Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel vs Capcom 3 discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Soulcalibur IV did the same with Yoda & Vader, right?
    Yar, each was console locked on release. 360 got Yoda, PS3 got Vader. Months later you could purchase the missing character for your game, which was a 100KB download.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I don't get this entitled mindset where gamers feel like the deserve content for free, which other people worked on, and need to get paid for.

Often justifying it with some arbitrary set of conditions (like percentage of completeness on the disk).

At the end of the day, if a game company is providing you with optional extra content, be happy that you have the choice.

If it's a company like Capcom, which regularly releases free additional modes and balance patching (which costs them significant money and they don't charge for), naming them Crapcom or telling them to "Go F**k themselves" is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

At the end of the day, if a game company is providing you with optional extra content,

are characters really optional like Jill and shuma for example,
    i aint played them but lets say they were completely overpowered and you were at a distinct advantage by not having them,
    then to stay competitive you would have to buy them,

but you've already bought the game and a few weeks later they expect you to pay more money for things they didn't finish also ya wont have a full game unless you purchase the characters... before the release of dlc a game would have been finished before release, or re released a year later with balances etc. which is bad but not as bad as ..you bought the game now buy the characters

If it's a company like Capcom, which regularly releases free additional modes and balance patching

the newer resident evil had no multiplayer ,then 2 or 3 weeks after release they release multiplayer dlc for like 600 msp and the download was less then 1mb, meaning it was already on the disc and you had to pay to unlock it, that's paying to play a game you have already spent 50 or 60 quid on, this is what i think is ****ed up..

i have no problem paying for something someone has worked hard on but not just so CRAPCOM can get more money for something you already payed for...
    its like buying bread and then paying the packet for slices individually once ya get it home

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

Kirby wrote: »

They did the exact same thing with the multiplayer for Resident evil 5. 100kb download.....it just unlocked stuff on the disk.

didnt see you had mentioned that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

meducation wrote: »
    i have no problem paying for something someone has worked hard on but not just so CRAPCOM can get more money for something you already payed for...
    its like buying bread and then paying the packet for slices individually once ya get it home

Or to use an actual real world example which is functionally identical, all three Lord of the Rings movies were filmed at the same time, but were released separately because that was the monetisation model that made the most sense.

Sometimes, authours write a book series all in one go, but release them as individual volumes.

EVEN THOUGH IT WAS ALREADY ON THE FILMSTRIP/PAPER OMGWTF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Or to use an actual real world example which is functionally identical, all three Lord of the Rings movies were filmed at the same time, but were released separately because that was the monetisation model that made the most sense.

Sometimes, authours write a book series all in one go, but release them as individual volumes.

EVEN THOUGH IT WAS ALREADY ON THE FILMSTRIP/PAPER OMGWTF!
    That's a terrible example; no studio would release a 6-7 HOUR film into the cinemas, and there was a lot of post-production which hadn't been completed for films 2 & 3.

Which means it's actually an example where I *WILL* let them "get away" with seperate releases.

And the Extended editions were, again, cut short because you can realistically only have a film go for a certain length of time before it's considered "too long" -- and most of it was just pandering to fans.

At the end of the day, if a game company is providing you with optional extra content, be happy that you have the choice.

This is where things get dicey. As mentioned above, Capcom gave the multiplayer as a pay for DLC with Resi 5. Sure, multiplayer is technically optional.
    What about online multiplayer in fighters? Is that really a necessary part of the game? Why not pay for it?
    What about stages in fighters? Do you need more than one stage per game? Give only one in the game and let them buy more sure. It's just a background.
    While we're at it, training mode is purely an extra. That takes valuable dev time and money. Why should the player get that for free when they buy the game primarlly for versus mode?

DLC for undeniably important parts of a game like characters and multiplayer modes sets a very dangerous precident for what future DLC can be stretched to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Entitled?

Yeah, i do feel entitled to a full finished game when I buy one for 50 quid. Mad that eh?

Next pubs will be selling the head on my pint as an "optional extra".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I bought MvC3 today and shelled out the extra for the 2 other characters. I then seen in forums that I can expect another 6 to 10 people in the game. My problem is I will have to buy them all. Even if it was a sweeping brush I was fighting I would want to control it and buy it. If it is 10 more characters the bloody game will cost me about 100 quid.

Every game is becoming a subscription these days.

I don't mind DLC for outfits etc but when its for core characters it is a bit much for a 50 quid game. If there revenue model was to make a bundle out of DLC then they should have sold the game at 20 quid and were transparent about all the characters coming. I thought it was a bit strange to scale back the character lineup so much from MvC2. I will end up buying them (as I am a sucker for these things) but I cant see myself buying into other games in future if that is the route capcom goes. I deffo hope we never see that with street fighter.

DLC should be substantial if they are going to do it. 10 new characters for a tenner or something like that would be cool. Also I don't think it should come out for 3 months after a games release.

MvC3 is great craic and a much better game then I thought when I demoed it but Tekken 6 is looking like better value all the time. At least when you buy it you own it.

I don't have a bleeden credit card and have to buy those skinking cards as well for DLC.

More free DLC would not go astray to add value to a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Every time you make silly arguments in Capcoms defense I bite a chunk out of my desk.

Please, think of the furniture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

Every time you make silly arguments in Capcoms defense I bite a chunk out of my desk.

Please, think of the furniture.

Fair enough mate :)

Spose if we all buy it and the DLC we are doomed to this being the norm in the future. Watch the desk there.

I was using "you" to more closely resemble the old "Every time you X God kills a Y", wasn't addressing the most recent poster.

Though a couple posts did have me chewing on some oak. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

There has to be a good defence for programming a disk, selling the disk at full price, and then demanding more money to play locked content on the disk. I'm usually good at defending unpopular corporate decisions but I don't see one here.

Dunjohn wrote: »
    There has to be a good defence for programming a disk, selling the disk at full price, and then demanding more money to play locked content on the disk. I'm usually good at defending unpopular corporate decisions but I don't see one here.
    Game developers' usual argument is that while all the content is indeed on the disk, the DLC and the actual game have seperate budgets.
    Effectively two departments work simultaeniously - one for the core game and one for the DLC - and thus each needs to be paid for individually.

Sairus wrote: »
    Effectively two departments work simultaeniously - one for the core game and one for the DLC - and thus each needs to be paid for individually.

That is technically true of how budgeting works, but of course a DLC team shouldn't exist before the games release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Cash is king

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Game developers' usual argument is that while all the content is indeed on the disk, the DLC and the actual game have seperate budgets.
    But if the content is ON the disc, it can't be designated DOWNLOADABLE content.

@eco2live: The other 4 characters are unlocked by playing the game for an hour or 2.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    But if the content is ON the disc, it can't be designated DOWNLOADABLE content.
    Technically the DLC is just the ability to unlock the characters. They're on the disk grand - the code is not. (Well, it is, but you get the idea)

Devl's advocate an all that - I think DLC characters are as bull**** as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Speaking of DLC... we'll be seeing something called "Event Mode" up for download later this month.

http://www.neoempire.com/?p=7438

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Oh, so that's what it's all about.
    I saw something about events in the Titles section and was wondering what the hell they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Nagoh

That sounds quite a bit like a problem tailored for the solution. There's no need for a second team unless the DLC is substantial (Like an extra multiplayer mode, or an extension to a games story) or the DLC is developed after the release of the finished product.

Creating a seperate team "which needs to be funded too" is like charging extra for marketing departments, programmers, etc.

Long story short it's seems to be spin to justify a bit of nickel-and-diming :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I don't see why they don't just release a statement saying "It's our game. We're releasing content for it in the best possible way to make us money so we can continue make games and buy lots of coke and hookers. If you want to spend hundreds of man hours designing your game and then give it all away for free, go ahead."

Orim wrote: »
    If you want to spend hundreds of man hours designing your game and then give it all away for the R.R.P of a AAA console title, go ahead."

Fixed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Getting off DLC for a minute...

Yeah so I completely legally acquired the sound track to MvC3. It's awesome.

I mean the SSF4 sound track is really good, full of iconic and cool music but the Marvel one sounds like a proper film sound track, with repeating refrains and riffs sewn into the tracks here and there which make it altogether a deeper listen.

Some of the tracks are just great as well- Skrulls sounds all spacey and 1950s, X-23's keeps up the fine tradition of totally out of place pop in fighting games, Doom's remix is great, Wolvie's apparently a power ranger among others.

Anyone else got their hands on it?

Yeah so I completely legally acquired the sound track to MvC3. It's awesome.

Anyone else got their hands on it?

Indeed, it's definitely one of the best soundtracks I've ever listened to. There's so many genres covered that I cant imagine anyone listening to it and not finding a track they really like.
    Dormammu's, Jill's, Shuma Gorath and Spencer's are highlights for me -but every time I listen to the album I hear more awesome tracks I hadn't really paid attention to before.
    Shuma's is especially great, it takes the awesomeness of MODOK's but scrapes off most of the cheese.

While I love Spencer's theme, the almost spanish guitar feel is an odd choice - I kind of wish they stuck more to orchestral version from Bionic Commando [2009]. The way it sounds like a James Bond theme is a whole other kind of cool though XD

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

While I love Spencer's theme, the almost spanish guitar feel is an odd choice - I kind of wish they stuck more to orchestral version from Bionic Commando [2009]. The way it sounds like a James Bond theme is a whole other kind of cool though XD

I think it's a tribute to the C64 "samba" bionic commando theme which chip tune enthusiasts rave over. I'll link when I am not in a german office :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I don't have the soundtrack but when I'm not actually using the XBox I leave it on a lot with a tune playing in the sound test. The music in the game is indeed the best I've heard in years. Favourites at the moment are Amaterasu, Task Master and Zero.

X-23's tune is odd but it somehow manages to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Valormeer

Wesker theme, Akuma and Super Skrull are stand outs for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

I personally think this is the best one ;)

:p

• Advertisement

J0hnick wrote: »
    I personally think this is the best one ;)
    <Snip>
    :p

Mind blown.

Advertisement