Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x13 "Faith" [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 17-04-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭

The Destiny arrives at a star system and the countdown clock doesn't activate. The crew discover a planet there that could meet all of their needs

What did you think of SGU 1x13 "Faith"? 51 votes

CH-YESS
    0% 0 votes
    We can turn left!
    21% 11 votes
    Well, I do like Kiwi
    56% 29 votes
    I wish I left this episode uncharted
    15% 8 votes
    Vomit!
    5% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I thought overall it was a decent episode. We did really need to get that stupid rift between civilians and military fixed up, and as much as I hate montage-type "... one month later" plot devices, I think this one worked.
    We have a new toy in the ship, reclaimed a few sections and done some repairs. We also have a mending of relationship between Rush and Young and an interesting new little drama with preggers Johansson.

Really didn't think I was going to enjoy this episode at all, but it could be a start to more interesting episodes in the near future and I did find myself enjoying it. 4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Liked that ep, good to see them claiming back a bit more of destiny. Looks like a large supply room was found with the "robot". Makes sense if it is a type of beefed up keno with manipulator arms. Would be handy for ship repair and planet exploration. No reason why they couldnt arm it too if thats the case.

At this stage I'd say its safe to say that the alien race from the first ep after the mid season break are desperate to get on destiny for a way to defend themselves from the planet builder race in this ep.

Story wise it makes a lot of sense, destiny crew caught in th middle in control of the deal breaker weapon... destiny. Possibilities of a story line like that make even more sense long term wise..... emergence of a larger galactic picture as the seasons go on.. the classic one powerful alien race....shaky aliences with once enemy races (blue guys).... a deeper purpose for destiny as they explore it more etc.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Liked that ep, good to see them claiming back a bit more of destiny. Looks like a large supply room was found with the "robot". Makes sense if it is a type of beefed up keno with manipulator arms. Would be handy for ship repair and planet exploration. No reason why they couldnt arm it too if thats the case.

At this stage I'd say its safe to say that the alien race from the first ep after the mid season break are desperate to get on destiny for a way to defend themselves from the planet builder race in this ep.

Story wise it makes a lot of sense, destiny crew caught in th middle in control of the deal breaker weapon... destiny. Possibilities of a story line like that make even more sense long term wise..... emergence of a larger galactic picture as the seasons go on.. the classic one powerful alien race....shaky aliences with once enemy races (blue guys).... a deeper purpose for destiny as they explore it more etc.
    Agreed. I'm very interested to know how/why they built that planet

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh believe me, you'll see evidence of these Forerunners again.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Thought the optimist/pessimist dynamic was hilarious... "we can turn left :D" ...haha, best line yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Pretty good episode. Thought we might get some more alien stuff but maybe next week.
    greyed wrote: »
    Thought the optimist/pessimist dynamic was hilarious... "we can turn left :D" ...haha, best line yet.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Am I the only one who is thinking the mysterious alien race is the Furlings?

Not too happy about the baby storyline cause bringing babies onto the ship just feels out of place. I hate babies in tv shows. Oh and people having affairs! :) Yeah hate both of those things.

I think they really wasted a shuttle craft by leaving it on the planet but maybe its a plot device so that the alien race can find it and track them or some schit like that. I have a very strong feeling that ultimately these aliens will return them to Earth. They made a big point of it in this episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

GSPfan wrote: »
    Not too happy about the baby storyline cause bringing babies onto the ship just feels out of place. I hate babies in tv shows. Oh and people having affairs! :) Yeah hate both of those things

That killed me in Atlantis. Teyla, and her stupid baby. Not to mention that in her few years with the crew there, she didn't learn to say can't, didn't, wouldn't, won't, instead I cannot, I did not, I would not, I will not. Urgh. Basic lazy sci-fi writers, to make someone seem alien, remove their ability to contract words - Spock did it, Data did it, even Seven and Tuvok did it.

Who knows. Its an interesting theory though.

I highly doubt they are Furlings.

I will say however its fascinating. Destiny is by its namesake on a Pre-Determined course. And the Ancients, Alterrans, Gate-Builders, picked the vector for a reason.

I may be thinking way too intently for Television here, but its possible these forerunners either had contact with the ancients or like a form of SETI, somewhere along the lines the Ancients detected something out there, or, the Forerunners had broadcasted a highly advanced signal, much like we try to broadcast ourselves to Intelligent Life that may be out there.

To quote Thor, perhaps the message was "Come Forth."

Do we know exactly how many people stayed behind on the planet?

11 was the count before TJ, Scott and Chloe returned to the ship (who didn't see that coming?) so we can assume the other 8 unknown characters forced on us in this episode decided to stay?

• Advertisement

OisinT wrote: »
    Do we know exactly how many people stayed behind on the planet?

11 was the count before TJ, Scott and Chloe returned to the ship (who didn't see that coming?) so we can assume the other 8 unknown characters forced on us in this episode decided to stay?
    i missed that part. as in it felt really ambiguous, as if they had actually come back with everyone and both shuttles. but i guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

a nice solid caracter and bridge building episode,

id say it would be great if it was the furlings that built the star and the planet, but if its uninhabited why build it, maybe we could have one of those dead alien races trying to recreate ther world like in SG-1, but instead of teraforming they have the tech to build a planet,

also does anyone think that lake looked like the one that maybourne and jack got stuck on in SG-1,

i think leaving the shuttle was a good bargaining chip, they simply dont have the resources to repair it fully anyway,

i think the baby will be a good thing, as long as they dont make it a plot device like in atlantis, and more like naomi wildman in voyager, (damn another voager comparisson ;)) anyone think TJ was sporting a nice starbuck look in this episode,

also it would be good if they actually explained how scott and chloe got back together, rather than they worked in the background,

also was wray getting into elis head in this episode,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Ah the musical montages are growing on me :)

Like how Rush & Young are kinda moving slowly towards being BMA's :rolleyes:
    If Lt. Johannsen does have her baby down the line, I can see it being kidnapped at least once every season SGU runs.

don ramo wrote: »
    also does anyone think that lake looked like the one that maybourne and jack got stuck on in SG-1,
    LA LA LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOUUUU >_<

Seriously though, its pretty clear they use the same outdoor locations. The lake/marshland was also used in Scorched Earth.

PortalThumb.jpg

They poke fun at this occasionally.

"I feel like we've been here, before."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Decent enough episode.

They didn't do a good job at showing the progression of time on the planet though. I would have thought everyone's clothes would be a little more tattered and they'd look a bit rough after a month of camping. I also could have done without the religion talk tbh, I always liked how SG1 never brought it up yet now we have people implying god put that planet there for them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

robby^5 wrote: »
    Decent enough episode.

They didn't do a good job at showing the progression of time on the planet though. I would have thought everyone's clothes would be a little more tattered and they'd look a bit rough after a month of camping. I also could have done without the religion talk tbh, I always liked how SG1 never brought it up yet now we have people implying god put that planet there for them :rolleyes:
    yeah thankfully those psychos were left behind, but if you think of it though, a lot of people with even mediocre religious beliefs would believe that the planet was put there for them, after all there deep in space with no viable way home, and suddenly a solar system appears out of nowhere, with a planet capable of sustaining them indefinately, and nobody else is on the planet, there didnt even seem to be wildlife,

a situation life that test anyones faith id say,

SG-1 Didnt really tackle a lot of the heavier subject matter. Yes, False Gods, etc. etc. you'd swear the producers were Atheist, then they do this.

Still when you look at the subject matter how else can you make this show interesting? Answer: tackle the meaning of life stuff? that ties into religious themes. Because if you dont do that you have a ship traveling from point A to B while it encounters random groups of aliens and occassionaly calls home to say Hi Mom. But then you would just have Star Trek Voyager.

Overheal wrote: »
    SG-1 Didnt really tackle a lot of the heavier subject matter. Yes, False Gods, etc. etc. you'd swear the producers were Atheist, then they do this.

Still when you look at the subject matter how else can you make this show interesting? Answer: tackle the meaning of life stuff? that ties into religious themes. Because if you dont do that you have a ship traveling from point A to B while it encounters random groups of aliens and occassionaly calls home to say Hi Mom. But then you would just have Star Trek Voyager.
    ...with less interesting characters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

OisinT wrote: »
    ...with less interesting characters

Hey! Lt. Boobs has ample amounts of firm, round, plump...personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I thought this was the best ep yet.

The story had me sucked in the whole time (except the preggers bit which I'm more or less indifferent to.)

Some funny lines too (Left turn, In the spirit of cooperation)

I'm very curious about who built the planet, and what the Giant glow in the dark monument was doing.

Music was pretty good too.

More episodes like this please. It's a very different direction from SG-1 and SGA but I feel this episode worked really well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I expected not to really like this but I thought they did a good job with a character episode here. It was a pretty good way to work through the repercussions of the insurrection in a peaceful setting and yet, at the same time, introduce a new mystery. The religious element was handled well too.
    robby^5 wrote: »
    They didn't do a good job at showing the progression of time on the planet though. I would have thought everyone's clothes would be a little more tattered and they'd look a bit rough after a month of camping.
    These are the same clothes they've been wearing since the show began - don't see why they'd suffer any more wear and tear on the ground than on the manky ship really, especially as they had easy access to running water.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Was a bit indifferent to this episode, I wish they had been a bit more clear about who stayed behind, maybe see them on the planet in the final scene.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I wish they had been a bit more clear about who stayed behind, maybe see them on the planet in the final scene.
    Yep, I thought we would - it was a bit odd not to. I do know it was nobody important as we saw all the regulars and the re-occurring cast come back to the Destiny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I actually think the baby spin may be a good story. Young will know he's the father soon enough. How protective will he become of TJ, and that weird scientist guy, will Young send him on the first dangerous mission.

Also really looking forward to finding more out about Greer.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

don ramo wrote: »
    a nice solid caracter and bridge building episode,

id say it would be great if it was the furlings that built the star and the planet, but if its uninhabited why build it, maybe we could have one of those dead alien races trying to recreate ther world like in SG-1, but instead of teraforming they have the tech to build a planet,

i think leaving the shuttle was a good bargaining chip, they simply dont have the resources to repair it fully anyway,

i think the baby will be a good thing, as long as they dont make it a plot device like in atlantis, and more like naomi wildman in voyager, (damn another voager comparisson ;)) anyone think TJ was sporting a nice starbuck look in this episode,

also it would be good if they actually explained how scott and chloe got back together, rather than they worked in the background,

also was wray getting into elis head in this episode,

I have a feeling the baby wont make it..TJ did say she wasnt getting enough to sustain her and the baby and she said she didnt want to bring it up on the ship...

I liked the episode..the guy preaching about the aliens on the planet reminded me a bit of Baltar though which annoyed me a little and I was expecting a bit more from the whole storyline..even just another episode..but hey..

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭extremehalo

Was it my imagination or where the shuttles different looking in this episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I liked the episode and they did a good job of sustaining the tension throughout, though I was a little disappointed by the lack of a pay-off at the end. They just left it a mystery, which I guess you gotta expect in these big arc series. Still the first three episodes since the break have been pretty good, solid sci-fi. Almost makes you think they ARE listening to us poor, ignored sci-fi fans.

As to the amount of people left behind. I don't think it was more than 3-5 (pretty much a death sentence imagine what would happen if even one or two fell sick?) Though I'm sure we will see them later in some form, transformed into vessels of evil/antagonism by the race that created the star system. Nice Big Concept Sci-fi there too. But yeah, with Chloe, TJ and Scott returning, along with ALL of the other military personal, that would just leave a handful of the civilian scientists to stay behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

hightower1 wrote: »

Destiny wouldn't be powerful enough to defend against whoever built that planet, they mention in the show that whoever it was, would be even more advanced than the ancients.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I enjoyed his episode, it progressed from the half-baked coup attempt[1] and handled well the positive aspects of faith in a trying sitution: I also thought the shuttles looked different from earlier episodes.

[1]Did any one of plottera read one of my all time favourites http://www.amazon.com/Coup-d%C3%89tat-Practical-Edward-Luttwak/dp/0674175476/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

Remember kids, intergalactic jebus loves you!:rolleyes:
    Decent enough ep with people questioning their small place in the big universe. We will see more of the people left on the world...if only their skin adorning the bodies of nasty monster aliens who are pissed off at space ramblers trespassing on neo eden.

Advertisement