Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BRITTANY.

• 17-04-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭

Goin to Brittany this summer. Any one got any ideas of where to go, what to do, where to eat etc. All suggestions welcome.
    Thanks.
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Mont St. Michel on the Normandy/Brittany border is spectacular looking.

Oh, and make sure to taste the local cider - tastiest ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

I will certainly try the cider but I'm sure there's more to Brittany?
    We will be going to Carnac soon. Has anyone any suggestions for the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i went to brittany years ago with family, north britanny though, so i cant really talk about carnac or the area.
    I enjoyed just goint around the small towns, having local food, drinking local cider, trying out my horrendous french, chatting with locals about breton, etc. Morlaix is a pretty cool town, built in a valley with a massive bridge running over the top of it.
    Further south, saint-nazaire is one of frances busiest atlantic ports and has got a massive bridge crossing the bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

It's difficult to know where to start - there's Saint Malo (bon vent Le Renard!) (if that's where you coming over to) though as usual if you sit down outside a café looking out on the harbour you're obviously going to pay for the privilege - try going into the town, the prices should be a bit more reasonable. You can get the ferry over to Dinard (Compagnie Corsaire - The pirate boat) and walk round the headland - le Chemin de Ronde du Moulinet. A bit further ouest there's La Chaumière (restaurant) à la Pointe de la Décollé in Saint Lunaire. La pointe de Chevet, Saint Jacut de la Mer, Fort La Latte, Cap Fréhel, Erquy (vive la Sainte Jeanne et bon vent!) Port Dahouët and Le Zef (restaurant bar The Wind) on the Quai des Terre-neuvas (where they used to sail away to catch cod in the fog off Newfoundland) and there's a nice walk up around the headland and round to the beach.(and vive la Pauline et bon vent aussi!) - I'd better stop there or I'll be all night - Ken ar c'hentañ go léir
    Franc

Bon Soir Franc et merci ... (end of French)
    We're arriving at Roscoff but staying in Carnac.
    Any pointers for that area?
    Jim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

heading off there today, same area Carnac (via Roscoff) , if you have children I found a the guide book Frommer's :Brittany with your Family very useful

again as I have children I tend to look up family centric activities especially wet weather
    I found this list quite good.

If you want I Can mention any where I think is good as we head along, one thing I would say is have a few wet weather idea's and bring rain gear !
    If you look up the major camp site operators web sites they normally have suggestions for things to do in the area, the different companies have slightly different ideas.

vasch_ro wrote: »
    heading off there today, [/URL] quite good.

Ditto ! La Grand Metarie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I have been to Carnac - but a long time ago. It's an important megalithic site and there's a museum where you can find out all about it. There's a nice beach at Carnac Plage and the old port (Place Saint Sauveur) in the centre of Auray is nice. There are boat trips from there. There's the Golf de Morbihan which isn't too far away with some pretty islands to visit such as Gavrinis, Ile aux Moines. There's Locmariaquer - la Table des Marchands. Vannes is worth seeing.
    Here's the tourist office in Carnac
    http://www.ot-carnac.fr/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fiona12

Sorry I was too lazy to read through everyone's posts. In Carnac there is an Ice-cream shop that has the most flavours of ice-cream in the Guiness book of records, it is called Le Igloo, the kids loved it! Really enjoyed it there, weather was great and the campsite we were in - Le Grande Metairie, had a brilliant lazy river, you don't have to be a guest there, you can just pay for daily entry as far as I know.

Enjoy!

Staying in Les Menhirs close to the grand plage, due to rain yesterday headed to the aquarium in Vannes, its about a hours worth of a visit ,but good and then next door to the garden of butterflies which my my young crew loved,went to Quiberon on the pennisula today lovely spot,great scenery enroute

• Advertisement

There is a reduced rate for both under 4 go free, I would like to check out La Grand Metarie ,anyone we met staying there loves it, forecast looks better for the weekend fingers crossed!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I've been to Brittany a few times including hitch-hiking for week back in the 1990's. Recommend the Province as a complete destination and I would throw in the town of Angers aswell with it's huge Norman Castle and Tapestry.

St. Mont Michel (whether it's inside or outside of Brittany) it's definitively a highlight.

The walled towns of Dinard and Dinan.
    I remember the small port of Paimpol was nice.

Try and get out to an island. Ile de Batz off Roscoff is very accessible.

I had crepes at the inland port of Redon. One of my first experiences of seeing a huge amount of small boats, barges and yachts inland. Took me completely by suprise. Redon seems to be equidistant between Vannes, Nantes and Rennes. Rennes had old grid-planned streets near the train station.

It's possible to get boat tours of the islands around the enclosed bay of Vannes, Golf de Moribhan

I hope to visit Carnac and other prehistoric sites on future trips.
    I understand the forest of Paimpont (Foret de paimpont), near Rennes, is supposed to be a location for the legends of King Arthur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

If you have kids, this place is worth a trip.
    Its ridiculously cheap considering the size and the number of activities.

http://www.parc-loisirs-belair.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Local markets: Find out what days the markets are on in Carnac and in nearby towns. Very interesting - food, clothing, animals, plants, etc etc.

Crepes and gallettes - with the cidre!

Various WW2 sites e.g. Lorient, Brest. Depends how far you plan to travel

Picnics and bucket 'n' spades on any of the fabulous beaches.

Advertisement