Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Komplett are in a mess so where else to buy

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i've had one problem with pixmania, but other than that, i find them very reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

i dont agree.

i specc'd up a small upgrade last night on pixmania and hardwareversand.

including delivery from pixmania the total was 421.
    including delivery from hardwareversand, the total was 416.

now, factor in i can pay with my laser with pixmania right away, and items will be here in 2 - 3 days.

with hardwareversand, i have to go to the bank, and transfer, wait for the money to clear, and then delivery 3 - 5 days.

Now try Elara.ie, they are Irish and take laser as well. Hardwareversand used be great value last year, not so good now when You add on the €30 shipping. I've shopped with Hardwareversand several times, after the first transaction is setup with Your bank it becomes completely painless, just click and order and bank transfer the money online, just add the extra few days delivery. Lately though I use Elara as the prices of pc parts here has fallen dramatically since last year.

Pixmania messed up an order of a xmas present on my Mother and left Her shopping searching elsewhere with little time, said an item was in stock, when it clearly wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

i dont agree.

i specc'd up a small upgrade last night on pixmania and hardwareversand.

including delivery from pixmania the total was 421.
    including delivery from hardwareversand, the total was 416.

now, factor in i can pay with my laser with pixmania right away, and items will be here in 2 - 3 days.

with hardwareversand, i have to go to the bank, and transfer, wait for the money to clear, and then delivery 3 - 5 days.

Fair point. Everything really boils down to how any online retailer deals with problems and in my experience, unfortunately it's pot luck. i say that with real feeling too, having worked in retail for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MartyMcG

I was at Komplett's at the weekend pick-up point I asked the guy what was up with the website and basically it looks like a botched IT upgrade of their systems. I'm now trying to contact them about a possible dodgy mobo. It looks like I might have to return to the pickup point just to be able to contact them. On the plus side they actually have a location you can harass them at!

I have never had a problem with pixmania (bought a couple of things 2 weeks ago), but a guy I work with had major problems. His camera was stolen in transit (confirmed by courier co.) and they didn't want to know. I think he needed his credit card company to contact them before they would deal with it. It took months. In the process they started bouncing his emails and he had to set up a separate email addresses just to contact them. Ridiculous behaviour.

Doccy's right. It's pure luck but Komplett's reputation is taking a real hammering.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'm not sure but Komplett's RMA database might be fried too! :eek:

Pretty sure this isn't Komplett's fault guys, Paradigit or a hireling seems to have successfully nuked the database while transferring stuff onto Paradigit's systems. Hopefully all will go back to normal once the rebuilding is complete, but I'm guessing it'll take a while due to the magnitude of both quantity and importance of data lost irretrievably :( No need to kick them while they're down, you know this ain't normal operating procedure for them! Not like some people anyway... *cough*Dabs*cough* :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I would be very concerned about a large commercial enterprise like Komplett that don't backup their databases. A failed migration shouldn't affect anything. Bad sign for me.

Overclockers is the one I have used most over the years without any issues at all. Recently though I get a call from BOI before the payment can go through. Last time they told me overclockers is permanently flagged with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I made the error of ordering from komplett.ie a couple of weeks ago. It's impossible to get through to them on the phone and they didn't reply to any of my emails! :mad:

I've order the rest of my items from elara.ie and had no problems at all. Best of all there collection point is a 2 minute drive to park west for me! :D

I'll not need to use komplett again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

mewso wrote: »
    Last time they told me overclockers is permanently flagged with them.

Which is even a worse sign than a database not backed up! :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

mewso wrote: »
    I would be very concerned about a large commercial enterprise like Komplett that don't backup their databases. A failed migration shouldn't affect anything. Bad sign for me.

Overclockers is the one I have used most over the years without any issues at all. Recently though I get a call from BOI before the payment can go through. Last time they told me overclockers is permanently flagged with them.

It appears from reading the Komplett forum that they still have all the original data, but it is simply not accessible at the moment. At a guess I would think that by making a raft of changes simultaneously when moving to a new warehouse, a new stock system and changing the web front end they may have simply left themselves with no rollback path in the event of problems. Still an extraordinary situation for a large Online trader to allow to develop.

Likely they are in a position where a rollback would be just as difficult and time consuming as fixing the existing migration problems, if not impossible, so they have no choice but to press on.

I have every sympathy for customer facing guys like like Ryan and Marc who are bearing the brunt of a mess not of their making.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

marco_polo wrote: »
    It appears from reading the Komplett forum that they still have all the original data, but it is simply not accessible at the moment. At a guess I would think that by making a raft of changes simultaneously when moving to a new warehouse, a new stock system and changing the web front end they may have simply left themselves with no rollback path in the event of problems. Still an extraordinary situation for a large Online trader to allow to develop.

Likely they are in a position where a rollback would be just as difficult and time consuming as fixing the existing migration problems, if not impossible, so they have no choice but to press on.

I have every sympathy for customer facing guys like like Ryan and Marc who are bearing the brunt of a mess not of their making.

QFT.

Bear in mind this wasn't a decision of Komplett's making - they were subjected to a forced migration after a (partly hostile??) takeover of the original business overseas, and now that something's gone wrong they probably don't have backward compatibility and/or legal issues with the backups (as the backups probably still technically belong to Komplett while the migrated stuff and intended destination for everything is all ParaDigit).

I'm locking this thread now, as I'm pretty sure most people who want to use Komplett in the future now know of the issues, and in the meantime all that can happen is a bit of very unfair name-bashing by annoyed customers and clients. If you do have a genuine issue with Komplett (RMA pending, order or refund AWOL, accounts wiped...) then head over to the Komplett forum or (if possible) take a trip down to the pick-up point in Blanchardstown. Just remember that these guys aren't to blame for this mess (and in many cases have given you very good service on previous occasions) so don't make their lives too much of a misery! :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement