Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand Snobbery

Options
  • 17-04-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

A months ago - I went nto a Shop and bought a great looking shirt. Great brand.

When I wash it - It shivels up and then it takes me ages to iron the thing.

Then, you can buy a shirt from a chain store like Pennys and it does not require ironing.

When you buy braded stuff - you think that you are getting quality & you pay a premium. But it is not always the case.

I have also found this with jeans.

Have others noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I can't say I've ever had quality clothing shrivel in the wash, following the instructions on the care label and not jamming it into a full machine tends to avoid this happening.
    But I have noticed that cheapo stuff usually don't have as good quality cloth, dye fades quickly, the stitching is weaker or not as attractive and buttons tend to fall off sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I buy cheap work trousers, t-shirts and jeans in Dunnes or Pennys and they last a few years. I'm happy enough with that. I'm not going to pay extra for a brand name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Got myself a lovely pair of jeans in Dunnes this morning for €9:)

Not uber trendy but definitely not cheapo looking and I can guarantee I'll be able to wear them this time next year. Mind you though a pair for the same price in pennies would be a different matter, with a lot of things like tshirts and the like there cheap does mean cheap for a reason.

Edit: I've found some ok stuff in tesco too, much of it good quality. I'd put it more closer to Dunnes stuff than pennies, although they are not as cheap as they could be on their clothes in tesco i feel.
    Only last week I was looking at something and almost bought it , when I though I could get something nearly the same in pennies at almost the same quality for a few € cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP what was the fabric content of the shirt?

Or do you rely on the makers label?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Two Man U shirts went into the same wash, one large boys other small mans.

Large Boys comes out fine, and Small Man size come out like I just cleaned the car with it.
    Both are genuine shirts bought in the same shop at the same time (feb/mar) and have both been washed approx same amount of times.

Anyone have the same issues?

• Advertisement
Advertisement