Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel awful for the poor dog

Options
  • 17-04-2010 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

theres a dog who lives near my mam and i see him every week. Over the last couple of months I've seen him kind of limping a bit but just put it down to getting older but when i saw him today he was limping quite badly and seriously panting. So i pulled in and got my own dogs dish and water to give him a drink. He took a small sip of water but I noticed that his hind leg has some sores on it and he looks like he might be in pain. Judging on how hes walking he must be in some pain.

I was going to call into his family but lets just say they are quite unpleasant so I imagine the response wouldn't be great at all so what can i do? The dog doesn't know me so its not like I could sneak him to the vet or anything like that (not that I've the money, I'm out of work). I just feel so sorry for him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Does he look old in other ways? Like is he greying around the muzzle or anything?

Poor dog. It could just be that he's old. And old dogs often get sores on their legs. If their legs hurt from arthritis then they'll lie on concrete to cool down their joints and they get sores. It should be treated though . . .

I don't know what to do really, it's such a tough situation. I would say call the dog warden but if they take him away then he could just be PTS.

He is left wandering outside his garden yeah? And does there look like there's anything else wrong with him, like is he thin? or dirty? or anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My sister has a 16 year old JRT who has a prolaspe at her backside which makes it look like she is limping on her back leg. She has seen a vet but due to her age they have just told my sister to keep an eye on her to see if the prolapse gets bigger or if the dog seems in any pain, when this happens they will have to look at putting her to sleep but for the time being she happy just to sleep most of the day and having her dinner. I'm not saying that this is necessaily the case which the dog you have seen but old dogs often have ailments which aren't treatable and to an outsider might appear like abuse, I'm sure if anyone seen my sister's dog who didn't know her they would think the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

there is some comfort in your post Irushe and I hope this is the case with this dog.

He definitely isn't thin. He does look a bit dirty but I'd say this is because he walks the streets all day which I personally hate to see. Hes a big dog so with his back leg limping he looks like hes really struggling. The sores aren't really big, they are a bit red. I just hate to think of the poor dog in pain day after day but then again it could just be old age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Poor dog. It's sad that he's walking the streets too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

MissyN wrote: »
    theres a dog who lives near my mam and i see him every week. Over the last couple of months I've seen him kind of limping a bit but just put it down to getting older but when i saw him today he was limping quite badly and seriously panting. So i pulled in and got my own dogs dish and water to give him a drink. He took a small sip of water but I noticed that his hind leg has some sores on it and he looks like he might be in pain. Judging on how hes walking he must be in some pain.

I was going to call into his family but lets just say they are quite unpleasant so I imagine the response wouldn't be great at all so what can i do? The dog doesn't know me so its not like I could sneak him to the vet or anything like that (not that I've the money, I'm out of work). I just feel so sorry for him.

Sorry to hear about that dog. Chances are by the sounds of it, is that the dog, being a big dog and possibly older, there may be some arthritis there, the sores may also be down to the dog lying dog - kind of like pressure sores, panting can also be a sign of pain in dogs. Youve said youve not the money to take him to the vet, I was wondering if you tried giving the DSPCA a call, they have mobile units that could come out and have a look at the dog, if they feel it is in need of treatment, they can give it, at no cost to you, the call can be anon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

I'll just keep an eye on the dog. I only see him once every couple of weeks so any deterioration does stand out.

My own dog is so spoilt that i hate to see any dog go through any hardship at all.

Advertisement