Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel vs Capcom 3 discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

2 characters available today for ps * Additional Character – Jill (£3.99/€4.99)
    * Additional Character – Shuma-Gorath (£3.99/€4.99)

what a rip off , i hate CRAPCOM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's cheaper than the DLC characters for BlazBlue.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm going to remind you of this post when the inevitable DLC for MK9 comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I was about to give out about the cost, and then I remembered how much I've spent, quite happily, for DLC with SSFIV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I dont mind dlc but when they release a game with such a half arsed online side they can **** off.

• Advertisement

I'm going to remind you of this post when the inevitable DLC for MK9 comes out.

I look forward to it ;)

MVC3 still a fantastic game just poor decisions and lack of content have me playing it less and less.

i wont have to worry bout that with Mortal Kombat nor have to worry bout my fav characters not being in game cause there all there except kintaro

still find dlc abit crappy , basically giving the community the finger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I...fail to follow your reasoning. DLC has been popularised as a set of mini-expansions to FPS games. DLC in fighting games could well be viewed as the same; instead of waiting a year or 10 for the next iteration of a game, the developer leaves themselves open to apply balancing and additions to gameplay as they deem fit.

How is incrementally increasing a game (albeit for a price) a middle finger to its community...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

There's nothing wrong with the concept of DLC, it's the questionable business practices that now go hand in hand with it.

Edit: Well that and the whole making it increasingly awkward to run competitions.

Voa wrote: »
    I...fail to follow your reasoning. DLC has been popularised as a set of mini-expansions to FPS games. DLC in fighting games could well be viewed as the same; instead of waiting a year or 10 for the next iteration of a game, the developer leaves themselves open to apply balancing and additions to gameplay as they deem fit.

How is incrementally increasing a game (albeit for a price) a middle finger to its community...?

Sorry i try to clear up what im saying. Dlc itself i dont have a problem with if companies what to have games last longer. my problem with the likes of Capcom for example when i seen evidence from sites that the content is already on disk but you have to pay for keys to unlock the content. that i cannot stand , they did the same thing with resident evil 5 aswell thats my problem. thats what im talking about with MVC3 , my friend already sold the game cause all of the content that was cut from the game. Over priced content aswell. suppose this is prob with this gen gaming, this is what its coming too now, overpriced dlc and see more games content gone for dlc later. just before anyone says to me you dont have to pay for it , i know that but then if content is cut no point justifying a 50 euro purchase for a game so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

But the hidden content on the disc was incomplete I thought?

• Advertisement

What will be a bigger pisstake will be them working on more dlc characters and leaving the online to be a broken mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

45f6e9ec_5ec6_e06c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hey guys, remember when this community started, and we couldn't realistically run SFIV tournaments on PS3 unless we wanted to play with 16 characters?

Fun times...

Yup.

I really, REALLY hope they release GOTY editions if they're going to start with this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Can't see them ever releasing a GOTY edition of this. The game doesn't stand out massively for the genre. Street Fighter already has that crown. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of "Super MVC3" down the line though....

Can't see them ever releasing a GOTY edition of this. The game doesn't stand out massively for the genre. Street Fighter already has that crown. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of "Super MVC3" down the line though....

Just call it MvC3 tournament edition then. Whatever, I just want a disc that I just flick into a machine with everything on it needed unlocked so tournaments can run smoothly.

They release goty ediitions for any old crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

bush wrote: »
    They release goty ediitions for any old crap.

Yeah I'm not sure how it's supposed to work these days, there seem to be like 10 games of the year every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

But the hidden content on the disc was incomplete I thought?
    The dlc is only 140KB to download. There's no way a file that small could contain any missing data the characters were supposed to have.
    Despite the claims/hopes from the ones who managed to play the characters a few weeks back, Jill and Shuma are fully on the disk.

Speaking of, Jill is a lot more interesting to use than I thought she'd be. I cant see myself using her regularlarly, but she's kind of cool. Her Lvl 3 dash around the screen move is mental. (Yes I know Bang Shishigami had one too)
    Also, her spinning machine gun hyper is pretty damn lethal against Galactus... but not much else :/
    ...inevitable DLC for MK9 comes out.
    The character select screen in the demo even has two slots greyed out with 'DLC' stamped on them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Dime101

Just got this game a few days ago.

I've been using Dr Doom, Sentinel and Akuma mainly.

Mixing it up with a bit of Storm and Magneto too.

Sentinel is god like, as is Doom.

Back to practice I go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭erinsoup

Sairus wrote: »
    The dlc is only 140KB to download. There's no way a file that small could contain any missing data the characters were supposed to have.
    Despite the claims/hopes from the ones who managed to play the characters a few weeks back, Jill and Shuma are fully on the disk.

Speaking of, Jill is a lot more interesting to use than I thought she'd be. I cant see myself using her regularlarly, but she's kind of cool. Her Lvl 3 dash around the screen move is mental. (Yes I know Bang Shishigami had one too)
    Also, her spinning machine gun hyper is pretty damn lethal against Galactus... but not much else :/

The character select screen in the demo even has two slots greyed out with 'DLC' stamped on them :pac:

Technically, you could fit alot of information on the how the character itself actually works. It might seem small, but that's because only the sound and graphical information was already completed on the disc. The people who went tinkering with it were actually able to get the DLC characters unlocked early, and they were confirmed to be unfinished.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Capcom has previous with this sort of malarky. They aren't alone but there is no defense for that.

They did the exact same thing with the multiplayer for Resident evil 5. 100kb download.....it just unlocked stuff on the disk.

The first set of costumes for SF4.....unlock codes for stuff on the disk.

DLC is brilliant. It adds longevity to games and makes developers money for their hard earned work. GTA4 expansions. Mass effect expansions. Fable expansions. etc.etc. New content. Great stuff. Everyone is happy.

But when publishers start locking content already on the disk so they can charge for it a couple weeks after release.......they have taken the proverbial. They won't be getting my money for new characters.

Game is fun though :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Kirby wrote: »
    Capcom has previous with this sort of malarky. They aren't alone but there is no defense for that.

They did the exact same thing with the multiplayer for Resident evil 5. 100kb download.....it just unlocked stuff on the disk.

The first set of costumes for SF4.....unlock codes for stuff on the disk.

DLC is brilliant. It adds longevity to games and makes developers money for their hard earned work. GTA4 expansions. Mass effect expansions. Fable expansions. etc.etc. New content. Great stuff. Everyone is happy.
    But when publishers start locking content already on the disk so they can charge for it a couple weeks after release.......they have taken the proverbial. They won't be getting my money for new characters.

Game is fun though :).

Exactly what I was going to post.

Lair of the Shadow Broker for Mass Effect 2 last year was brilliant DLC, and it's how it should be done. Ditto for Knoxx in Borderlands, it's the kind of thing that sets the standard.

This unlock code business (and that's exactly what it is, don't anyone go kidding themselves), is bullshit and Capcom are assholes for it.

I read on Eurogamer some other dev, which I can't remember right now, saying that they included them on the disc for the benefit of all gamers, so that if you didn't want the DLC you could still fight against those online who had the DLC. Which is, of course, bullshit yet again. How about just making it available to everyone if the thing is ready when the game goes to print?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

erinsoup wrote: »
    Technically, you could fit alot of information on the how the character itself actually works. It might seem small, but that's because only the sound and graphical information was already completed on the disc. The people who went tinkering with it were actually able to get the DLC characters unlocked early, and they were confirmed to be unfinished.

The only things that the tinkerers' said seemed uncomplete about Jill was that some of her moves did stupidly low damage (eg, her spinny machine gun hyper) and some of her sound assets weren't there and her sound levels were very low.
    After playing with her on the disk her damage levels have not changed and the sound levels are just as hard to hear in places. The missing sound bytes could be explained by them not linking all the right files together when the tinkerers' made her playable.
    I know that a 140kb is plenty of space for an XML file or something similar with balance changes, but it doesn't look like anything was changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Sairus wrote: »
    The only things that the tinkerers' said seemed uncomplete about Jill was that some of her moves did stupidly low damage (eg, her spinny machine gun hyper) and some of her sound assets weren't there and her sound levels were very low.
    After playing with her on the disk her damage levels have not changed

Her Machine Gun super does good damage if you hit them while they're in mid-air, OTG'ing with it is random. Sometimes it hits fully, other times it hits once and they block the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

erinsoup wrote: »
    The people who went tinkering with it were actually able to get the DLC characters unlocked early, and they were confirmed to be unfinished.

Bull****. First off, I dont condone Piracy and own a legit copy of MVC3 as anyone on this forum who has fought me on X-Box live can vouch for. I have however had access to Jill and Shuma on the PS3 version WAY! before they came out officially via the same hack that the guy who wrote that article on SRK came up with, wanna know how ?.

Thats it. Oh, and the first batch of DLC costumes are on the disc to. Ryu, Captain America, Dante, Thor, Iron Man and Chris Redfield can all be swapped for one of your characters existing palettes (just pick the one you like the least to sacrifice).

The Cosmic (pre Galactus boss fight) versions of Dr Doom, Wesker, Akuma, Dormammu are also available and can even be applied to other characters, but they look a bit weird (here's what Ryu would look like)

2.jpg

So no, Shuma was 100% finished from day 1 and jill was 99% finished on the disc, but was 100% finished after the Shadowpack update.

No telling people how to hack their games, plskthnx.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

No telling people how to hack their games, plskthnx.

Sorry man, just wanted to prove how lame Capcom are with this DLC character crap. Its almost like they make the full game and go "right, that's the game finished, now lets see how much stuff we can take back out to sell as DLC".

Costumes I can handle, they could have even kept all those cool Marvel costumes already in the game like Spiderman's Venom costume or Captain America's Punisher costume and sold those to us separate, no problem, but playable characters ?

jill2.jpg

F**k you Capcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

As i said, Capcom aren't alone in this.

Dragon age 2 came out recently. Same thing. Two batches of DLC already available after a week and both are about 10 megs in size......which won't even cover the voice actor sound bytes let alone textures or missions.

Bioware are the bomb but EA are ultimately the publishers...the money men. They really are trying to milk the public with underhanded stuff like this too. It's not just a capcom thing.

Remember a few years back when there was talk of Gran Turismo 5 coming with only a few cars and tracks and the rest being DLC? crap like this. Thankfully they scrapped the idea. Its like horse armour on crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Soulcalibur IV did the same with Yoda & Vader, right?

Advertisement