Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking certain countries from viewing website?

Options
  • 17-04-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Quick question - is there a way to block internet users from certain countries form viewing your site? I ask because I created a small website for my sisters horse riding school, and when I was looking in google analytics yesterday, I found that a visitor from Russia had been viewing the site for 26 mins, and someone from Pakistan was on it for 15 mins. I don't know why people from those regions would spend so much time on a small Irish horse riding school website and am worried about attempts at identity theft ?fraud etc., seeing as my sisters contact details and phone number are up there. I would ideally like to lock the site down to Ireland only. Is there any way to tell Google to show results only for irish internet users?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

No. Googlebot comes from US, so if you block US IPs Google will think your site is gone.

What's on your site that gives you cause to be worried? If you have a website it's probably best to let all and sundry view it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I wouldn't do a thing.

Firstly, measuring time on page is a bit of a tricky matter. Keeping it simple, time on page is a measure of how long the pages were open, not how long they were being looked at. So 15 minutes could mean the page was opened, then the user went off for a cup of tea, came back spent 2 minutes actually reading the page(s) and then split. With people using tabbed browsing it can get even more misleading.

Secondly, it is unlikely that there is enough info for identity fraud, usually need more like date of birth, other account details.

The only time (over many, many years and sites) I've ever blocked access was for requests using wierd stuff after the URLs (trying to hack scripts) and to block a badly configured robot which was bloating our errorlogs to a ridiculous extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the replies.
    That sounds more logical than someone looking to commit identity fraud. I should learn not to worry so much :o

Thanks again

Advertisement