Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of geting a bike dog leash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

You are best off asking over the tailsandtrails.ie website , Or ISDW on here is very well up to date on the subject(IMO you would be better off with an atena )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

There are a few attachments that go to the side of the bike like that, The Springer is one of the most popular ones here. There is also a Sidewalker, but a friend had a bad experience with that recently, a car forced her and her dog to jump into a field and she realised there was no way to release the dog in case of such an emergency, if the dog wasn't big and hadn't managed to jump, it would have been killed.

There is the sport of bikejoring, where the dog is attached to the front of the bike, wearing a harness and using a bungee lead. This way the dog is pulling the bike, but the cyclist is also pedalling, so its not too hard on the dog. As Crotalus says, I would recommend an antannae if you are going to do it, it keeps the lead up and away from the front wheel.

Heres a couple of pics of Tails 'n' Trails members bikejoring.

stepcoddbike.jpg

michelleandjake.jpg

carolinedolly.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Just looking to know from any dog people out there who have ever tried a kike dog leash?

I am thinking of geting one but afraid of wasting money as i imagine they may be dangerous?

http://www.amazon.com/SHIPPING-Lets-Go-Bicycle-20lb-48lb/dp/B001L5CMR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1271512422&sr=8-1
    Looks dangerous if the dog decides to bolt. Try using a standard lead with neck collar first, training the dog to run to inside (left) of you. This way dog feels safe from any cars, dog won't pull hard because of neck strain!!, and lead won't get caught in wheel. The trick is to hold the lead loosely around your fingers but not thumb, so if dog slows down suddenly, or bolts, you can take your left hand off the bars and stretch out your arm like a bungee spring effect, and if that was not enough slack, just release the lead. Most likely the released dog would look after itself anyway, but a bike being jerked suddenly sideways could leave you both with injuries.
    I have found the dog adapts very quickly to this.

Advertisement