pages and Akuma is shown on the VS screen from a review that has since been pulled from a game magazine site, so hey're pretty much confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Needs more Nova and Gamora.

Ugh. Just realised Phoenix has a healing move as one of her Hypers.
    Healing and Teleport. ****ing fantastic.

She can also revive herself as Dark Phoenix when she gets KO'd with 5 supers stored (with slowly decreasing life).

Also, from the looks of that video she can only heal herself if her opponent is within the sphere, so no turtling + healing for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

MVC3 looks sick, I will try it out!

GorySnake wrote: »
    Also, from the looks of that video she can only heal herself if her opponent is within the sphere, so no turtling + healing for her.
    Ah! Good spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Needs more Nova and Gamora.

I don't know much about Marvel, so before I clicked your link I thought you meant

Gamera1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Hah, I refrained from a post of the same nature.

"OH YEAH IT'S GOD DAMN GAMERA!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Pretty good preview of MvC3 up here http://ready-up.net/features/marvel-vs-capcom-3/
    Bit better than Joystiqs one www.joystiq.com/2011/01/06/marvel-vs-capcom-3-preview/ :rolleyes:

PPC wrote: »
    Bit better than Joystiqs one www.joystiq.com/2011/01/06/marvel-vs-capcom-3-preview/ :rolleyes:
    Man I hate Joystiq's FG coverage. It's generally pretty awful and reeks of someone who has played a lot of fighting games but never went beyond beating arcade mode.
    He mentions that Arthur is broken because of his projectile spamming and says to check out the embedded video for a demonstration. If that video is a decent representation of his ability to play then the awful preview is totally understandable :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Man I hate Joystiq's FG coverage. It's generally pretty awful and reeks of someone who has played a lot of fighting games but never went beyond beating arcade mode.
    He mentions that Arthur is broken because of his projectile spamming and says to check out the embedded video for a demonstration. If that video is a decent representation of his ability to play then the awful preview is totally understandable :pac:

It's basically a scrubs point of view- instead of dealing with a tactic, just call it unfair instead.

It's basically a scrubs point of view- instead of dealing with a tactic, just call it unfair instead.

I don't even think it's a scrub point of view, I think reviewers who comment on balance are either extremely moronic or incredibly full of themselves.

Seth Killian has said that Capcom has spent 50% of their dev time on the game on playtesting and balance, and generally speaking, the only way the tiers form and the match-ups are decided is when you let the best players in the world get ahold of the finished product and play each other.

For one random unknowledgeable guy who has to play an unfinished build under NDA in single player mode to say "[Arthur]'s easily the best keep-away character in the preview build, but it's incredibly frustrating that there's no check or balance for his tactics. Let's add that to the list of tweaks needed in the final game, Capcom." really annoys me.

He even says that it's not fair that Storm fully whiffing a Super could be so easily punishable?

What annoys me more is this tripe is immortalised on Wikipedia for all to see.
    Take the Gouken article for example:
    • Ryan Clements from IGN commented that "Gouken is one of the best new characters from Street Fighter IV", recommending him highly due to his large number of combos and originality.
    • Cam Shea of IGN AU held similar praise, adding "He just exudes power."
    • Randolph Ramsay of GameSpot shared the sentiment, noting that "while Gouken had the same fighting style as Ryu and Ken he was very unique and powerful."
    • GameRevolution reviewer Nick Tan criticized Gouken's moves for being "much stronger than those of many other characters, making evading them almost impossible."

We should all play Gouken guys, he's stronger than most of the cast and impossible to evade.

tl;dr: Reviewers can comment on the feel, flavour and design of characters and gameplay no problem, but the second they start talking about "balance" they're idiots

Yeah when it comes to beat em up reviews, I only listen to 360 world. On their dvd previews, theres one guy who from listening to him, you can tell he plays at tournies and is genuinely interested in beat me ups. His review of sf4 was what had me really excited to get the game. It was a day one purchase anyways but now I had hype!

P.S How come there was no haggar or phoenix in the secret event last night? Watched a good chunk of the stream those two were not selectable characters.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I would not trust any review or preview that talks about balance in a fighting game. Even if a reviewer is an experienced fighting game player there is simply no way he can conclude some character is balanced or not in the length of time they have to review or preview these games.

I don't think professional reviewers have the time to really master any game or understand them in depth. They simply have to move on to the next game they have to review.

Take say Empire Total War or Civilization 5, rave reviews from the professional reviewers but when the die hard fans and players got there hands on them they discovered series issues with both games that the average reviewer would overlook.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think the same is true even if a reviewer says something is incredibly balanced. They aren't allowed to have an opinion on the matter one way or the other. Their experience is too short and too isolated.

The exception to this is that if a reviewer finds a game-breaking bug in the final code of a game (like picking up a certain two guns in an FPS makes you fall down through the world) in the short time they have, that's a really bad sign.

Not sure if tis aimed at me but no no I totally agree with ye on that. Figuring out tiers and balance etc takes months. I just meant that if I'm on the fence about something, they usually have the right guy review the game and dont do things like what Baal was saying about Arthur or gouken being cheap or overpowered.

The point was more that when it comes to beat em ups, since its a tad niche, its alot easier to tell if the reviewer is a casual player or otherwise.

Really hyped for this game. Have details about online modes come up yet? Some day one online team battling would be a good laugh

Not sure if tis aimed at me

Nothing aimed at you at all.

Actually if you have a favourite reviewer who's tastes align with your own, and that helps you make purchase decisions, that's very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Do ye think this will come close to Street Fighter IV?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

What do you mean by close?

Like close to it in terms of gameplay or popularity.

I'd say no overall to both.

Gameplay is significantly different and it will be a real love it or hate it type of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Honestly, nothing can ever come close to Street Fighter 4. There may be games that some die-hards consider better, there may be games that some people just prefer, but SFIV's place at the top of the heap in this generation is uncontestable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

You can see in the video, not only does Phoenix's Healing Field super only work if the enemy is within the orb, but it also only recovers red life, which makes it a lot less useful.

Jennifer Hale as Phoenix ftw

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »
    What do you mean by close?

Like close to it in terms of gameplay or popularity.

I'd say no overall to both.

Gameplay is significantly different and it will be a real love it or hate it type of game.

I think MvC might have an initial huge spurt of popularity well beyond SF4s, because of Marvel fanboys. I'm not sure how many would hang around though.

• Advertisement

I fully expect to have a blast with MvC3 after launch, and for a little while afterwards with some of my less gamery friends who'll be using simple inputs.

After that though I imagine I'll drop it completely and only take it out when I have guests over (like TvC).

That's okay though because I find I always get far more hours played for my Euro with fighting games than any other genre*, even if it's a fighting game I'm not massively into.

*Except for Monster Hunter, how can I quit you?

Advertisement