Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping chickens (for eggs)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

cococoady wrote: »
    Got 2 chicks today from Cardboardwindow and he also kindly have me a loan of a hen to look after the chicks who are just over a week old. Lovely little things they are. Can't think of the breed the chicks are tho haha
    One is a pure Polish Crested bantam, and the other is a Polish Crested - Silkie cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I got 3 rescue hens last night, they're scrawny but hopefully will improve big time soon. I kept them in a separate run from my own hens for about 2 hours last night then when it was dark just lifted them and put them in the hen house beside the other hens.

They're all out in the big run together but I'll be keeping an eye on them for the next few days so they don't get bullied while the pecking order is being adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

One is a pure Polish Crested bantam, and the other is a Polish Crested - Silkie cross.

Good man haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Good man haha

I can just see the other chickens now, damn polish comin in here and taking our jobs! lol

Did someone post here that you need to register the chickens with the council / government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Did someone post here that you need to register the chickens with the council / government?

I think that was pigs and the like, they need a livestock number, then again im not sure so dont quote me on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

You need to register alright with the Dept of Agriculture - the form is the 3rd from the bottom here:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/

My form has been sitting here beside me for the last few weeks, so this has been a reminder!

Yeah you do need to register, they don't come out and inspect them or anything, it's just so the Dept. can contact people if there's an outbreak of avian flu.

My 3 rescue hens seem to have settled in and are laying.

Cheers.

I got 4 more the weekend to add to the 2 I already have (1 chick died last week). Got a hen who is laying, a 7/8 week old chick and a couple of 2 week old chicks

Cheers.

I got 4 more the weekend to add to the 2 I already have (1 chick died last week). Got a hen who is laying, a 7/8 week old chick and a couple of 2 week old chicks

Are the new chicks being reared for the table or for laying?

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    Are the new chicks being reared for the table or for laying?

Laying. Why's that?

I'm considering getting a few eggs to hatch out and rear for the table. Just wondering if you were doing the same thing.

deisemum wrote: »
    I'm considering getting a few eggs to hatch out and rear for the table. Just wondering if you were doing the same thing.

Nah I'm the sort of person who wouldn't be able to do that. Plus the little one would kill me before I'd get a chance to kill a chicken haha

A few pics of our chickens

Edit: pics wouldn't load

Laying. Why's that?
    Laying eggs.

Laying eggs.

I said "Why's that" not "What's that" haha

I said "Why's that" not "What's that" haha
    Ha! Twas too early in the morning for me to be reading posts, never mind replying to them!! :o

Advertisement