Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

postoffice ruined photo

Options
  • 17-04-2010 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

my son got confirmed march 18th , got fotos taken . school got them back the next week for the parents to choose which ones they would like to keep. i wanted the three of them cos i wanted to send one down to my brother in connemara galway. he is his godfather so he wanted one of his godchild . so last tuesday i sent it, txted to see if he got it , he told me that the foto has a hole right through the bubble wrap envelope that i got for it so it wouldnt get bended. it also had the backing that it came with from photographer.. the hole is gone trough the face , its U shape im told, havent seen it myself he is sending it up to me on monday to bring it to the postoffice. i didnt register it, i thought who would do that just for a foto. the lady in the postoffice didnt say cos i told her it was a foto . i dont have another foto like the one that got damaged. im very upset over it cos it was a lovely foto of him . it costed me money. the upsetting part is my brother wanted it for his kids to see it cos they couldnt go to the service , they had exames at collage. doea anyone have any idea what rites i have or what will be done ??:(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can put in a claim but it takes ages, think the maximum compensation for un insured items is between 10 and 20 euro. The school should be able to organize another one, somebody somewhere had the original photo.

Tbh it's not worth the bother trying to get some compensation, if your sending anything of importance make sure it's insured!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do as drunkmonkey suggested. Get in touch with the post office and register a claim for the damaged photo.

In the meantime, the photographer should still have the original photo - so maybe you could contact him to arrange for another copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

thanks guys for that..think i,ll deliver it in person the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the post office will more than likely just come back saying - you should have said it registered postage/insured postage ...and should have packed it more securely and clearly marked it as "photograph - do not bend"

Fingers crossed they accept that they did it and compensate you for the reprint and hassle of sending again (I would expect they would just refund postage and maybe a token gesture €5-10 as compensation)

PCPhoto wrote: »
    the post office will more than likely just come back saying - you should have said it registered postage/insured postage ...and should have packed it more securely and clearly marked it as "photograph - do not bend"

Fingers crossed they accept that they did it and compensate you for the reprint and hassle of sending again (I would expect they would just refund postage and maybe a token gesture €5-10 as compensation)
    i done all that except insure it. on each corner i put in black felt pin DO NOT BEND FOTO. they will see it when i show it to them in its original state. it was done on both sides..in this day in age could they handle things more carefully.. do the post go up to dublin for the sorting side of things? think they do. cos any letter we get has a dublin stamp,n thingy on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can the photographer run you another copy at cost price if you give him the damaged one back as a gesture of goodwill?

There are specific non foldable envelopes that can be purchased, probably a little late for that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Can the photographer run you another copy at cost price if you give him the damaged one back as a gesture of goodwill?

There are specific non foldable envelopes that can be purchased, probably a little late for that now.
    an post surtely have a duty of care for all items sent in the post and regardless of post lost surtely if their own sorting machines eat up padded envelopes they should be held accountable? insurance should only be necessary for valuable items that require extra insurance in case of loss theft by staff etc but normal post should be covered fully as it is their "bread and butter"

if they cant handle a simple photograph maybe it is time to pack up the desks and resign from the high paid an post jobs and hand the keys over to some courier companies who would do a much better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Report & claim at the post office else they will never improve.

well ive sent of the form to head office in dublin freepost. it looks like it got stuck in machine for sorting letters ect. the lady in the local post office said to me that i might get some where or get a letter saying it wasnt in the right envelope . she said to foto copy ti first and keep the original to see how i get on. oh and she said good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

unfortunately it seems it was not in a suitable envelope. A bubble envelope is totally unsuitable for photographs - you need to use a cardboad backed envelope that clearly states it contains photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I would contest that An Post have on obligation to ensure your items reach their destination in a fit state which is clearly not the case with this delivery thus making them liable of the damage caused by their employee.

MC

91011 wrote: »
    unfortunately it seems it was not in a suitable envelope. A bubble envelope is totally unsuitable for photographs - you need to use a cardboad backed envelope that clearly states it contains photos.
    well then why didnt the post lady tell me that, i told her what was in it, i had DONT BEND FOTO wrote on the three corners in black felt pin . they would have to be bloody blind not to see it. im so mad bout this they are a buisness to get letters from A to B safely. its very careless of them . i wont get the price of the foto cos they dont if its not registered or a money order. im not given up on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

blond45 wrote: »
    well then why didnt the post lady tell me that, i told her what was in it, i had DONT BEND FOTO wrote on the three corners in black felt pin . they would have to be bloody blind not to see it. im so mad bout this they are a buisness to get letters from A to B safely. its very careless of them . i wont get the price of the foto cos they dont if its not registered or a money order. im not given up on this.

All mail is sorted by machines in Ireland, only when an address cannot be read by the machines does it get handled by hand.

Therefore it is very important that the sender uses the appropriate cover for sending an item as most post office staff are just counter staff with very little knowledge of how the delivery system works. Writing instructions on an envelope won't matter except at local level with the postie himself that is delivering to you.

Example of routing system

Posting from Letterkenny in Donegal to Buncrana in Donegal.

Letterkenny - Portlaoise / Dublin - Buncrana

As for compensation, it may be possible, but I doubt it, probably easier & less hassle to get a reprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Regardless of what kind of envelope was used, a hole through the center is not acceptable. Had the OP been complaining that it was bent or crumpled then An Post could claim she used the wrong envelope.....but a hole through the middle? I think not!

Push on OP, they need to admit they were at fault and did not supply the expected standard of service, if nothing else!

Advertisement