Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mums???? Friends?? Anyone?

Options
  • 17-04-2010 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi!
    My name is Yardana and I am quite new to this area. I moved here just a few weeks ago with my husband from Denmark, but I am originally from USA and he is from Cornwall (it's been a long and very crazy story-I'll be happy to tell you if you like). My family is rooted with the Irish but due to the passing of the original migrants I don't know if there are any remaining family members here-so I don't know anyone here but my husband. He is wonderful and I love him to bits but I would really enjoy to connect with some others too. I am 10 weeks pregnant with 1st baby and it would be great to connect with some other mums/mums-to-be/parents-to-be but anyone local and with a good heart would be nice, someone who would like to take leisurely walks and share good stories and the likes. A bit about me...I'm 22 years old, I absolutely adore spiders (so if you don't we probably won't get on well!) :pac: and I'm ...well traveled! I come with lots of interesting stories, odd anecdotes, corny jokes and arbitrary information. Introduce yourself? I live in Dublin 15 area, close to Phoenix park.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hi there, welcome to D15 and the D15 forum. Enjoy the forum, the regulars are very friendly and will be happy to answer any questions you have about the area. Congratulations on your impending arrival, you may also find the Pregnancy Forum useful too as there are plenty of other expectant mothers posting there, and I believe they organise the occasional meet-up too.

Btw, I've removed the formatting from your post, we generally just prefer the default font, it's a bit easier on the eyes. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hi Carrot_flowers, and welcome to D15!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hi Carrot Flowers!

Welcome to D15 and the D15 forum.

I would suggest you check out Blanchardstown Library - they have a thread with all upcoming events at the top of this forum - They might have groups for mother and babies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I was about to suggest the library too!! After that I would check with the local Health centre in Roselawn - beside Tesco - they may have a pregnancy/mom's group.

Do you have any hobbies? That could be a springboard. Also check notice boards in the likes of the post offices and church porches (don't worry about being part of the church ... ). Hopefully you could find a morning class or something to open a few door to you.

I know myself I only really started to meet new people when the children started playschools and the like .. . and in hindsight I am sorry I did not try out the mother and toddler groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭carrot_flowers

Hi everybody :)
    Thank you for your warm replies. Those are indeed some good suggestions, I hadn't thought of it before. Go google maps!

• Advertisement

BTW, a bit off topic...
    and forgive me if this is a bit of a silly Q but I am wondering if there is anywhere, like a park or anything in the Dublin area with public BBQ pits? It's just that, in the states, almost every single public park that you go to has public bbq pits, and they are also scattered around areas where people like to camp and go to the lake and, just...well you can find one pretty much no matter where you are. :P Have been craving some grill and was wondering if there are any spots. If not, is there any place that it's legal to have a (obviously controlled) fire outside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We don't have pits like that over here.
    I know a few people who bring thier own backyard portable BBQ to the pheniox park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

You can bring portable grills with you to most parks, but some park wardens can be more picky than others. Once you're clean & tiday you should be OK.

As well as the pheonix park beside you, Newgrove House and Ardgillan Castle are great destinations for a BBQ day out.

• Company Representative Posts: 328 Verified rep BlanchLibrary

Hi Carrott Flowers,

Delighted to see so many posters point you towards Blanchardstown Library!

For your information, Two parent & Toddler Groups meet in Blanchardstown Library. One is on Tuesday morning @ 11am and the other is on Wednesday morning @ 11am.

We also have a Conversation Group that meets every Wednesday evening at 7pm. This group is made up of lots of people of varying ages and nationalities.

We would also be delighted if you joined the Library as a member. Library membership is free of charge and 10 items can be borrowed on an Adult Library Card. We lend Books, DVDs, CDs and even framed pictures! Please bring proof of address (utility bill, etc.) when joining the Library.

We have a large selection of books relating to pregnancy which may be of interest to you!

All event in the Library are Free of Charge and open to all (even if you are not a member of the Library) and are listed on the Fingal County Council Website
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Library/WhatsOn/

Hope this info helps!

Blanchardstown Library

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lilbitz440

Hi, La Leche League hold an informal coffee morning in Betelnut Cafe in Draiocht in Blanch Centre the first Wednesday of every month from 10.30am for pregnant and breastfeeding women. You are most welcome to join us there. As you've probably noticed the breastfeeding rates in Ireland aren't nearly as good as in Denmark and if you plan to breastfeed your baby it is good to have a network of support around you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

BTW, a bit off topic...
    and forgive me if this is a bit of a silly Q but I am wondering if there is anywhere, like a park or anything in the Dublin area with public BBQ pits? It's just that, in the states, almost every single public park that you go to has public bbq pits, and they are also scattered around areas where people like to camp and go to the lake and, just...well you can find one pretty much no matter where you are. :P Have been craving some grill and was wondering if there are any spots. If not, is there any place that it's legal to have a (obviously controlled) fire outside?

Hi carrot_flowers,

The Phoenix park has a part with benches in it where ppl bring their bbqs to, its on the blocked off road near the papel cross - if i can get exact directs ill post it - or maybe someone else might know on the thread?

congrats on your pregnancy :D

alibaba12 wrote: »
    Hi carrot_flowers,

The Phoenix park has a part with benches in it where ppl bring their bbqs to, its on the blocked off road near the papel cross - if i can get exact directs ill post it - or maybe someone else might know on the thread?

congrats on your pregnancy :D

Thank you :o

Advertisement