Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Always dreaming about my nana

• 17-04-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

My nana passed a few months ago, and I miss her alot. The strange thing is, since she died, I am constantly having dreams about her. Would anyone have any idea, or maybe why I keep dreaming about her?
    I'm sorry in advance if this is a silly question :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

Would anyone have any insights into this? I was talking to my sister, and the vast majority of you will not believe me, but she says she has been dreaming about Nana over the past few months as well. I miss my Nana over the past few months so much, and think about her alot and am continuing to dream about her. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any idea or insight into this, or what it might mean? Even though she died a few months ago, I guess I am still grieving. Would anyone have any insights into my dreams, thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Dreams are often manifestations of the conscious mind. Basically, we carry our thoughts from our waking moments into sleep. For example, if I play a computer game long enough, I dream of that game. If you are thinking of your nan throughout the day, it's not surprising that you should dream of her.

It's also believed though, that dreams give life to our unconscious minds. They express our subliminal thoughts. In other words, there are more things on your mind at a given moment than you are consciously aware of, and dreams express these hidden thoughts. That's probably why you dream of your nan. Even if you don't believe you've thought of her during the day, it's likely that she's always at the back of your mind, even if that doesn't manifest itself consciously.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

Einhard wrote: »
    Dreams are often manifestations of the conscious mind. Basically, we carry our thoughts from our waking moments into sleep. For example, if I play a computer game long enough, I dream of that game. If you are thinking of your nan throughout the day, it's not surprising that you should dream of her.

It's also believed though, that dreams give life to our unconscious minds. They express our subliminal thoughts. In other words, there are more things on your mind at a given moment than you are consciously aware of, and dreams express these hidden thoughts. That's probably why you dream of your nan. Even if you don't believe you've thought of her during the day, it's likely that she's always at the back of your mind, even if that doesn't manifest itself consciously.

I think about her at least once a week, and have photo of her in my room. You may think I'm a bit sad, but when I need help or strength I pray to Nana. I miss her so much, and I wish she was still here. I'm so sad about her loss, even though its been months since she died. Maybe my dreams are a way of her telling me she is ok? She was the nicest lady you could ever meet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Well if you believe in God then, in a real sense, you believe that she is still here. There's nothing wrong with talking or praying to her if that brings you comfort. And your dreams are just manifestations of your waking thoughts. They're entirely natural. And there's nothing wrong in mourning someone. It gets easier though. I lost a family member late last year (and I have her pic in my room too!), and whereas at first I used to think of her with sadness, as time went by the memories became more happy and I'd often laugh or smile when I remembered her. It'll be the same for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

"You never leave someone behind, you take a part of them with you and leave a part of yourself behind."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

That happened to me after my grandmother died, also after my father died. It will ease off after a while, but I still occasionally dream of her, even though she died in 1990. It can be very upsetting shortly after the death, but sort of comforting too.:)

Advertisement