Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom outgoing email settings

• 17-04-2010 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi there,

I will b spending allot of time over seas, and will be using various internet service providers .... using WiFi hotspots etc., and hotel internet networks etc.

I have no problem receiving emails using my eircom.net email account through Windows Mail (vista), but sending email's does not work. I am aware that I can log on and use webmail, like a hotmail account etc., but I use my PC for work purposes and need to be able to file and filter emails though windows mail etc.

Is there a specific outgoing email (SMTP) address that I should use?

Many thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

mail1.eircom.net IIRC same as incomming

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you have to either use
    1) The SMTP of whatever network you connect with,
    or
    2) Setup a VPN to home (an old PC or some Routers can be VPN servers), connect to network at Home via VPN and then use smtp.eircom.net. This also means when using a WiFi hotspot etc your email is all encrypted.

3) if using Web Mail, only SEND by it and cc to your own email. (eircom is also accessible via webmail). Then you get a sent copy on Windows mail/ Thunderbird or whatever...

For a while I could use eircom SMTP by logon outside of eircom network. Then they blocked that too (anti spam relay).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭matsil

watty wrote: »
    you have to either use
    ....if using Web Mail, only SEND by it and cc to your own email. (eircom is also accessible via webmail). Then you get a sent copy on Windows mail/ Thunderbird or whatever...
    (anti spam relay).

Thanks for the reply.

I thought of this too, but the thing is, once I "receive" the mail and it is downloaded to my laptop, I cannot then "reply" to that email - so I have to log onto the webmail, and start a new email - so I loose the chain of preceding mails ....... sometimes a discussion with a client could be several mails long, and it is sometimes important to be able to include the chain in a reply.... if you see what I mean.

Its a nuisance that there just isn't a simple setting that can be used..... business people travelling overseas must find this very annoying, on an ongoing basis!

Typical Irish way of going about things - do everything as awkward as possible and then you're supposed to neel in prayer and thanks for the privelige of using the service your paying for!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All ISPs do it now.

Buisness people use (or should) VPN.

Email passwords & text is all in clear. Easy to sniff on wifi.
    also an unscruplous WiFi HotSpot operator can even do man-in-middle attack / DNS poisening and steal all your banking logon etc, even https/ssl.

VPN is more protection. All your email and browsing is then via your home ISP connection and all stuff between you and home via the WiFi hotspot is encrypted on the VPN.

I recommend OpenVPN (can run server for it on a Windows PC or Linux, or some routers). But even MS built-in VPN solves your email problem and is better than nothing.

watty wrote: »
    All ISPs do it now.

Buisness people use (or should) VPN.

Email passwords & text is all in clear. Easy to sniff on wifi.
    also an unscruplous WiFi HotSpot operator can even do man-in-middle attack / DNS poisening and steal all your banking logon etc, even https/ssl.

VPN is more protection. All your email and browsing is then via your home ISP connection and all stuff between you and home via the WiFi hotspot is encrypted on the VPN.

I recommend OpenVPN (can run server for it on a Windows PC or Linux, or some routers). But even MS built-in VPN solves your email problem and is better than nothing.

Thanks Watty - I guess I am just going to have to learn to live with the inconvenience then :(

cheers.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You could use an account that uses imap rather than pop. In this way your email is preserved on the server and you dont lose the threads when you access via email.

A gmail account will let you do this for example.

dub45 wrote: »
    You could use an account that uses imap rather than pop. In this way your email is preserved on the server and you dont lose the threads when you access via email.

A gmail account will let you do this for example.

This might be a solution. Could my eircom account be set up to forward emails to my "new" gmail account, such that I would not have to maintain two accounts? Can gmail be set up in windows mail?

Thanks for your input.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Try mail.iol.ie

This works for me....mostly!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

You can set up a Gmail account to import mail from POP3 e-mail accounts

details here - http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=21289

You can then access your gmail using an IMAP client so all the mail is kept on the server

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78799

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jer1ch0

IMAP appears to be available to NEW Eircom customers only.
    So, if like me, you were originally with them but switched to another isp (Vodafone) you are then an OLD Eircom customer - therefore basically you can bugger off if you want IMAP. Typical Eircom. Vodafone weren't much more helpful either. They would only supply an outgoing server. Eircom basically says if you want an incomming server you gotta come back to us.
    And thats why I'll go for Gmail who afaik do support IMAP.
    Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

jer1ch0 wrote: »
    IMAP appears to be available to NEW Eircom customers only.
    So, if like me, you were originally with them but switched to another isp (Vodafone) you are then an OLD Eircom customer - therefore basically you can bugger off if you want IMAP. Typical Eircom. Vodafone weren't much more helpful either. They would only supply an outgoing server. Eircom basically says if you want an incomming server you gotta come back to us.
    And thats why I'll go for Gmail who afaik do support IMAP.
    Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

The fact is you are an ex Eircom customer so why should they or indeed any isp provide a service for a "customer" who is GONE?

Advertisement