Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Sharing - Gas & ESB Bills

Options
  • 17-04-2010 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

I am sharing a house with 2 others. We have a couple of unpaid bills (ESB+Gas). One guy quit the house last week - leaving his share of those 2 bills unpaid.

I rang the landlord and he said that he does not want to get involved.

The landlord would have got a deposit at the start from this guy.

Where do I stand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Who's name is the bill in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The bills are in the lardlords name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Landlord dealt separately with each individual and took deposits off them. Bills are in landlords name - then its between him and the person that left. YOU don't want to get involved ....he IS involved ;)
    He should not have given him his deposit back without checking that bills were paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Landlord dealt separately with each individual and took deposits off them. Bills are in landlords name - then its between him and the person that left. YOU don't want to get involved ....he IS involved ;)
    He should not have given him his deposit back without checking that bills were paid.
    Agreed!

Next time you're paying the bills just pay your share and leave the balance outstanding! hopefully the LL will see sense.

He is now has mentioned putting the bills in the names of the tennents.

They guy that moved out has sent me a couple of texts that he will drop in the money for the bills but he has not arrived yet.

I have no intention of paying his share.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Agreed!

Next time you're paying the bills just pay your share and leave the balance outstanding! hopefully the LL will see sense.

i agree with tenchi-fan you just pay your share of bill do not pay the outstanding balance that will be on the bill from the last unpaid one and yes if the landlords name is on the bill then he is responsible for the balance he should never have given deposit back in full me thinks he needs to learn a lesson here and the only way some of them do is by hitting them in their pockets
    as long as you pay your rent and your half of the bills you are doing nothing wrong

My 1/2 of utility bills was on the kitchen table for a month.

He rang me last week - I told him that I was not liable for the utility bills of others.

He gave me the money for the other half of the bills and said that he was selling the house & gave me a months notice.

All of his phone calls and hassle was upsetting.

He consistantly threatened to put the bills in my name while leaving the other guy off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

one to remember in the future a landlord can not put a bill in your name no company will let some one set up a credit account in another persons name

and thats crap about him selling the house especially when it was not your fault probably a bit dramatic on his behalf with the current market and all that good look with the moving and make sure you get your deposit back

Cork wrote: »
    He gave me the money for the other half of the bills and said that he was selling the house & gave me a months notice.

He consistantly threatened to put the bills in my name while leaving the other guy off.
    Sorry to hear this - but the guy was wrong. Same principal always applies - if you allow yourself to be trodden on once, then it would be something else the next time. You may have the hassle of finding a new place but better off in the long run.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I would guess that he's not selling the house and that he's only saying that to kick you out.

Where would the tenant stand legally?

• Advertisement

mathie wrote: »
    I would guess that he's not selling the house and that he's only saying that to kick you out.

Where would the tenant stand legally?
    If he's working from within the terms of whatever tenancy agreement is in place, then just move on. He will suffer also - but is smarting from a mistake that he made (he may or may not realise that it is his mistake - but thats his problem).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

He rang me last week - I told him that I was not liable for the utility bills of others.

You were still right to stand up for yourself even though he is being an asshole about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

He is now has mentioned putting the bills in the names of the tennents.

They guy that moved out has sent me a couple of texts that he will drop in the money for the bills but he has not arrived yet.

I have no intention of paying his share.

Haha, well if he does this then a new meter reading should be taken. You don't take on old bills as far as I know.

Don't pay anything you don't owe.

Selling the house? Good one. He can't sell the house unless he is giving it away.

I went 2 years like this with my landlord. I only paid my share of the bill, 3 people left the house and didn't pay anything towards the last coulple months bills. I didn't really care. Once you pay off some of the bill, the ESB won't cut you off. Maybe I was lucky? I don't know, but you are not liable for others, as you say. LL is a lazy fool for keeping the bills in his name.

Advertisement