Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Qatar point to Pedrosa losing his alien status?

• 17-04-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

I was rewatching the Qatar MotoGP a few days ago and was startled by Dani Pedrosa's race. I decided to look into his pace in a bit more detail and see if there was any reason for his poor performance.

I know he has been complaining about the handling of his bike all winter but Qatar showed he actually had somewhat decent race pace but only for a very limited period of the race.

http://stevieenglishblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/what-caused-dani-pedrosas-woes-in-qatar.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

frostie500 wrote: »
    I was rewatching the Qatar MotoGP a few days ago and was startled by Dani Pedrosa's race. I decided to look into his pace in a bit more detail and see if there was any reason for his poor performance.

I know he has been complaining about the handling of his bike all winter but Qatar showed he actually had somewhat decent race pace but only for a very limited period of the race.

http://stevieenglishblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/what-caused-dani-pedrosas-woes-in-qatar.html

Could his brief bit of pace then lack of it come from having to overwork the tyres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

amacachi wrote: »
    Could his brief bit of pace then lack of it come from having to overwork the tyres?

Yeah I think his problem-as much as his belief that the bike is ill suited to him-is that he didn't set the bike up well during practice. In the link I compared his practice strategy to satellite Honda rider Randy de Puniet who in first practice did 15 flying laps in a single stint and seemed to have a much better grasp on how the tyres and bike changed during the race and I think if Pedrosa stands a chance of getting on top of this bike he will need to use a similar strategy in future rounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Yeah I think his problem-as much as his belief that the bike is ill suited to him-is that he didn't set the bike up well during practice. In the link I compared his practice strategy to satellite Honda rider Randy de Puniet who in first practice did 15 flying laps in a single stint and seemed to have a much better grasp on how the tyres and bike changed during the race and I think if Pedrosa stands a chance of getting on top of this bike he will need to use a similar strategy in future rounds

I only keep half an eye on the MotoGP, so excuse any stupid questions please. Did Danny have problems in the practice that stopped him running more? If not it sounds like the bike isn't great and he's either sick of trying to improve it or he's just being a little bitch.

amacachi wrote: »
    I only keep half an eye on the MotoGP, so excuse any stupid questions please. Did Danny have problems in the practice that stopped him running more? If not it sounds like the bike isn't great and he's either sick of trying to improve it or he's just being a little bitch.

You should keep more of an eye on it this year, I grew up as a massive F1 fan-still am obviously-but over the last ten years MotoGP has become an exceptionally exciting series in all three classes, and as I said in another thread casual fans should ask questions so they build up more of a knowledge etc. and in no way are what your'e asking stupid questions.

He didn't have any problems at all in practice-or in testing for that matter- and this is actually his first season in about four years where he isnt injured starting the year. The bike changed from last year and have tried to focus on the corner entry as being the pivotal area of improvement. Pedrosa has claimed that he now lacks stability at all times but his teammate has had no issues and flew in Qatar. I doubt it's a case of lack of motivation etc but a world class rider-and Pedrosa is a triple world champion-should be able to dominate a team and lead the development. In the past Dani hasn't been vocal in how the direction he wants the bike developed and now I think the results of his indifference are starting to show to an extent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

i think he sets up for the start of the race to try get away ,but doesnt consider the last part of the race when everything starts to wear down .

seems this happens alot with pedrossa,one of the best off the start line but then fades away after a few laps.although he had some good ones last year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

I just don't think he's that good. Seems to be a moan a lot. Makes excuses all the time. Never smiles. I just don't like him. He's not a likeable character.

Also, I don't think he will EVER win a Moto GP world championship regardless of what bike he rides. When his contract is up at the end of the year, I can't see him staying on a top factory bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I agree. I don't think Pedroza will ever win the Moto GP world title.
    If he was ever in the running for a title that time is gone now with Stoner and Lorenzo in the field.

All the top riders' contracts are up at the end of the year. Watching the qualifying session for Jerez, Toby said that Pedrosa only signed a 1 year deal with Honda for this year as there was no Yamaha seats available!!

In reality, why would Yamaha want him. They have 4 fantastic riders already and if the Yam turns out to be a championship winning bike this year, why would they want to move!

Edwards is consistant and would probably bite their arm off for a renewal of contract.
    Spies is locked in for another year (I think)
    Lorenzo could well move to whoever offers him the most money (I just get that feeling off him)
    Rossi is an unknown really, could he leave the championship (doubtful), could he leave Yamaha for another team for a challenge, also doubtful as where would he go:

Honda..... eh, no,
    Suzuki, too much of a challenge even for Rossi,
    Ducati, possibly but really cannot see it.
    If Rossi stay's for another contract, it will most likely be with Yamaha again.

But if Lorenzo leaves for money and/or Edwards ain't renewed, wouldn't Yamaha rather go for an up and coming rider over Pedrosa. Bautista, Aoyama, Dovi, Simoncelli all spring to mind. And that's without even looking to superbikes for talent.

In saying that ^^^^ the little sh1t just went and put it on pole!!!

Damn you Pedrosa.... Damn you to HELL!!!

Magown3 wrote: »
    All the top riders' contracts are up at the end of the year. Watching the qualifying session for Jerez, Toby said that Pedrosa only signed a 1 year deal with Honda for this year as there was no Yamaha seats available!!

In reality, why would Yamaha want him. They have 4 fantastic riders already and if the Yam turns out to be a championship winning bike this year, why would they want to move!

Rossi is an unknown really, could he leave the championship (doubtful), could he leave Yamaha for another team for a challenge, also doubtful as where would he go:

Spies' contract is also up for renewal-he signed a two year factory yamaha contract in 2008 to leave AMA and join WSB for two years, when he won the title they decided to move him to MotoGP. With no works rides available they sent him to Tech 3 but Yamaha pay his wages not Tech 3.

This is the hub of the problem for Yamaha:massive wage bills with riders. Last year they had Rossi on huge money, Lorenzo, Spies and Cal Crutchlow all earning big money. Three of these riders won their titles so there was big bonuses paid as well. Yamaha lost record amounts in the last financial year-the sale of Japanese superbikes have fallen dramatically in the last two years. As a result the company are feeling the pinch dramatically and they will have to cut down their wage bills next year.

Where does that leave Lorenzo and Rossi as their top MotoGP riders? They will be able to keep one but in all liklihood they can't keep both and pay them the wages they feel they deserve so it will be one of them and Spies as a factory rider next season.

If Rossi is going to leave the team Ducati is his only option but I can't see them letting Stoner leave and lets be honest it's damn near impossible seeing them as teammates. I cant see Rossi going to Honda but, and I know this is from way out there, what about Rossi and Jerry Burgees in a single bike team(ala Nastro Azzura Honda team.) If any rider can go to a company and get sponsorship its Rossi, Yamaha keep him on their bike and Rossi gets paid. Win win, as I said its tough to see it happening but when you hear the reports coming from Japan it's impossible seeing Yamaha keeping all three riders any other way.

• Advertisement

Spies' contract is also up for renewal-he signed a two year factory yamaha contract in 2008 to leave AMA and join WSB for two years, when he won the title they decided to move him to MotoGP. With no works rides available they sent him to Tech 3 but Yamaha pay his wages not Tech 3.

This is the hub of the problem for Yamaha:massive wage bills with riders. Last year they had Rossi on huge money, Lorenzo, Spies and Cal Crutchlow all earning big money. Three of these riders won their titles so there was big bonuses paid as well. Yamaha lost record amounts in the last financial year-the sale of Japanese superbikes have fallen dramatically in the last two years. As a result the company are feeling the pinch dramatically and they will have to cut down their wage bills next year.

Where does that leave Lorenzo and Rossi as their top MotoGP riders? They will be able to keep one but in all liklihood they can't keep both and pay them the wages they feel they deserve so it will be one of them and Spies as a factory rider next season.

If Rossi is going to leave the team Ducati is his only option but I can't see them letting Stoner leave and lets be honest it's damn near impossible seeing them as teammates. I cant see Rossi going to Honda but, and I know this is from way out there, what about Rossi and Jerry Burgees in a single bike team(ala Nastro Azzura Honda team.) If any rider can go to a company and get sponsorship its Rossi, Yamaha keep him on their bike and Rossi gets paid. Win win, as I said its tough to see it happening but when you hear the reports coming from Japan it's impossible seeing Yamaha keeping all three riders any other way.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/159628/1/stoner_to_honda_a_done_deal.html

Nothing confirmed but possibly Stoner to Honda and Rossi to Ducati!

Advertisement