Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis March planned in Cork, May 8th

Options
  • 17-04-2010 7:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭

http://www.corkstudentnews.com/news/cannabis-march-planned-in-cork-may-5th-4479

LEGALIZE CANNABIS IRELAND, a political group and advocacy organization promoting and lobbying for the legalization of cannabis, has announced that they will be holding a march on Saturday May 8th to coincide with the 4th Annual Worldwide Marijuana March day.

The march will begin at 2PM on May 8th with a crowd assembling outside the Bishop Lucy Park. The purpose of the march is to gather together a large number of people to promote the legalization of marijuana, both as a recreation and medicinal substance.

The group, founded only two and a half years’ ago, has previously held marches in Dublin and Cork which were both viewed as great successes.

Previous demonstrations which the party has organized include ‘J-Days’ where protesters will smoke cannabis in public in a blatant show of defiance to the authorities; the group’s Facebook page says that there were arrests made following such a protest in 2006. Although it’s not clear whether the Cork protest will involve a ’smoke-up’, it is a possibility.

The group believes that the full legalization of cannabis will lead to: decrease in general crime rate, easing of the drugs problem, increase in police and court and other benefits.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

When do we get a Coke and Yoke's day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I would not consent to it being legalised or decriminalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Cork turns into fecking Galway for a day, great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

As a medicinal use fair enough if its actually proven....as a recreation use......im sure ye can find something else to past away yer days with lads. Have no problem with people using it or anything but i cringe at the thought of these marches to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Even though I (and everyone else for that matter) know that it's not going to achieve anything, a March/Protest/Rally is always a good thing in my book. Shows that we're not afraid of the government and that our voices should be heard, preferably in large groups.

People power ftw!

• Advertisement

blow69 wrote: »
    Even though I (and everyone else for that matter) know that it's not going to achieve anything, a March/Protest/Rally is always a good thing in my book. Shows that we're not afraid of the government and that our voices should be heard, preferably in large groups.

People power ftw!

Good in theory, I've always wondered how effective those marches actually are though. The kind of people who care enough about legalisation to actually show up tend not to be the best poster children for the movement. There's probably lots of productive members of society with nice haircuts and synthetic fabrics in their clothes who support legalisation and smoke regularly but woke up on the morning of the march and realised they couldn't be arsed going. So the place just fills up with manky hippies (says I) and the not totally unjustified stereotypes of the "typical stoner" are reinforced. I support legalisation, but I wouldn't go near that march because I have some pre-conceptions, based on previous experience, of the crowd that's likely to be at it and the slogans that are likely to spouted, and I'd just spend the day being very embarassed on other people's behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

just fills up with manky hippies (says I) and

Nothing wrong with us hippies

Wait i got rid of my hippie hair.........i now look like a respectable citizen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

This march won't change a thing -cannabis will never be legalised (and rightly so IMO), so why waste your time and energy marching?! :confused::rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with us hippies

Wait i got rid of my hippie hair.........i not look like a respectable citizen :D

Ah the ol Freudian typo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

colblimp wrote: »
    This march won't change a thing -cannabis will never be legalised (and rightly so IMO), so why waste your time and energy marching?! :confused::rolleyes:

with close minded and intolerant people u may be right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Good in theory, I've always wondered how effective those marches actually are though. The kind of people who care enough about legalisation to actually show up tend not to be the best poster children for the movement. There's probably lots of productive members of society with nice haircuts and synthetic fabrics in their clothes who support legalisation and smoke regularly but woke up on the morning of the march and realised they couldn't be arsed going. So the place just fills up with manky hippies (says I) and the not totally unjustified stereotypes of the "typical stoner" are reinforced. I support legalisation, but I wouldn't go near that march because I have some pre-conceptions, based on previous experience, of the crowd that's likely to be at it and the slogans that are likely to spouted, and I'd just spend the day being very embarassed on other people's behalf

+1.

That said though, it's not like alot of respectable people could march in these things, for fear that it might affect their careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Ya, I think its a niche interest and will probably draw the hardcore. I'm indifferent towards it and a lot of people are probably the same. Indifference it hard to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Als76

I would legalise but it would have to be setup properly and i doubt our Government are capable of that. It will always be available and the country badly needs the tax receipts it would bring in. A march is a bot of craic but it wont change anything as tew ministers who can change the laws wont back anything to do with drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Wouldn't predict a massive turnout. Nothing against smoking but it's difficult to motivate stoners to do anything let alone march !! There will prob be more DS there than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Cork turns into fecking Galway for a day, great

Ah how bad, Galway is great! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

ill be there, ill be stoned,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I won't be there. But I'll be stoned. Love smoking but f*ck that stigma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

decent turnout...... lovely smell of WEED and HASH there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

i'd say a lot of the protesters will forget about it or turn up on the wrong day, wrong time or wrong place...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

i'd say a lot of the protesters will forget about it or turn up on the wrong day, wrong time or wrong place...

I'd say your comment is ironic in the sense that you're making assumptions about cannabis users without looking at the facts... like the fact that the March was a week and a half ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Some people eh :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Kold wrote: »
    I'd say your comment is ironic in the sense that you're making assumptions about cannabis users without looking at the facts... like the fact that the March was a week and a half ago.

haha, i was stoned reading it

Advertisement