Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Education whats it like??

Options
  • 17-04-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hello all im new to the boards.ie and need some info these question about the Institute of Education....

you see i want to do maybe medicine or science or biomedical after leaving cert currently in 5th year....got 400 in Christmas tests....

my school isn't doing much to help me do my best especially in English.... he just gives us work and doesn't tell what i should do in improving my English (HL):(

Q.1 so what can the Institute of Education do to help in English ??? do they just give notes ie examples of A1 questions and answers??? what do they do there different????

Q.2 i was thinking of going there for my 6th year is it worth it???

Q.3 i didnt do chemistry this year i want to change it but school timetable
    let me if i go to IOE will they cover everything in 1 year properly?? i do now bio physics math english german business and geography (what to change this subject)

Q.4 what is class size (approx)??? and duration???

Q.5 i tend to ask a lot of questions in class will the teachers answer them because from what i heard the place does not make you understand but learn notes just????

Q.6 are the people friendly no fights or anything ???

Q.7 I know that the Institute of Education provides lots of notes in each subject compared to other schools however,
    does this mean that we do not need to bring any text books for the subjects, what do i need to bring with me ? Also is there lockers provided for each student ?

Q.8 What lunch services does IOE provide??? my current school has hot lunch....

Q.9 I also would like to ask the institute offers you to make your own timetable and pick you own teachers how does this work? like 1st 2 weeks go to different teachers ??? and can you change teachers at any time???

Q.10 I write slower than other students, so I was wondering if the institute offers any kind of 'exam scribe' for all my exams ? (My current school does)

Q.11 Also i get help in maths and physics (higher level) one person to one person help during Irish class will the institute offer one person to one person help for these subjects ? is there any resource teacher? (My current school offers this)

OR

would you guys say because of this problem just come part time on Saturdays next year.

Q. 12 what is included in the fees?

please answer the questions guys i am i very motivated student willing to well in leaving cert.......thankyou:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Purchiz

I know the class sizes are very big and they are not very personal there.

Don't know the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

hello all im new to the boards.ie and need some info these question about the Institute of Education....

you see i want to do maybe medicine or science or biomedical after leaving cert currently in 5th year....got 400 in Christmas tests....

my school isn't doing much to help me do my best especially in English.... he just gives us work and doesn't tell what i should do in improving my English (HL):(

Q.1 so what can the Institute of Education do to help in English ??? do they just give notes ie examples of A1 questions and answers??? what do they do there different????
    You're English probably won't improve to a large extent. But, your exam technique will. That's what they focus on-getting the info into your head, best way to approach a question etc.

Q.2 i was thinking of going there for my 6th year is it worth it???
    Depends. If you study it'll be worth it. Otherwise you'll just end up with an average leaving cert and a truck load of notes at the bottom of your bag.

let me if i go to IOE will they cover everything in 1 year properly?? i do now bio physics math english german business and geography (what to change this subject)

Yup. The chem teacher is really really good. Test every Friday and finish everything with a little bit of time for revision.

Varies. Some of my classes have 20 but there's 70+ in my chem classes.

Q.5 i tend to ask a lot of questions in class will the teachers answer them because from what i heard the place does not make you understand but learn notes just????
    It does help you to understand. The teacher's LOVE when you ask questions because they're teaching the exact same class 7 or so times a day!.

All friendly:p

Q.7 I know that the Institute of Education provides lots of notes in each subject compared to other schools however,
    does this mean that we do not need to bring any text books for the subjects, what do i need to bring with me ? Also is there lockers provided for each student ?

I only have one book, for business, otherwise it's just notes.

No lockers.

Vending machines...but it is just off Grafton street so plenty of options.
    Q.9 I also would like to ask the institute offers you to make your own timetable and pick you own teachers how does this work? like 1st 2 weeks go to different teachers ??? and can you change teachers at any time???

Every teacher teaches 4-7 classes a day, the exact same class. It's sorta hard to explain but it's very flexible. Oh you make your own time table and you can change it at any time. I usually miss my first class a few times a week so I just take it later in the day.
    Q.10 I write slower than other students, so I was wondering if the institute offers any kind of 'exam scribe' for all my exams ? (My current school does)
    For the leaving cert they do anyway?

Q.11 Also i get help in maths and physics (higher level) one person to one person help during Irish class will the institute offer one person to one person help for these subjects ? is there any resource teacher? (My current school offers this)
    You won't get one to one by any means:rolleyes: There's a resource teacher yes.
    OR

would you guys say because of this problem just come part time on Saturdays next year.

Classes basically.

That took longer than I thought it would:p
    please answer the questions guys i am i very motivated student willing to well in leaving cert.......thankyou:)
    Oh my...long!. I'll answer in bold under your questions to make it easier and whatnot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure you get copies of all your educational psychologist reports to back up your claim to scribe entitlement in your new centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Are the actual Leaving Cert and mock fees covered in the cost?

Are the actual Leaving Cert and mock fees covered in the cost?
    Nope. What's even more annoying is that repeats have to pay 300 to do it a second time round! (I think it's 300 anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

What is different about English in the institute is that you will have 4 differant teachers and four hour long classes each week ie) a poetry class, an english language class(paper 1), a comparitive studies class and a drama class(Lear/ Macbeth/Hamlet - whatever the case may be). There is also a much greater emphasis on exam technique as theowen previously said. Essay exemplars will be given which are of a very high standard - from these you can take ideas to structure your own work, understand better essay planning etc.

.2 i was thinking of going there for my 6th year is it worth it???

Again, as previously mentioned, if you put the work in consistently over the course of the year I think the Institute is well worth it. One advantage that I found was that if you are out sick at any point it is very easy to catch up with the aid of class notes.

At close on seven grand for the year it is very expensive, but if your folks can afford it, you think it is the right choice for you AND you are willing to do alot of hard work then I think it is worth it. Just my 2c anyway.

Yes, you will cover the whole leaving cert course within the year at the institute (goes for all subjects). If you want to keep up all your other subjects you can take Chemistry as an 8th, or you can drop one of your subjects to take it up and just do the 7.

Class Size - Well this one varies a lot, depending on the subject, teacher, and time that you choose. My class sizes vary from 12 or so (during a 12.30 biology class) to about 120 for my English language class.

Class duration is generally 55 mins long, starting on the half hour and finishing at 25 past to allow you time to get to your next class.

In case you did not know class is mandatory from 9.30 to 3.30 each day, ie) you must me present in class or in a timetabled study period, with the exception of an hour for lunch.

Teachers will answer any question you ask them, if you are not satisfied with the answer given they will also speak to you after class to help explain further. I have only had positive experiences of this and my teachers have always been more than happy to help where they can including correcting extra work etc.

I came in late to the year (started in November) and I found people really friendly, willing to help when I couldn't understand my timetable at first etc. With around 900/1000 students in the year it can seem daunting at first but people are really nice and you'll make friends in no time :) I havn't seen or heard of any fights anyway, mostly people have more important things to be doing.

In nearly all of the classes books are not required with the exception of novels, plays etc. in English and a few others. However you will be given a book list at the start of the year of recommended text books for reference and study/ extra questions etc.

There are lunch rooms in the school provided for students who bring their own food to school. There is also a cafe/deli at the back of the school called Gerards which has a small hot counter and does soups, panini's, wraps, sandwiches, baguettes, soup, pasta salads etc. Ready made or to order. They also sell the usual chocolate, crisps, sweets, drinks, pastries. (god I sound like an advert:o:p)

Explained pretty well by theowen above. Yes you can change your teachers at any time if you have a problem. (within reason obviously you can go changing every week)

You would definitely get one for the LC, not for class or Christmas exams I wouldn't think though.

I doubt you will get one-to-one help but some teachers run tutorial classes once/twice a week for this those that want some extra help. Generally the numbers are small enough and you will get the attention and assistance you need.

There is a resource teacher within the school AFAIK, you should maybe contact the school directly to get details on this though as I'm afraid I don't know much about the services they provide.

I'm fairly sure that day students get a discounts off Saturday grinds and revision/crash courses during midterms etc. which might help a bit if this is the option you go with.

One problem you might face though is that not all of the full-time teachers do the Saturday grinds so you could be with a different teacher altogether with different methods/approaches that could confuse you further if you are already struggling. This could also be of benefit, depending on how you look at it.

Included in the fees is tuition for the year, all notes and mock orals in some cases. You will have to pay separately for the actual leaving cert exam and mock exams (this year very reasonable compared to other schools at €5 per paper).

Best of luck with making a decision and the exams themselves in advance for next year. If you have any further questions feel free to PM me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Q.11 Also i get help in maths and physics (higher level) one person to one person help during Irish class will the institute offer one person to one person help for these subjects? is there any resource teacher? (My current school offers this)

You've asked questions about resource and a scribe, so I presume you have a psychologist's report and are entitled to a reasonable accommodation in the exam i.e. a scribe. You'd need to decide where you are actually going to sit the LC - in the IoE or in another school. It is your centre who organises the scribe, so you'd need to make sure they know in plenty of time and have all the info.

Tbh, OP, when it comes to resource hours, extra help and reasonable accommodations, state secondary schools know what they're doing, have to provide the resources, have a duty of care and aren't simply trying to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

I just attend grinds there!.. But it is as great as it is made out to be. The teachers are unbelievable. I go to geography grinds cause I want my A1 and the notes make it so easy yet an A1 standard. Mr.Doran, my geo teacher is brilliant!!! Saw him in a paper the other day!

Ms.Kelly - for Ordinary maths, just started after the mocks cause I got a C and wanted to go over the course again like, shes brilliant! Uses Johnny Depp a lot in are maths equations.. "Brian Cowen is to the left, Johnny Depp is to the right! So of course we want to go to the right!"

Its a great school and well worth it. Only problem is I was in a french class and changed to maths cause the french class was wayyyyyy to big!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 educationhelp

Q.13 um yea couple more questions is if you fail like one test i heard you get kicked out of the institute is this true???

Q.14 does the Evening Saturday - Leaving Certificate course cover the whole course in that subject i.e. i want to do chemistry there will it cover the whole course in one year thats the only subject i regret not picking you know...???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I have a couple of questions to ask too.

How do they manage to cover the entire two year course in one year? I just can't get my head around it.
    Is the 6th year course mainly for people repeating or does it cover everything enough for people sitting the LC for the first time?
    What are science/home ec/music practicals like? Are they even done?
    Would I be totally insane to pick up geography without having studied it in 5th year? I'd be doing some of the course myself over the summer, but would it be too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I was thinking about doing the leaving cert in the IOE but I needed a bit of help with a few things and it has a reputation of not being particuraly helpful in that regard. Other than that, it is helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Q.13 um yea couple more questions is if you fail like one test i heard you get kicked out of the institute is this true???

Q.14 does the Evening Saturday - Leaving Certificate course cover the whole course in that subject i.e. i want to do chemistry there will it cover the whole course in one year thats the only subject i regret not picking you know...???

Lola has written out an extensive and comprehensive insight into the IOE-you might want to thank her, and TheOwen as well.

Aoifums wrote: »
    I have a couple of questions to ask too.

How do they manage to cover the entire two year course in one year? I just can't get my head around it.
    Is the 6th year course mainly for people repeating or does it cover everything enough for people sitting the LC for the first time?
    What are science/home ec/music practicals like? Are they even done?
    Would I be totally insane to pick up geography without having studied it in 5th year? I'd be doing some of the course myself over the summer, but would it be too much?
    Howdy. Well, the teachers never get distracted by misbehaving students so that helps. Otherwise, I'm not sure really, but they get through everything well.

I do Chemistry and Biology. For both subjects, you do one class a week for a few weeks. Not sure about home ect but I'm sure it's similar.

Hmmm I wanted to do Geography at the start of the year but I wasn't allowed. I think it's one of the poorest A rated subjects in the school. If you can, do Ag Science. The course is finished by February and now we're going over everything again. Anything else?

thanks theowen and Lola92 for your helpful comments for helping me in making a desion for next year!

and if i have more questions i will ask if thats alright guys.....

thanks anyway

oh sorry i guys i just keep getting questions to ask.....

sorry for asking too much....

Q. my school gives me lots of homework and less study work as a result my grades are bad is the Institute any different? is there lots of homework given or more to study the notes????

Q. whats after school study like there????

Q. i know you answered this question but i just cant get around the fact that the Institute finishes all the course in one year,how do they do it???:confused:

i am really afraid that people will make fun of me due to the big classes and also the fact that i go to resource ?? also i know no one from there that really is daunting for me any help please:(

anyway sorry for being annoying people..... and please reply

how to do Thanks from: its under some posts ????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Q. my school gives me lots of homework and less study work as a result my grades are bad is the Institute any different? is there lots of homework given or more to study the notes????
    Homework IS study. Homework is designed as a review of what you did in school and to develop your understanding of the topic given. On a purely technical basis, an hour's homework is an hour of study.
    It's free, as far as I know. But then again I think it's included in the fees.

Q. i know you answered this question but i just cant get around the fact that the Institute finishes all the course in one year,how do they do it???
    I'm doing grinds there on saturdays, and they do that using notes which contain a condensed version of the syllabus, whilst trying to leave as little as possible out. The teachers also expect their students to do a fair bit of the work at home.

I've answered your questions in bold. Hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

The study hall is open from 8am to 8pm on weekdays and you can come and go as you please, its supervised and so you don't get any messing or anything there and can get a lot of work done. Study is also open on saturday mornings till 2 and Sundays from 12 to 6. You don't have to pay anything for study, its included in the fees.
    i am really afraid that people will make fun of me due to the big classes and also the fact that i go to resource ?? also i know no one from there that really is daunting for me any help please:(

Don't be worried at all, seriously there is a really nice atmosphere in the place. There's a huge mix of people from a wide range of abilities, I honestly don't think you going to resource would ever be an issue!
    Don't worry about being new, about half of the 6th years will be new to the school and won't know anyone either, it sounds ridiculous but you really do make friends quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Its the best school in Ireland IMO. The teachers are brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

kildare9 wrote: »
    Its the best school in Ireland IMO. The teachers are brilliant

It's not a school tbh.....Doesnt provide much in the way of an actual education, just makes you learn stuff off.

Fad wrote: »
    It's not a school tbh.....Doesnt provide much in the way of an actual education, just makes you learn stuff off.
    Bit harsh. The majority of my teachers do actually teach, ask questions, stay behind after class to answer questions etc.

• Advertisement

theowen wrote: »
    I do Chemistry and Biology. For both subjects, you do one class a week for a few weeks. Not sure about home ect but I'm sure it's similar.

Sorry, do you mean that you have one class of practicals a week for a few weeks? :o

Do teachers treat you like adults?

Is there much disipline? Do you get in trouble or is it a "you want to be here, so you do the work" environment?

On the application form, it says something about significant periods of absences. How long do they mean? One week? Two? Three?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Bit harsh. The majority of my teachers do actually teach, ask questions, stay behind after class to answer questions etc.

Not what I'm getting at, it seems to be devoid of any pastoral care or any real element outside of producing high marks.

Sure it has career guidance counsellors, but only out of necessity.

I'm by no means against the institute, I wish I went there for 6th year sometimes, but to call it a school just isnt right.

Fad wrote: »
    Not what I'm getting at, it seems to be devoid of any pastoral care or any real element outside of producing high marks.

They have to provide more support than my current school. There's a "chaplain" who says prayers at our assembly and teaches SPHE to first years. That's about it.
    Any career guidance classes we get, we spend in the computer room doing quizes. I don't need to spend 20 minutes on a test to tell me I'm an introvert, it's kind of obvious! She's also slightly crazy and keeps trying to make my friend do a business course, even though she's never taken business as a subject.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does anyone know what percentage of students attending the Institute would come under the category of special needs?
    I must say I'm surprised to hear the Institute has supports for students with special needs. When they say 'resource' teacher, do they actually mean someone qualified in special needs teaching? Do such children (or probably their parents) have to pay extra for the extra resources they use?

spurious wrote: »
    Does anyone know what percentage of students attending the Institute would come under the category of special needs?
    I must say I'm surprised to hear the Institute has supports for students with special needs. When they say 'resource' teacher, do they actually mean someone qualified in special needs teaching? Do such children (or probably their parents) have to pay extra for the extra resources they use?
    I'm not sure, but I've seen students in her room for an hour and more. It's free, she's only in for 2 days a week though.

I'm not sure, but I've seen students in her room for an hour and more. It's free, she's only in for 2 days a week though.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like she's just there as an extra help on an individual basis rather than the place having an overall special needs policy and whole school approach. Still though, every little helps.

Sorry, do you mean that you have one class of practicals a week for a few weeks? :o

Do teachers treat you like adults?

Is there much disipline? Do you get in trouble or is it a "you want to be here, so you do the work" environment?

On the application form, it says something about significant periods of absences. How long do they mean? One week? Two? Three?
    Say for Biology, you'll do one hour a week of practicals. That will continue for a few weeks until all of the experiments are covered. I think that makes sense?:confused::p

Well, yeah. You don't really have to ask to go to the toilet or anything like that.

Not much discipline no. Some lads got in a fight before and they were just told not to do it again. Plus, I had 40 or so lates last term and nothing happened.

What do you mean by that? Have you missed a lot of school before is it? I don't remember that:rolleyes: You can just ring them sure, they've like 7 secretaries:p

A friend of mine is convinced you can't sit your actual LC exams in the Institute. This is just a rumour, right?

I really want to hear from anyone who's doing Home Ec, how do you do practical work for the journals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

A friend of mine is convinced you can't sit your actual LC exams in the Institute. This is just a rumour, right?

I really want to hear from anyone who's doing Home Ec, how do you do practical work for the journals?

Nope, you definitely can sit the exams in the school, although the recommend for people that have to travel a long distance in that the do it locally if possible, it completely up to the students though.

And regards home ec. practicals there is a home ec, kitchen in the school for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

This school must be for posh kids. It sounds posh. Iva actually heard stories about it Tge note s are meant to be dear on eBay. I wish I meant there.

Advertisement