Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To sell my canon 55-250mm lens or not?

• 17-04-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I have a canon 450d with kit 18-55mm lens and EFS 55-250mm lens.
    I recently purchased a 50D with an 18-200mm lens and am selling the 450d but would like advice.

What lens should I keep that are best:
    The 18-55 and 55-250mm lenses or the 18-200mm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Sell the three of them and save up the rest of the money for either the EF24-70mm 2.8L or EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

agree with oshead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Then he's kinda limiting himself to that range.
    Op..what kind of photography are you into?
    If it's close ups etc then do what the guys say..otherwise I'd hang onto at least one of the longer ones if you cant' afford to get one of the L versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I would say you'd have to look at the max aperture at both ends of the scale.
    You did forget to tell us what the max aperture is. (although I'd imagine many might know exactly which lenses you're talking about.. especially users of similar kit.)

The suggestion of selling them all & saving up for a faster lens isn't a bad one. I've got a reasonably fast 17-70mm, and a really sweet 70-200mm f2.8. I also have a 70-300mm f4-5.6 that I pretty much never use anymore even though it's a LOT smaller & lighter than the 70-200 f2.8.. it's just really worth it to have the extra speed & sharpness.
    blues2 wrote: »
    What lens should I keep that are best:
    The 18-55 and 55-250mm lenses or the 18-200mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry for not responding sooner. The lens are kit lens so not very fast. I would love to get some of the lenses mentioned here but cant afford them right now. Maybe Christmas, fingers crossed. I have sold the 450d.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Berkut wrote: »
    Then he's kinda limiting himself to that range.
    Op..what kind of photography are you into?
    If it's close ups etc then do what the guys say..otherwise I'd hang onto at least one of the longer ones if you cant' afford to get one of the L versions.

I would agree. I have a Tokina 12-24 and the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS, but am caught a bit for zoom. Am looking at the 18-200 IS.

Advertisement