Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping chickens (for eggs)

Options
  • 17-04-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Thinking of keeping chickens, for eggs, in the back garden using one of these.

Are there any bylaws or anything in Waterford, which I should be aware of, which may prevent me from keeping 3 - 4 hens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Dunno bout any laws. There is a chap living across the green from me in hillview who has chickens. Used to have a cock (snigger) aswell. He left them run free. Was mad looking out the window and seeing a chicken in the front garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Are you planning on getting a rooster as well because if you do id imagine there would be some noise issues that your neighbours might not be so happy about.
    I was a chicken coop for sale out Jay-bees(The so called 'Amish Place') on the dunmore road the other day looked the job think it was nearer the 1000 euro mark but there were discounts on display items definatly worth a look tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

jayboi wrote: »
    Are you planning on getting a rooster as well because if you do id imagine there would be some noise issues that your neighbours might not be so happy about.

No, certainly not getting a rooster. No need, as far as I'm aware. The hens will still lay eggs without a rooster (I think - still learning!). I wouldn't want the cock-a-doodle-doing and I'm sure the neighbours wouldn't either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

No, certainly not getting a rooster. No need, as far as I'm aware. The hens will still lay eggs without a rooster (I think - still learning!). I wouldn't want the cock-a-doodle-doing and I'm sure the neighbours wouldn't either!
    I used to go mental sometimes with the cock-a-doodle-do at 7:30 in the morning. Was funny sometimes when I be drunk and leaving a little roar out the window at yer man screaming his beak off. Kinda miss the little shyte now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm in Viewmount and I've got 4 hens and wouldn't be without them. There is no comparison between the freshness, texture and colour of your own hens eggs and the majority of shop bought eggs. We don't have a rooster, I wouldn't inflict that on our neighbours or ourselves.

We've got Rhode Island Reds crossed with Light Suxxex and they can each produce up to 330 eggs in their first year, a bit less in subsequent years, they moult after about a year laying and may stop laying for about 6 to 8 weeks then when their feathers grow back they should start laying again. We bought them when they were near point of lay and had them 6 weeks before they started laying. They're great entertainment too;)

You're allowed keep poultry in urban areas, in fact Trevor Sargeant endorsed this while he was still Minister and notified all councils about this. I checked all of this out before getting my feathered ladies, with the council and Dept. of Agriculture.

The only paperwork that you must do even if it's only for one bird is download a form to register your flock with the Dept. of Agriculture, this is just in case there's an outbreak of bird flu or something like that and the Dept can contact registered bird owners. It's free and they don't come visiting.

My husband built a hen house within a shed and made a run out the back of it. As we weren't using our garden during the winter we let them out into the lawn but now that we're sowing seeds and planting vegetables he built a portable one out in the lawn area that can be moved around so they have access to grass.

They're very cheap to keep, a bag of layers pellets costs around €12 and lasts about 10 weeks for 4 hens, a bale of bedding straw lasts about 2 months and costs about €5 - €6. I mainly put it in their nesting boxes and a small sprinkling of it in the body of the hen house, I line the hen house and nest boxes with cardboard and newspaper. A bag of grit costs €2.50 and is essential for them to grind their food and for forming the egg shells, I'm still using the first bag that I got back in mid-September when we got the hens.

A drinker costs €4.40 and a feeder about €5. We got our hens from Keogh's Poultry just past New Ross and they were €8 each. We're getting 4 eggs a day so give some to neighbours and to the mindees to bring home.

They love scraps of food, things like potato skins, leftover veg, fruit, melon, sweetcorn, pears, apples etc. No meat or salty and processed foods. Avoid bread unless it's wet.

I clean out the hen house about once a week to 10 days. For small birds they produce plenty of sh1te but do at least 50% of it at night. I just clean out the paper, straw and sh1te and put it in a compost bin so will have great compost later in the year.

I did poultry husbandry as a subject in college back in the early 80's including incubating, rearing, killing, post mortums and cooking chickens, turkeys, geese as well as hens. My classmates and myself were known as cock chokers.;) We just used our hands and manually killed them, we didn't use an axe or knife. It's all in the technique :D but we had to use a broom handle for turkeys.

I have been considering getting a couple of chicks to rear for the table but my children and mindees would not fancy me killing something we reared.

We have 3 cats as well but they keep out from the hens, a couple of pecks and flapping of wings sorted that.

If there's anything you want to know just ask and I'll see if I can help. I fully recommend getting them.

• Advertisement

Deisemum, you are a diamond. Really appreciate you posting that!! :):)

Lots of great info. I just have to convince the missus now. Might be back with more questions soon though!

Ooh, what do you think of this, Deisemum?

Or what about an Eglu Go?

Personally I'd prefer the wooden one over the eglu but that's personal choice especially when that's a very good price for the wooden one.

If you get the wooden one I'd strongly recommend getting a run with it to protect them from dogs, cats and foxes. Even if you're around and let them roam in the garden the run is still handy if you have to pop out. There are plenty of foxes roaming around the city at night and I'm not talking about what you'd see outside Ruby's ;). One night before we got the hens I opened the door to let a cat out into my back garden and there was a fox on the deck. My neighbour's have seen plenty of them at night.

Once you get hens you'll be surprised at how easy they are to look after. They don't like the dark and as soon as it's dusk they'll head straight for their coop, you just need to lock them in to keep them safe. They're supposed to sleep on their perch and crap while they sleep but 1 or 2 of ours likes to sleep in a nest box.

Keeping hens is the fastest growing hobby in the country at the moment so demand for hens is very high.

You're welcome to visit and see my set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Why would people want a Cock if the hens lay anyway, there are now 2 clowns in my very small estate who have them and they are simply the noisiest bastards ever....

Thanks again, Deisemum - and that's very kind of you. Will be in touch (wife permitting!).

Noffles wrote: »
    Why would people want a Cock if the hens lay anyway, there are now 2 clowns in my very small estate who have them and they are simply the noisiest bastards ever....

I cannot understand why someone would willingly have cocks in an urban area. The only reason that I can think of is if someone got the chicks when they were very young before the sex can be determined which is around 8 or 9 weeks but even then if they had any consideration for their neighbours they should find a home for it in a rural area.

• Advertisement

Deisemum, would I be able to buy hatchlings from anywhere, do you know? I have a two year old and I'm sure he'd love to have tiny baby chicks and watch them grow.

If any turn out to be male I assume I could give them away to a farm?

Or would you not recommend hatchlings (perhaps they require special food / care)?

From memory (nearly 30 years ago) when we hatched out eggs in college you had them in an incubator then when they hatched we kept them in a box under an infra-red lamp and fed them crumb. More equipment so more cost.

I regularly see adverts selling the hatching eggs so yeah you can get them but I think starting off you might be better going for the easier option. It's a lot easier to bring your 2 year old to a farm and it will be excited with having hens anyway.

Here's a link where you can get more info.

http://www.giyireland.com/group.php?group_id=1

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

I have four hens and two ducks and keep them in a Eglu.

One word of warning about the Eglu - the basic model has a very small "run" and when we bought it we got two extra sections to give them a bit more room and, in my mind, it was a good decision as otherwise they would be very, very confined which appeared very unnatural to me. When I am out in the garden I leave them out to wander about. My neighbour has two dogs which can come into my garden with ease and so I cannot leave the birds outside unattended.

Otherwise, our experience with the Eglu has been very positive. It is very easy to assemble and, most importantly, very easy to clean out.

Thanks Black Dog.

Do you know of where to buy an Eglu in Ireland, or must they be imported from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Thanks Black Dog.

Do you know of where to buy an Eglu in Ireland, or must they be imported from the UK?

Not available in Ireland to the best of my knowledge. We ordered from the UK.

Deisemum, would I be able to buy hatchlings from anywhere, do you know? I have a two year old and I'm sure he'd love to have tiny baby chicks and watch them grow.

If any turn out to be male I assume I could give them away to a farm?

Or would you not recommend hatchlings (perhaps they require special food / care)?

Just found out today that someone I know got 14 hatching eggs, 7 didn't take but the other 7 are due to hatch out any day. I'll ask her about them when I see her but she's used to hens so maybe a bit of experience helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

saw this add in the local paper Henhouse's for sale! Only €250 for henhouse, 2 hens, bale of feed, bale of sawdust, water feeder and pellet feeder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

If you go away for a few days, can you feed them before you go and leave them there? If so, how long can they stay 'home alone'?

I don't fancy seatbelting Henrietta into the back seat and taking her to the mother in laws.

Trotter wrote: »
    If you go away for a few days, can you feed them before you go and leave them there? If so, how long can they stay 'home alone'?

I don't fancy seatbelting Henrietta into the back seat and taking her to the mother in laws.

One of my friends knows a woman just outside Waterford city who takes her 3 hens with her and the children when she visits her home place in Galway.:D

Personally I'd prefer to get my neighbour to pop in and let them out of the hen house into the run and just to top up their water and feed and just lock them in again at night especially if the weather is bad.

If it's mild weather then if the hen house door is open they can go in and out of the hen house into the run at their leisure so I might chance it overnight. They get through a fair amount of water on warm and hot days.

I've a few neighbours who would do it, collecting free eggs is a great incentive. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

deisemum wrote: »
    I've a few neighbours who would do it, collecting free eggs is a great incentive. ;)

Hmm... I don't know if I'd be able to check in on the girls every day.. I was hoping I'd get 3 or 4 days of 'independence' out of them :)

• Advertisement

You wouldn't want to leave their eggs in the nesting boxes for too long because they may peck at them and once they get the taste of the yolk they'll waste no time pecking through future eggs. They know a good thing when they get it. It hasn't happened to us yet but if it does some people recommend replacing the yolk with mustard and it should put them off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

jayboi wrote: »
    I was a chicken coop for sale out Jay-bees(The so called 'Amish Place') on the dunmore road the other day looked the job think it was nearer the 1000 euro mark but there were discounts on display items definatly worth a look tho.
    Here's a link to their website.
    http://www.ideal-woodcrafts.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deadman walking

i have hit a brick wall with my own attempts to build a chicken run.have house built since before christmas and decided two weeks ago to get moving on the whole chicken family.trouble is i can,t get a bloody roll of chicken wire as no store seems to stock it in rolls higher than 3ft and longer than 10mtrs:( i want the sixft high stuff,about 25 metres of it should do.it is really expensive too with a 25metre roll coming in at 70euro:eek:call me stubborn but i am just not willing to pay that kind of money for chicken wire:)the cockrel would be the only problem i could see, i am not getting one as i only want layers and broilers:)aside from that the neighbours should have no objections to you getting chickens:D

Deadman Walking have your tried one of the co-ops, Gaultier or Kilmeaden, I think I've seen it in all sorts of sizes in Gaultier.

As long as you don't have a rooster then I don't see you having any problem from your neighbours re the hens.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deadman walking

not planning on getting a rooster as i am only keeping chickens for eggs until next year anyway.need to build a bigger house and run for that so not at the moment.tried co-op in dvan and it is 85euro per roll there:eek:

We paid €60 per roll and it was 5' high, got it in Morris's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

deisemum wrote: »
    You wouldn't want to leave their eggs in the nesting boxes for too long because they may peck at them and once they get the taste of the yolk they'll waste no time pecking through future eggs. They know a good thing when they get it. It hasn't happened to us yet but if it does some people recommend replacing the yolk with mustard and it should put them off it.

The cannibals!!!

They would eat their own young?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Do the hens attract rats? Could not handle those gits.

molby wrote: »
    Do the hens attract rats? Could not handle those gits.

No they don't but if food is just left lying around then yes that could attract vermin.

I cannot look at a mouse let alone a rat, not even a dead one, they freak me right out of my tree and if they suddenly appear on tv I'm a blubbering wreck much to the amusement of my family so believe me if I thought hens would attract rats I wouldn't have them.

I've got 3 cats who thankfully haven't deposited any presents on my doorstep yet, I just hope my fiesty kitten doesn't start that carry on.

I reckon my hens would chase away any vermin that crossed their path, they chase wood pigeons if they come near.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Thanks.Might look into some feathered friends.

Advertisement