Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel vs Capcom 3 discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah imo at level 3 it lasts too long and does too much damage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I finally wen't online with this game after reading so much negativity everywhere. TBH, it was annoying that if you cannot connect that you go back to the main menu sometimes, but in terms of connecting to people it was probably 1 in every 4 attempts, which is similar to SSF4.

The lack of an ability to check a connection before a game is rediculous.

Once I actually do get a game, the connection is fine 90% of the time. Played about 20 games but I haven't have even 1 close game. Either I hammer someone who is clearly has little idea of what they are doing or I get comprehensively beaten.

I like the rank up system, and it's a nice change from the PP/BP of SSF4. What I am appreciating is that, the more you give to it, the more you realise it's a very deep game (MVC noob here). The team selection reminds me of building a deck for a card game. Looking for move sets/assists/strategies that work well together.

My current team is X23/Dante/Wesker but am only half decent with X23.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

polls for DLC from official voting

Marvel characters
    1. Venom - 2034
    2. Gambit - 1704
    3. Cyclops- 1110
    4. Ghost Rider - 1095
    5. Carnage - 992
    6. Psylocke - 967
    7. Ms Marvel 792
    8. Dr Strange 758
    9. Night Crawler - 757
    10. Green Goblin - 748
    11. Iron Fist - 553
    12. Juggernaut - 538
    13. Daredevil - 500
    14. Cable - 497
    15. Rogue - 496

Capcom characters
    1. Strider 2094
    2. Mega Man X - 2061
    3. Phoenix Wright - 1734
    4. Frank West - 1311
    5. Gene - 1257
    6. Classic Megaman - 950
    7. Vergil - 919
    8. Captain Commando - 784
    9. Bison - 704
    10. Jin Saotome - 677
    11. Jon Talbain - 617
    12. Bass.Exe - 606
    13. Ken - 469
    14. Leon Kennedy - 419
    15. Cammy - 416

really would like to see Strider/Gambit/Ghost rider/Phoneix right/Rouge and venom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Is Strider just that high because he was good in MvC2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Is Strider just that high because he was good in MvC2?

AFAIK Strider was pretty much useless without Doom to set up his one effective tactic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

All I'd want to see from there:

Marvel
    Cyclops
    Gambit
    Cable

Capcom
    Strider
    Cammy

Suprised Cable fell so low in the voting tbh

why cammy? shes BS
    why not mbison or someone that stands out more

Strider's appeal imo is because he's a really fun MVC2 character to see played well, and I think people who never played had a perception that he's a low-tier hero or something so they like him more. Also he's a ninja, people love ninjas.

To be honest there are very few other SF characters I'd want to see in the game - most of the character designs just don't easily stretch far enough into the crazy Marvel playstyle for them to be cool VS characters imo. That's why I think Viper was a really good choice for MVC3, they were able to alter her into a cool MVC-style character while still keeping her core moveset design intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Necro might have been cool. Jack from Power Stone would have been excellent but they seem content to pretend those games never existed.

Don't really care about anybody on the Marvel side, though I did use Juggernaut back in X-Men vs Street Fighter and I liked to pick him occasionally in MvC2.

AFAIK Strider was pretty much useless without Doom to set up his one effective tactic.

My point was mainly that it seemed like he's highly sought after due to his MvC2 appeal, moreso than anything he's ever done in his own series of games.

I've played the Strider games on C64 and Atari ST, and he wasn't any more remarkable than Tiki the Kiwi or the dude from Turrican.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

There are a lot of really big Strider fans out there, though, i.e. fans of the original games. Kids these days don't know him but in retro gaming circles he's still popular.

I seriously doubt the hardcore retro put Strider at #1 in the character poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Fletcher91

Well, popularity in MVC2 was a big reason for the inclusion of several characters. Personally I would've prefered Strider over Sent anyday. It's actually pretty amazing that Strider beat out Megaman. I guess there are just as many Strider fans, they just aren't as whiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alexmc

Big Post coming, My impressions.

It's a fun game and I'm enjoying it but you gotta be carefully about random Hypers. People will throw out hypers at the worst possible time for them to do it. Because it's such a bad idea you don't expect it.

You've just done a air combo and Ryu's in the corner. You think to yourself there's no possibility that he's do a Hyper so I'll call out my Iron Man assist (uni beam) and cross up with Berserker Slash. He then proceeds to Takamatsu senpuu kick and hit both my characters (both sides of him).

Ouch.

You and your assist getting hit by a random Hyper can completely change the outcome of the match

People saving their X-factor for lv3 don't really intimidate me. I find it's easy enough to stay away and Advance guard when they start poking. If their third character is low on health when I ko his two characters then I'll Hyper then DHC to chip him to death.

Seeing as he needs to be grounded to X-factor and he comes in from the air. Plus the timer is pretty low by then and I tend to have three or two characters left so I can afford to run.

Some assists in this game are godly. Hseinko's assist with hyper armour is seemingly impossible to stop. I can't think of anything I can do against it. Maybe bait it, back away and do a projectile Hyper?

She covers a lot of the screen going back and forward so she might hit you out of it. Sentinel with Doom's missile assist is hard work to deal with.

You've got Sentinel beam spamming on the ground, Doom's missiles in the air, a launcher with armour properties if you get in and a Hyper which pushes you right back where you started.

If I could as least get half way to the screen, I could maybe XFC Sent's beam and Weapon X his ass but I can't even get close enough to guarantee the invincible frames will last when I reach him.

Any player not using Sent is going to have to come up with a anti Sent strategy or you're going to lose a lot more against him than you'll win(if it's a good player anyway).

I uses Wolverine, X-23, Ironman but switched out X-23 for Hulk. I'm also using a Heavy Hitter team of Haggar, Thor and Hulk as an alternate team. Started out as a joke team for messing around but Haggar is really good when you get use to him.

Character impressions

Wolverine

Wolverine is a rushdown character with a little less speed than his fellow rushers but a little more durability. He can easily combo into a Hyper from berserker barrage which is probably going to be how you dish out big damage until you get better with him.

aggressive player's who spam projectiles and call in assists should be VERY afraid of Berserker Barrage. I know from personally experience since I have often caught someone and his assist with Berserker Barrage and canceled it into a Hyper.

Since I have Hulk I can DHC into Gamma Crash which can kill the more fragile characters in the game I think.

His Berserker Slash can move you quickly towards the opponent and even cross up. I often use this with Iron man's ubi beam assist on waking opponent's so I cross up with Slash and hit the other side with the beam.

Uni beam has great hit stun so you can actually get off a Berserker Barrage X hyper from somebody typically too far to connect.

His Berserker Charge increases his speed but what kind of combo potential he gains from this is unknown to me. At the very least it would make getting in on keepaway characters a little easier.

As for combo's. Here's mine

With Hyper

L,M,L,H,S,M,M,L,H,Drill Claw,Dive Kick,S,M,M,L,H,Hyper

No meter

L,M,L,H,S,M,M,L,H,Drill Claw,Dive Kick,M,S,M,M,L,H,S,3M

The opponent will recover before the Hyper hits if you tack on the Mid hit just before the second launch. Also the 3M at the end is down-forward Mid. It has OTG properties

Haggar

He can get off a 500,000 combo without meter which is impressive. Even my Wolverine combo I showed above is only in the 400,000+ (the meterless one, Hyper one is in the 600,000's I believe).

His high health is nice and his pipe is godly. His Lariet is the only special move with complete invincibility but also drains his health. Getting off his throws can be tricky but very rewarding.

His crouching High puts him on the ground so he can roll. This is useful against certain projectiles to close distance.

Iron man

I use him as an assist to great effect but man, on point I really suck with him. His launcher has terrible range and almost always misses for me. I need to work on his normals.

I find that Ironman is a very poor keepaway character against other keepaways and a very poor rushdown against other rushdowns. His advantage is that he can get by as a rushdown character against a superior keepaway and get by as a keepaway against a superior Rushdown.

His Uni Beam is second only to Thor's in it's start up time. You won't be spamming it against Magneto, Sent or Doom.

Captain America

This guy is real basic. His health is slightly above average which is noticeable higher than rushdown characters like Zero. His combo potential doesn't seem that great but he hits harder per hit than Rushdown characters.

He has a handful of tools which have their uses but he's one of those characters who needs to use them all because nothing truly stands out as highly useful. His Shield Splash combos seem complex but they are actually easy once you don't rush the timing.

Shield Splash, while diverse in direction and for extending combo's is a very, very poor projectile when faced against other projectiles. A Rushdown player who understands the Shield Splash will have no problem getting past it and punishing you badly.

He just doesn't seem to have much that interests me although a few of his properties are kind of cool. Charging Star and Hyper Charging Star can pass through projectiles to a certain degree. Stars&Stripes can be used like Ken's Shoryureppa.

Final Justice is a simple but effective LV3 Hyper.

I would recommend him for beginners for his decent durability and simple execution for moderate damage but honestly, I think his moves require a lot of tactical thinking to be effective and that's pretty much the opposite of a beginner friendly character imo.

I think what it really comes to down to is he's risky. Charging star can get you in and bypass projectiles but it's unsafe on block and won't always make contact.

Shield Splash leaves you very vulnerable, especially in the air. I don't feel comfortable relying on such risky moves when getting hit in this game is so punishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Take down Dark Phoenix at transformation - Some characters CAN control it.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/feb/25/dark-phoenix-transformation-take-down-setups-mvc3/

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

SRKs new cheesy as **** mvc show

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Its nice to see (for now) that every character in the game has some use, unlike MVC 2 were out of 56 playable characters, you would only ever see the top 5

1. Sentinel
    2. Storm
    3. Magneto
    4. Cable
    5. Captain Commando

Or on some rare occasions, the top 9

6. Psylocke
    7. Doctor Doom
    8. Strider
    9. Spiral

Still, its early days yet.

You forgot Cyclops, Iron Man, and Blackheart (though Blackheart is fairly rare) and having Capcom as the 5th best character in the game is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    You forgot Cyclops, Iron Man, and Blackheart (though Blackheart is fairly rare) and having Capcom as the 5th best character in the game is ridiculous.

My bad, 5th should be Cyclops instead of Captain Commando, point still stands though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

http://www.destructoid.com/man-gives-up-sex-with-two-women-in-order-to-play-mvc3-194862.phtml?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Destructoid+(Destructoid)

Saw this on my facebook feed earlier courtesy of the MvC3 facebook page, though it might give you guys a chuckle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Johnick

First Shuma Gorath footage from the guy who hacked in Jill on the PS3 version, lookin awesome :D

"The Chaos Dimension!"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bought this game today. Never played a Marvel Vs Capcon game before, and was worried this would be too much like Street Fighter (I know most here are probably big SF fans, it's just not for me)

Anyway, really enjoying it so far. Bit of a button basher at the minute, but hoping to get into it. Loving Dante (big DMC fan anyway but he does seem brilliant in this game).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

MvC3 things I learned in Cannes:

Chun's lightning legs are total bull****.
    Haggar's pipe plus Sentinal Force assist is annoying as ****.
    Thor's standing jab Bro Fist is literally godlike.
    Spencer's Bionic Lance is way better if you make BWUMF! sounds when it hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

"PIPER SENTINEL FORCE" is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Is there gonna be MVC3 at Inferno? Or we starting a new hype tourney or anything?

MVC3 tourneys will be combined with the BB tourneys on the 3rd weekend of every month, don't think it's feasible to have them on with Inferno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I'm buying this. Who wants in on the order? I'll be buying it before Thursday probably.

il get one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Isnt the price from the UK outlet ridiculous? if you can get it for that price I'm in!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Yar, I'd like one too.

Advertisement