Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bar Tape

• 17-04-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

I had a spill yesterday. Luckily noone else involved.

The handlebars took the brunt of it. Now I need new bar tape.

Are there any brands I should look out for or avoid?

Is it easy to change this myself? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If you liked what was on it already then get it again.

Otherwise I like the Easton cork tape and Fizik microtex tape.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And this is how you put the new tape on:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

I find the oul reliable BBB Brand very good around 10 euro bucks I think for the cork type.....But beware there is a knack to fitting bar tape and it kinda only comes with practice.... Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

+1 in the BBB tape ,i use the gel one .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    If you liked what was on it already then get it again.

Otherwise I like the Easton cork tape and Fizik microtex tape.

+1 on the Eaton, best tape I've ever used

Also, good simple advice on how to wrap from

http://bicycletutor.com/drop-handlebar-tape/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

dont get stella azzuri, it;s really grippy but impossible to keep clean.

i just fitted lizard skins dsp, expensive but by far the best tape I've ever ridden with.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

i just fitted lizard skins dsp, expensive but by far the best tape I've ever ridden with.

I had Lizardskins DSP for a while. It was nice, but wore through where the cuffs of my mitts were rubbing against it. Changed to this Ritchey Pro Tape which is just as good, lasting very well, and one third of the price. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=43136

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Fizik microtex tape.

+1 on this, I have the white fizik microtex on my bike for a year now and it is actually still white without ever giving it any attention! Not the most comfy/padded but I like my bars like this anyway. Around a tenner!

A0693.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Just today tried out the new tape I got, Specialized Bar Phat with gel inserts. Have to say it's great. Cycled from west Cork up to the city and on rough enough roads it was great.
    Haven't seen it here, got it in London, know Evans sell it online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

+1 on this, I have the white fizik microtex on my bike for a year now and it is actually still white without ever giving it any attention! Not the most comfy/padded but I like my bars like this anyway. Around a tenner!

Beware the "soft touch" variety though, I have it on my commuter and I just don't like the suede feel to it. It also seems to wear a little worse, looks tattier. I think it's just because I like my bar tape to match both the colour AND texture of my saddle.

I also used the fizik gel pads on this bike and have to say they are super comfy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Just today tried out the new tape I got, Specialized Bar Phat with gel inserts. Have to say it's great. Cycled from west Cork up to the city and on rough enough roads it was great.
    Haven't seen it here, got it in London, know Evans sell it online.

I've picked that up in Cycleways before... it was comfy alright.

I'm a Fizik or Standard 'cork' tape man myself, but I don't get to precious about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Thanks for all the replies. Most helpful!

Sure I might go a bit mad and get green ones sure! It's all happenin' over here folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Another +1 to the Fizik tape. Mine is white and it has stayed white. Few bits of oil got on it one day, washed straight off.

As for it not being offerly comfy, yeh it is skinny race tape. However I have some of the Fizik gel (http://www.slanecycles.com/fizik-bar-gel-set-black-microtex-bar-tape-p-3502.html) on mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

ive gotten pretty good at wrapping them what i do is take of the 3m backing so its not sticky by rubbing it on the tyre. its alot better and easier to use cos you cant rip it off when going back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

oh ye and makesure you finish whatever tape you use to hold it in place (pvc tape) under neath the bars so you dont see the little slit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

The choices in handlebar tape out there now is staggering. I remember the time when the only hadlebar tape you could get in a bike shop was ambrosio for about 3 quid. then cinelli came out with cork ribbon tape. And it was gorgeous in comparison!

Ive been tru a fair few brands in the last few yrs but fizik is my fav. (only downside is when it gets wet, it doesnt dry out quickly)

Advertisement